Can I adjust T.16000 Hotas so the ship will coast when I let go of roll or turn?

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Locke
Poor
Poor

Can I adjust T.16000 Hotas so the ship will coast when I let go of roll or turn?

Post by Locke »

Hi, I'm very new here, been setting up my Thrustmaster T.16000M all day. It's working nicely, except that if I'm rolling or yawing, when I let go of the stick the motion stops dead in its tracks. Is there a way to set something up so there would be some natural coasting along the movement vector?
I don't need perfect realism, but the sudden immediate stop in mid space is killing my immersion...
If it helps, I'm on PC, Windows 11, played Elite on an Amiga back in the 80s, and played Elite Dangerous for several years, so I'm middling to fair with computers and games. On the bad side... I'm in my mid-60s now, and my skill with computers "ain't what she used to be."

Thank you for any help!!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Can I adjust T.16000 Hotas so the ship will coast when I let go of roll or turn?

Post by Cholmondely »

Welcome!

Can’t help with this one, but those who can should be along shortly!

Hoping that you are deriving some enjoyment from the dreaded Oolite experience…
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Can I adjust T.16000 Hotas so the ship will coast when I let go of roll or turn?

Post by hiran »

Locke wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:02 am
Hi, I'm very new here, been setting up my Thrustmaster T.16000M all day. It's working nicely, except that if I'm rolling or yawing, when I let go of the stick the motion stops dead in its tracks. Is there a way to set something up so there would be some natural coasting along the movement vector?
I don't need perfect realism, but the sudden immediate stop in mid space is killing my immersion...
I'm not into the game too much, but I am aware what you're talking about. There were multiple discussions on this board - one of them I could find here:
viewtopic.php?t=21351
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Locke
Poor
Poor

Post by Locke »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support!
Hiran, I read the link, it's certainly pertinent and interesting. Similar to what I was looking for, a little inertia as I release the stick. Not so much an issue with the throttle, as it stays where I leave it.
Truthfully, I don't expect a solution, if there's not a simple toggle control built into the game. And this morning I achieved a pretty good manual dock, without the rotation being an issue. Turns out, in practice, and with practice, it's starting to feel natural.

Cholmondely, In my searches I see your posts (and people quoting you) far and wide. This may not be directly in your wheelhouse, but you've already been of significant help, even if inadvertantly. Thanks for all the info you've shared!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

This is a quite interesting request. The stick input code behaves differently to the keyboard equivalent. Keyboard controls have this inertia thing you are after but joystick controls don't.

This is because keys or stick buttons can have a binary pressed/unpressed state, but stick axes are analog and they output a range of values between these two extremes. It comes down to finding a way of distinguishing between the stick returning to neutral position as a result of the player releasing it vs manually "driving" it there (in which case you don't want to apply any movement dampener). There doesn't seem to be a perfect solution to this out there (which is why it is interesting). I have an idea how to do it but unfortunately no joystick to test it with.

So it's a good thing you are already getting used to it. If I manage to get my hands on a joystick or a gamepad at some point I might have a go at it.
Locke
Poor
Poor

Post by Locke »

I'd be interested in hearing any progress you eventually make (or don't make). I noticed the difference even on the stick itself, between "buttons", versus axes. It makes a lot of sense the way you describe it. And yes, I'm glad it's starting to click.
I take forever to learn new things, and a lot of repetition to keep the memories. Oolite resonates with original Elite for me, I hope that will smooth the learning process. Looking forward to actually playing!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Locke wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:32 pm
Looking forward to actually playing!
How goes it?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?