Oolite Website Domain & Fixing the Expansions Manager

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite Website Domain & Fixing the Expansions Manager

Post by Wildeblood »

timer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:45 pm
Lately, I periodically see how the site of our forum (phpBB) freezes and sometimes I clearly see errors from server, like 50x (it is not network problems). Question - is it just me or does this happen to you too?
I'm in Australia, and the BB had been unavailable for 12 hours or more yesterday.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Problems with the List on the Expansions Manager/Oolite Starter

Just reading through the list and noticed the following:

ACTIVITIES

Additional planets SR Redux Pack - this should be under Ambience, not under Activities.

Deep Space Pirates - typoes: adds additional pirates outside the main trading lanes

AMBIANCE/AMBIENCE - which spelling?

BGS/BackGroundSet - there are now 3 versions of this on the list (1.10.9; 1.10.8; 2.5.4)

Cargo Wrecks Teaser - typo: adds different models

Dark Ray - typo: not only your's laser but NPCs' lasers too

Display Reputation - 2 versions - and the confusing description for the first (if kept) should be replaced with that for the second.

Famous Planets - (error): the theme tunes were removed back in 2013

Leesti is Moon LSM 8k - typo: historical

Random Station Names: (error): has this not now been replaced with The Galactic Almanac?

Reaistic Stars: typo in name (Realistic)

Start Advice: typoes: "Pops up an info screen for new commanders with useful advice"
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:44 pm
Display Reputation - 2 versions - and the confusing description for the first (if kept) should be replaced with that for the second.
They're not two versions, they just happen to have the same name because they do the same thing. And McLane's name is on mine because I used one of his files. The next version will probably say, "Wildeblood & ChatGPT" as authors. :mrgreen:

There are two versions of Undocumented Launch on there. Which is very odd; I uploaded the second version way back when, but in my absence someone added the older version as well.
"Would somebody stop that bloody music!"
Bogatyr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bogatyr »

Just a note that "oolite.org" is still embedded in several places in the most recent commit.
I filed an issue on github for this.
This affects the Mac build, but since the mac build is persona non grata right now, I suppose that's not on anybody's radar

% git log
4c52dabaa (HEAD -> master, tag: 1.91.0.7628-240911-4c52dab, origin/master, origin/HEAD) Now signing our exr snapshots.

git grep oolite.org
Doc/CHANGELOG.TXT:* New web site at oolite.org. (Hey, it's in the subversion log.)
deps/URLs/libpng.url:http://oolite.org/dependencies/mac/libp ... 13.tar.bz2
deps/URLs/sparkle.url:http://oolite.org/dependencies/mac/Sparkle%201.5b6.zip
installers/autopackage/default.x86.apspec:Packager: Konstantinos Sykas <[email protected]>
installers/autopackage/default.x86_64.apspec:Packager: Konstantinos Sykas <[email protected]>
installers/posix/makeself-header.sh:# Konstantinos Sykas <[email protected]> changes follow:
installers/posix/setup.body:# Original by Konstantinos Sykas <[email protected]> (26-Mar-2011)
installers/posix/uninstall.source:# Original by Konstantinos Sykas <[email protected]> (26-Mar-2011)
src/Core/GameController.m:#define FEED_URL_BASE "http://www.oolite.org/updates/"
src/Core/OOOXZManager.m:/*static NSString * const kOOOXZDataURL = @"http://addons.oolite.org/api/1.0/overview";*/
tools/nightly-build/mac/config/ftp_url:ftp://ftp.oolite.org/mac/
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Out of all these only 1 is code related and should not be standing in the way of building the game anyway. This:
src/Core/GameController.m:#define FEED_URL_BASE "http://www.oolite.org/updates/"

But this is referring to Sparkle, which is apparently a Mac-specific external software so if you were not ever using it then no worries. I guess we can change it in the source but I doubt it will be of any help for anything.

All other references are either text files not partaking in the build, email addresses of ex-contributors who are out of reach today or locations of dependencies for old versions of automated builds which are irrelevant today. The one other reference of oolite.org in the oxz manager source is commented out code so it is not used now.

Edit: The changelog entry is fine too. It refers to the time when we switched the main website to oolite org so it is part of history.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Yes, Sparkle is Mac-specific. It (used to be) used for automated updates of applications. In the interest of simplicity I would probably remove this dependency if I were a Mac developer.
Bogatyr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bogatyr »

another_commander wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:14 am
Out of all these only 1 is code related and should not be standing in the way of building the game anyway. This:

But this is referring to Sparkle, which is apparently a Mac-specific external software so if you were not ever using it then no worries. I guess we can change it in the source but I doubt it will be of any help for anything.

All other references are either text files not partaking in the build, email addresses of ex-contributors who are out of reach today or locations of dependencies for old versions of automated builds which are irrelevant today. The one other reference of oolite.org in the oxz manager source is commented out code so it is not used now.

Edit: The changelog entry is fine too. It refers to the time when we switched the main website to oolite org so it is part of history.
My XCode 11.3.1 build attempt of version
4c52dabaa (HEAD -> master, tag: 1.91.0.7628-240911-4c52dab, origin/master, origin/HEAD) Now signing our exr snapshots.

(running on MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave, 2018 Macbook Pro) got as far as failing to download the libpng stuff, so
deps/URLs/libpng.url
and probably by inference the sparkle deps/URLs
cause build failures.
At that point I stopped and did the grep, so that more experienced eyes could identify any other problematic cases that needed updating.

The Mac build, if anyone cares to continue to try to support it, will require a host for those binaries. Can someone put them onto oolite.space/downloads or /dependencies? The 2nd line of libpng.url by the way still functions, is that jens.ayton a former Mac dev?

This is the old first line:
http://oolite.org/dependencies/mac/libp ... 13.tar.bz2

The 2nd line still works:
http://jens.ayton.se/oolite/deps/libpng-1.5.13.tar.bz2
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Jens Ayton = Ahruman

Aegidian & Ahruman (our first two Lead Developers) were both Mac men. Our third, Cim, was a Windows chap.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

phkb managed a Mac build so where was he getting the required dependency binaries from?

Also, cim was a Linux guy, may have had access to Windows machines but was developing on Linux.