Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

GalCorp Mission Question

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lathanda
Average
Average

GalCorp Mission Question

Post by Lathanda »

I have the mission to recover a black box between two systems in interstellar space.

The question is, how can I get there?

Until now I was never able to find any of the mission targets.

Is the extension working at all?
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Re: GalCorp Mission Question

Post by MrFlibble »

Lathanda wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:53 am
I have the mission to recover a black box between two systems in interstellar space.

The question is, how can I get there?

Until now I was never able to find any of the mission targets.

Is the extension working at all?
To get to interstellar space, set course for the other system and hit H, then, when the countdown gets to 2, hit up and hold it. Basically, be manoeuvring as the witchdrive kicks in.

... and yes, the extension works well. I've had many hours of fun with it.
Lathanda
Average
Average

Post by Lathanda »

Thank you, will try that.
Last edited by Lathanda on Sun May 19, 2024 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Lathanda wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:35 pm
Thank you will try that.
Just watch out for the O'Nasties when you do it...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Lathanda
Average
Average

Post by Lathanda »

Doesn't work.

Up doesn't do anything.

Down really induces a misjump, but aside of 12 Thargoid Warships, (an ridiculous amount of enemies), there is no derelict ship to salvage.
Last edited by Lathanda on Sun May 19, 2024 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

You need to use the keyboard - hold down the arrow down when you get to 2 seconds to go until you jump.
Lathanda
Average
Average

Post by Lathanda »

I don't see any way to complete that mission. But at least a forced misjump using an energiebomb and flee, is an easy way to earn money.

The respawn rate of thargoids is much too high. After killing all Thargoids with an energiebomb i have 12 Sec, before the next wave appears. Enough time to escape, but impossible to win or collect a blackbox, even it would be there.
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Lathanda wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:02 am
(an ridiculous amount of enemies), there is no derelict ship to salvage.
Did you get any messages in your log file?
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

Lathanda wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:40 am
I don't see any way to complete that mission. But at least a forced misjump using an energiebomb and flee, is an easy way to earn money.

The respawn rate of thargoids is much too high. After killing all Thargoids with an energiebomb i have 12 Sec, before the next wave appears. Enough time to escape, but impossible to win or collect a blackbox, even it would be there.
First: Apologies for the up/down confusion. I've been playing this so long I forgot which physical key I was pressing to "pull up"... it is of course the down cursor key.

I've just found one of these missions and flown it to refresh my memory.

Set the shortest single hop route as specified in the mission, any other route will lead to normal interstellar space (all thargoids, no mission targets).

When in interstellar space, look for the derelict ship. If it's not in scanner range, you can use the Range Finder MFD to locate black boxes, even those still contained in derelict ships. When you find the derelict, shoot it until it blows up, no more, and the black box will be left behind. Scoop it up, set course for the originating station, and witchspace there to collect your reward.

Sometimes, if you time it right and the Thargoids spawn in the right places, you'll be able to dash to the derelict, shoot it, scoop the black box, then jump-on back to normal space without even needing to shoot a Thargoid. I got lucky this time, the Thargoids were busy battling a fleet of navy vipers.

I don't know for sure, but perhaps your energy bomb blew up the derelict and it's black box. The black boxes used to be rather easy to destroy, but I believe they got hardened a few months ago.

If you don't find the derelict after reloading and retrying a few times, then please check your logs for any errors, as suggested by phkb.