Wiki backup server is available

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Wiki backup server is available

Post by phkb »

Yeah.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Perhaps some protocols need to be put into place.

1) Administrator approval of a first post.
2) Proven track record of posts (a few months ?) before edit status is given to any part of Oolite.
3) Anything anyone else can come up with ?

Understandably we are a trusting lot. This is a somewhat small niche community so who would want to come along and screw it up. Unfortunately the world has come to a point where precautions almost have to be taken in order to avoid hacks and malware.

As an example, many years ago, while looking for work, posted my resume at a few of the larger U.S. job sites. Since most job searches these days are done via e-mail my primary e-mail address was included on the resume. BIG MISTAKE. Within a few days, and right up to today, my primary e-mail address is flooded with spam and junk at a rate of over 100 e-mails a day. The lesson here is to create a secondary e-mail address (Google, Hot Mail, etc.) just for the job search. It may be time for the Oolite community to also take a few similar precautions. Thoughts ?
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

This thread is about wiki backups, not about our trust model.
But still: when have you last tried to register to this site? Some of the stuff you suggest is already in place. At least on the Forum. I can talk very little about our Wiki.

And that's what we need to take care of: We need to actively maintain these sites - not hope that it is being taken care of by someone who is not even active here.

My gut feeling is that this guy either knew the wiki would be going down and wanted to tell us, or he found out it was down already and wanted to tell us.
Although in the latter case he would not have to ask for the admin. He could just have mentioned. Yet I do not see where the lack of our admin would change anything on the trust model.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite