Famous Structures

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Famous Structures

Post by pagroove »

After Famous Planets is out. I suggest someone could also do a Famous Structures planets with Objects like:

Tionisla orbital Array (from the Tionisla Cronicle)
GASEC Shipworks at Vetitice

Several other system unique structures?

Prison stations
Museums?
Orbital cities, you name it.

Only difference is that they are unique to a system so therefore making the system even more unique.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

A very good idea.

I had a similar idea of adding my Onrira Orbital Zoo. (not that it is famous other than it exists in my YAH ad in set G)

But this could be done in a more generic way.

1) special/specific structures such as the Tionisla Orbital Array etc.

2) Generic structures. Some algorithm that adds generic structures to the system based on what would be expected for a particular system.

The reason to do both in the same OXP would be that if there is a famous shipyard in a system then the generic algorithm side, that says that there should be 2 shipyards in that system, knows only to add one generic shipyard instead of two.

It would need to be an engine so that other oxps can register their special structures with it for the same reason of letting the generic algorithm know.

Generic types to add could include:

Shipyards
Habitats
Prisons
Factories
Orbital Defenses

Of course that could be done separately provided this Famous Structures OXP could be interrogated for special structures and their types.

In either case we will need a list of structures. People to design them and someone to put it together.

I would be willing to help (and I stress only help) with the putting together bit. (my "ship" design skills are currently non-existent)

Phantor Gorth
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re:Famous Structures

Post by Cholmondely »

PhantorGorth wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:56 pm
Shipyards
Habitats
Prisons
Factories
Orbital Defenses
We currently have the following (almost all generic):

Shipyards - Mandotech (probably needs rather more than a "mere" retexture), KW's Isis Interstellar (G2: Shipyard or Shrine?)
Habitats - Kiota station, Colonization
Prisons
Factories - Imperial Astrofactory, CZGF, SLAPU, Kiota station, ocz's Solar Harvester, Amaranth's unfinished Refinery Station
Orbital Defenses - Leviathan platform (Aquatics)

Other structures of note include Taranis, the Coluber station, the Aquatics stations at Aqualina in G3.

And some of Littlebear's stations in G7 could be replaced with custom designs if anybody had the time and inclination...

Shipyards seem to me the most important of what we're missing. (All the references to GASEC, Zorgon Petterson, etc.)

One of the fun things in Oolite (for me) is discovering something new in a system. This is tarnished by knowing what OXPs I've included - and what they each do.

A Famous Structures OXP might be a good solution for this (as might Hiran's flavours). But the OXP would be massive!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?