Oolite Configuration

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Oolite Configuration

Post by hiran »

I remember there were cases where users had to reconfigure Oolite. This would happen by editing a Gnustep Defaults file which was hard to find and error prone to edit. Recently we figured out an alternative way for the Apple Mac as those files are stored in binary format meanwhile.

Now I stumbled over this page:
http://gnustep.made-it.com/Configuratio ... N.DEFAULTS

It shows a CLI command to set parameters. Does it work? Should we add this to our documentation?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Oolite Configuration

Post by another_commander »

Not on the Windows port, because we are distributing just the gnustep-base dll with the game and nothing else from the gnustep framework.

BTW, we do have the defaults.exe program in the Development Environment for Windows under https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite ... ocal/Tools, but it has never been tested with anything and there are no guarantees that it would work from a command line without setting the required gnupstep environment variables up first. It's just too much of a hassle and simply text editing .GNUstepDefaults on the Windows port of the game is much, much easier in comparison.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Ok, I did not think about dependencies or the full environment setup. Yes, that can be more than a hassle also given the amount of people we have with knowledge in that area.

Still I believe for non-dev users it is way more difficult to edit such a file and also be a hassle.
Maybe OoliteStarter can help out, although I am not yet decided here.

What can be configured, what has to be configured? Do users really have to touch the settings apart from the expansion manager download URL?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

hiran wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:22 pm
Do users really have to touch the settings apart from the expansion manager download URL?
No they don't. And with 1.91, they don't have to do anything about the download url either.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:27 pm
hiran wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:22 pm
Do users really have to touch the settings apart from the expansion manager download URL?
No they don't. And with 1.91, they don't have to do anything about the download url either.
That is good news. :-)