Unreachable systems.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
Well, it is random, so the 7 days thing is not 100% guaranteed. ... :)
When I read the code, I see no random element in it. Only that the day is different for every system and for every equipment.

Code: Select all

// reduce the minimum techlevel occasionally as a bonus..
		if (techlevel < minTechLevel && techlevel + 3 > minTechLevel)
		{
			unsigned day = i * 13 + (unsigned)floor([UNIVERSE getTime] / 86400.0); // NB 'i' is an equipment number
			unsigned char dayRnd = (day & 0xff) ^ system_seed.a;
			OOTechLevelID originalMinTechLevel = minTechLevel;

while (minTechLevel > 0 && minTechLevel > originalMinTechLevel - 3 && !(dayRnd & 7))	// bargain tech days every 1/8 days
			{
				dayRnd = dayRnd >> 2;
				minTechLevel--;	// occasional bonus items according to TL
			}
		}
So, when I understand the code correct there should have been a bargain day in the above test. The only random part is that it could reduce more than one level. (And it is every 8th day..)
EDIT. Trying to understand better what happens, I see that the XOR with system_seed.a makes that the days are no longer in succession. It could be 3 days in a row and than 21 days not. Still predictable but not for a player. The player just can hope for he came on a bargain day so he should always visit the equip screen when in need of a specific equipment, even when thinks the local level is to high.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Eric Walch wrote:
I see that the XOR with system_seed.a makes that the days are no longer in succession. It could be 3 days in a row and than 21 days not.
Yep, I was trying to gloss over the gory details with the handy word 'random', but not on your watch! :lol:
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re:

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:41 am
You can get across the Great Rift in G7 using the Fuel Collector oxp, but it takes a long time, and it’s a one way trip. Once in the Five Points cluster, the only way out is to gal-jump on through to the eighth.
Five Points cluster?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re:

Post by Cholmondely »

Zbond-Zbond wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:33 pm
It is possible to reach all the isolated systems via gal-hyperspace (I think) but not possible to leave them all (because you need to purchase a gal-hdrive at TL11, or maybe TL10 if you're lucky). Not every dwarf galaxy, or minor cluster, has a TL10/11+ available. The easiest option would be to enable G-hdrive purchase at one of the planets, if that's possible.
There is a TL10 in the G3 isolated region, and a G-hdrive might be available there.
The two isolated regions in G6 already have a TL13 and a TL12 available.
There's half a dozen options in G7 - but with 3 pylon-mounted fuel tanks Fuel Tank v2.1.oxp entry & exit from this dwarf galaxy is already possible.
That only leaves Oresrati TL5 in G8 where a G-hdrive is very unlikely to be offered for sale without some sort of oxp..
Is it possible to enable G-hdrive purchase here without changing TL?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. I'm trading between Atlaar TL8 & Ditere TL10 in the isolated region of galaxy 3. So far no galactic hyperdrive has been offered for sale at Ditere. Will there never be one for sale? or does each trade-jump carry a certain % chance that galactic hyperdrive will be there?
Sometimes I can get one at TL10, elsewhere - but I've never kept tally of whether they're the same ones..
It's only 15 years ago!

Do you remember how you got there? Or if you ever got out?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Re:

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:03 am
Five Points cluster?
The Five Points Trade Barrier (G7 in ClymAngus' vector maps). And no, I don't know who named it thus.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Re: Re:

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:55 am
Cholmondely wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:03 am
Five Points cluster?
The Five Points Trade Barrier (G7 in ClymAngus' vector maps). And no, I don't know who named it thus.
I can find no references in the wiki to either Barrier or Cluster.
It obviously slipped through the net! I'll need to check the wiki against the other maps and see if there are any other lurkers.
Comments wanted:
Cody

Re: Unreachable systems.

Post by Cody »

The Five Points Trade Barrier and the Rubicon Crossroad are two regions of what's known as the Rift Worlds (aka Baying Wolf).
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:28 am
The Five Points Trade Barrier and the Rubicon Crossroad are two regions of what's known as the Rift Worlds (aka Baying Wolf).
Baying Wolf comes from Captain Solo's maps. But Rift Worlds should be a region and is not, and would the only time that a region really demarcates anything obviously recognisable.

Cody, is there a system which you might argue was the "Regional Capital" of the "Rift Worlds"?

Capt Solo's Chart 7:

Chart Seven Sectors:
00: Vertical Pollywog 06: Brainy Batoid
01: Obtuse Goose 07: Baying Wolf
02: Hoarder's Halo 08: Leaping Frog
03: Helmet's Deep 09: Burrowing Grub
04: Kneeling Star-Child 10: Placable Pisces
05: Gandalf's Hat

FYI
Smallest Planet: Erbieder in Baying Wolf, with radius of 2817 km.
Largest Planet: Ondira in Helmet's Deep, with radius of 6887 km.
Tech Level 15 #1: Maraus, a fairly large planet in Gandalf's Hat, populated by Small Yellow Lizards
Tech Level 15 #2: Quandixe, a fairly large planet in Leaping Frog, populated by Human Colonials
Economy Mode: Two way tie, Average Agricultural and Poor Industrial
Tech Level Mode: TL 8
Hub Count Mode: 6

Reference: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Solo%27s_Chart_Seven
Comments wanted:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:07 am
Cody, is there a system which you might argue was the "Regional Capital" of the "Rift Worlds"?
Articeso... it's the gateway to the Rift Worlds, and a TL 14 Corporate.