The Oolite Saga

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: The Oolite Saga

Post by drew »

Hi Folks,

Just dropping on the off chance that somebody somewhere might still be paying attention to this thread.

After much water under the bridge, I've decided this year (2023) to re-write the Oolite Saga and comprehensively "delite" it for fear of inadvertently stepping on a certain organisation's IP. I've asked the places that hosted the files to no longer do so. Clearly there's not much I can do about the (lots of?) copies that have been downloaded historically, but my intention is simply to no longer actively promote the distribution of any material that might be considered to be potentially IP infringing... ;)

Rather than consign all that work to the great abyss, I've re-written the books (which needed a dust off anyway) and republished them without the Elite/Oolite content, so that the stories can still be enjoyed for what they were. It's now known as the "Elect Saga".

https://www.drewwagar.com/elect/

I've put them on Amazon and a few other vendors to ensure that they become regarded as the "official" versions over time (which stops some of the pirates from uploading the old copies and trying to sell them - a constant nuisance!). Amazon doesn't allow them to be free unfortunately, but that may get picked up by the algorithm over time.

If you've got your own personal copies of the originals, keep 'em! They are creative commons, so as long as you don't sell them, all good. I'm just trying to ensure I'm not seen to be actively promoting the distribution of anything that might potentially upset they who I don't need to name. ;)

Would you want to get the new versions? Probably not, they're substantially the same story, but with names,locales and specifics changed. There's nothing new other than a general spring clean and a bit of editing. However, they are now available as a complete set of paperbacks for the first time ever, which may interest some of you if you like dead tree versions.

The one bit of actual good news with all this is that because the lore of the "Elect Saga" is now inspired by rather than directly derivative of Elite, it does mean I can look at the possibility of writing some more stuff... After 12 years it's probably about time that Jim and Rebecca had a new adventure, eh?

Cheers,

Drew.

www.drewwagar.com
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Hi there, drew! Looking forward to more stories.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

drew wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:46 pm
Just dropping on the off chance that somebody somewhere might still be paying attention to this thread.
Not many of us left, amigo!
drew wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:46 pm
It's now known as the "Elect Saga".
<chortles>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Ahh... good to hear from some serious old timers. The force is still strong with us. :)

Yes... Elect... pretty obvious of course, but it had the advantage of being a five letter word that began with E and meant the same sort of thing.

So sue me.... oh wait, they can't! :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
josef050153
Poor
Poor

Post by josef050153 »

Hi Drew,
I am working on a Oolite Database For that reason I need the books of the Oolite Saga in PDF. I just have now Status Quo. Do you know, where I can get the others?
Cheers
Josef
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

josef050153 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:55 am
Hi Drew,
I am working on a Oolite Database For that reason I need the books of the Oolite Saga in PDF. I just have now Status Quo. Do you know, where I can get the others?
Cheers
Josef
Josef

The first two are available as oxz's on the in-game Expansions Manager. I'll see about trying to get the others for you.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
josef050153
Poor
Poor

Post by josef050153 »

You are right, thats what I also find out. The problem is I don't know how to transfer an OXZ-file into PDF. Status Quo is easy to get but the others not.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

josef050153 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:42 am
You are right, thats what I also find out. The problem is I don't know how to transfer an OXZ-file into PDF. Status Quo is easy to get but the others not.
Do not convert an OXZ into PDF.
Instead, OXZ is an archive format, just like ZIP. Either rename the file or directly open it with your preferred archiving application. You will find a PDF inside.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:35 pm
josef050153 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:42 am
Instead, OXZ is an archive format, just like ZIP. Either rename the file or directly open it with your preferred archiving application. You will find a PDF inside.
I'm not so sure about finding the .pdf inside, Hiran, as the original had to be re-formatted to be readable by cim's Ship's Library OXP (ie lots of "/n"s added!)
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:57 pm
hiran wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:35 pm
I'm not so sure about finding the .pdf inside, Hiran, as the original had to be re-formatted to be readable by cim's Ship's Library OXP (ie lots of "/n"s added!)
No PDFs inside? I should have checked, sorry.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Good to see the forum has been re-instated! :)

A little update from me. Status Quo, in it's modified form, but still the original story pretty much, is how available as an Audiobook with Rebecca voiced acted by (and I kid you not) the wonderful Rebecca Daws. :)

Link to audible here, where there is a preview of the book.

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Status-Quo ... B0CWT5VJW1

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter