[RELEASE:] Riredi (ambience OXP)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: [RELEASE:] Riredi (ambience OXP)

Post by phkb »

cbr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:21 pm
If not can I suggest a custom skin :?: :idea:
That is nice! No, I don't think the original had a custom buoy. And I can certainly include a custom skin and apply it. Of course, you'd have to be that close to the buoy to see it, but it still is a nice feature.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

https://postimg.cc/WhyCMxWS
https://postimg.cc/nsbWWBtD

New buoy image, yep you have to go close. :D
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

V2 is now available in the Expansion Manager. And includes a custom buoy texture.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:38 am
V2 is not available in the Expansion Manager. And includes a custom buoy texture.
Update for PlanetFall v.2.0

I'm not sure whether it makes more sense to include these landing spots with your Riredi 2.0 or with Famous Planets (can one do both?)

Here are some landing sights for Riredi loosely based on the Lore (see references below) and a dose of humour.

City: Triflinger
City: Colubis
Leisure: New Beatnik (Visitor’s Facility)
Factory: Crab-Boolean Corporation
Factory: Coluber Works
Leisure: Riredian Mountain Slug Reserve

References:
Wiki pages: Sector1/Riredi, Coluber Blue Racer, Coluber PitViper
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Captain Beatnik »

Wow, your makeover and improvements to the Riredi.oxp are fantastic, excellent work phkb! :D I also like the improvements you did to the Pitviper Mark II very much, they look great! :D

To Cholmondely: Thank you very much for your suggestions of names for some landing sights on Riredi, I am very honored! :D If you are looking for more lore, I think I still have some notes and thoughts regarding the planet riredi, the Coluber works and shipyards, Riredisec and riredian natives somewhere in my files.

Oh, and last but not least I have this: A picture taken by my riredian guide during my educational journey to Riredi 8 years ago showing me in front of a riredian mountain slug in the northern mountain slug reserve, approximately 1500 klicks northeast of Colubis City.

Many think the mountain slugs have their name because they lives in the mountains. Truth is, this lovely creatures have their name because they are HUGE as a mountain! The creature you see on the picture is as very young and thus quite small exemplar, not older than 300 standardyears i would guess. But it has already the typical and very beautiful and symbiotic forest or "symbioforest" on its back. I would guess the symbioforest of the Slug on the picture is composed of at least 2000 different types of plants, fungus and small animals.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
You have to try the impossible to achieve the possible. (Emil Sinclair, 1877 - 1962)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Captain Beatnik wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:30 am
Wow, your makeover and improvements to the Riredi.oxp are fantastic, excellent work phkb! :D I also like the improvements you did to the Pitviper Mark II very much, they look great! :D

To Cholmondely: Thank you very much for your suggestions of names for some landing sights on Riredi, I am very honored! :D If you are looking for more lore, I think I still have some notes and thoughts regarding the planet riredi, the Coluber works and shipyards, Riredisec and riredian natives somewhere in my files.

Oh, and last but not least I have this: A picture taken by my riredian guide during my educational journey to Riredi 8 years ago showing me in front of a riredian mountain slug in the northern mountain slug reserve, approximately 1500 klicks northeast of Colubis City.

Many think the mountain slugs have their name because they lives in the mountains. Truth is, this lovely creatures have their name because they are HUGE as a mountain! The creature you see on the picture is as very young and thus quite small exemplar, not older than 300 standardyears i would guess. But it has already the typical and very beautiful and symbiotic forest or "symbioforest" on its back. I would guess the symbioforest of the Slug on the picture is composed of at least 2000 different types of plants, fungus and small animals.

Goodness!

(And welcome back!!)

Have you seen the Rough Guide to the Ooniverse? Your material could either be worked in to a new entry for Riredi (if sufficiently similar) - or just added in to the Galaxy Guide page (like Digebiti - or even added in to your OXPs wiki page).

If you post it here, I can have a stab at it, and you can edit it. Alternatively, you can have a stab at it yourself, and I'll come along and copy-edit it afterwards.

I tried to work out your published lore some time ago - it's spread over the Sector1/Riredi
and more of the pages for your OXP, ships and HUDs.

Questions:
Pitviper: the edged spikes used for ramming. Do they really work as such? Do the shipdata.plist, etc., allow such modifications?

Ramming: And how does one ram? How do you decide what to ram? Is there any sort of strategy you recommend for adding to the Oolite Tactics pages

PlanetFall v2: What should the Riredi landing sites really be?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Captain Beatnik »

Hi Cholmondely,

if you would help me to examine the material regarding the planet Riredi I have collected over the years and publish it in the Rough Guide to the Ooniverse or/and the Wiki, that would be great! :D

I will post the material that I can extract from my files here in this thread for further examination and discussion.

Btw. you did a great job in examining, sorting and linking the snippets of lore I have published so far. Thank you very much for that!

Regarding your questions:
Pitviper: the edged spikes used for ramming. Do they really work as such? Do the shipdata.plist, etc., allow such modifications?
The spikes - as well as the additional "daisy-cutters" on the Pitviper Mark II - in particular do not have any special scripting-code behind them that would give you an advantage when it comes to ramming. The entire hull of ship has! In the shipdata.plist you can tweak the "density" of a vessel. The density of a vessel effects its mass and thus the momentum and damage done in a collision. (You can find further information how "density" works in the docuemtation for [EliteWiki] Shipdata.plist.) A standard ship has a default desity value of 1.0, the Pitvipers have 3.0 each. Thus, in case of a collision, Pitvipers have three times the mass of a standard ship of similar size! This should give you a good advantage when it comes to ramming. (Unless you try to ram a coriolis-station of course, what all new commanders quite often try before they can afford their first docking computer, as we do all know very well. ;-) I must admit I have never done much testing how big the effect of tweaking the "density" to 3.0 realy is. Maybe a veteran captain flying a pitviper can provide some empirical knowledge to this mater.
Ramming: And how does one ram? How do you decide what to ram? Is there any sort of strategy you recommend for adding to the Oolite Tactics pages
To learn how to ram, in the first step keep a wary eye on what a new commander normaly does to a space station when he tries to dock for the first time in his life. In the next step, do exact the same to ships that are smaller than the ship you are flying in. (Loool, sorry, just kidding, I just could not resist. :mrgreen:) All jesting aside, if you want to ram, just aim at the enemy ship, hit the thrusters, approach, and keep the enemy vessel in the crosshairs until collision. Ramming will only work if the mass of the vessel you are ramming is considerably smaller than the mass of your own vessel and your shields are still in a good condition. Personally, I believe ramming - even in a Pitviper! - is more spectacular than effective but, as I already said, I never did much testing on it so I realy can´t say if ramming as a battle tactic is advisable or not.
PlanetFall v2: What should the Riredi landing sites really be?
I never thought about landing sites on the planet yet, but I am absolutely fine with your suggestion. I would just ad one additional site, the capital city of the local inhabitants, N-Ddshriiipjiziss (the name cannot be translated into the human language, you can only try to to paraphrase it. The meaning is approximately "Everlong-Pulsing-Garden-Of-Light-Where-The-Three-Twinkling-Shepherd-Mothers-Dwell". Of course this paraphrase is much to long for daily use, so the human inhabitants of Riredi gave the city a short name in their own language for daily use: Carbuncle.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
You have to try the impossible to achieve the possible. (Emil Sinclair, 1877 - 1962)