Thanks to the New Management (and the old!)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thanks to the New Management (and the old!)

Post by ffutures »

Thought it would be nice to set up a thread to say thanks to everyone involved in running the site and getting it back up, especially @aegidian, @timer and @hiran - it means a lot to all of us!

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Thanks to the New Management (and the old!)

Post by Cholmondely »

I concur wholeheartedly!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

I couldn't agree more - very well done :D
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

I was thinking recently about the ad campaign for elite in the 80's. I seem to recall one reviewer (or was it just the publisher) being quoted as saying 'The game of a lifetime'.

Even when i was back in short trousers, I thought this was remarkably short-sighted and yet here I am, decades later, appreciating all the work that has gone into an open source, highly moddable version of the game.

That I can now have a crazy idea, discuss it with others, implement it (often very crudely) and then see it play out in ways I didn't anticipate is a marvellous learning exercise for me, in both programming and humility. There may still be a very strong case to be made that I'm not very good at either of those things but with oolite I have the opportunity to practice them and that really is worth something.

I said something similar when I first joined the boards but for all those who've contributed, whether by coding, maintaining, oxp-ing or just by sharing their enthusiasm, saying a quick thank you or even a simple hello, you've all contributed to the experience that is oolite.

Of course, the most credit goes to those this thread is aimed, at and rightly so, but I offer my sincere gratitude to all. This really is an endeavor that has grown by the work of many hands. Often that can be a recipe for disaster but the oxp nature of oolite (mostly) makes it all work.

Thanks doesn't really say it for me but maybe some of the above does.
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

Absolutely. I was considering posting a message of thanks on the test thread, where all of those involved in getting the board back up and running were to be found. I'm amazed that the site has been recovered - I did think perhaps all was lost.

Brilliant work all round - well done and thank you.