UPDATED OXPS: Lave 1.70 & transports 2.45(new)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: UPDATED OXPS: Lave 1.70 & transports 2.45(new)

Post by phkb »

Redspear wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:05 am
Perhaps you removed the clouds to highlight the city lights but oolite clouds tend to look more like smog.
I hadn't adjusted the cloud layer - I'd left it as whatever the default was. But, here's a sample where I turned up the cloud layer significantly:

Settings I used:

Code: Select all

cloud_alpha = 0.9;
		cloud_color = "0.9 0.9 0.9 1";
		cloud_fraction = 0.80000;
What do you think?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

moon...
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

phkb wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:03 am
What do you think?
Well, some of this is to do with oolite's implementation of clouds.

First of all, now we clearly have some so that's a big improvement.
They're so thin however.

From memory (having tinkered with this in the past), the tendency of oolite to clump all of its clouds together makes it difficult to make them look thick without obscuring large areas of the planet surface. Instead of earth-like patches or swirls it's inclined to produce continental blankets, as if there's no wind (which there clearly should be if a planet's being heated differentially).

That said, I'd still want to make the clouds almost opaque on a world where transpiration would likely be off the charts.

Looking at the ocean colour they should also be more white I think. I know there are some complexities in that regard but your RGB values look balanced yet the clouds themselves look... lilac?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I'm quite happy with thick clouds obscuring oodles. I'm presuming that this would not be true for all planets.

And! On my AppleMac I saw something looking like vaguely phosphorescent dandruff on the dark side of the planet (city lights?) which seemed less apparent on the light side. But not obvious city lights as in a_c's "Lave is Earth".
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Redspear wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:22 am
clouds themselves look... lilac?
An artifact of them being over the ocean. Over land they look whiter.

In this shot I've turned all the dials to 1 - alpha, color and fraction. This is as "thick" as I can make it, without resorting to dumping a whole pile of white on the texture itself.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

phkb wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:43 pm
An artifact of them being over the ocean. Over land they look whiter.
I can't see it in this image, they just look rustier to my eyes.

phkb wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:43 pm
In this shot I've turned all the dials to 1 - alpha, color and fraction. This is as "thick" as I can make it, without resorting to dumping a whole pile of white on the texture itself.
I had to 'cheat' in order to get the effect I wanted for my oxp.

You've done as much as you can with what's there I think and thanks for trying :)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:28 pm
And! On my AppleMac I saw something looking like vaguely phosphorescent dandruff on the dark side of the planet (city lights?) which seemed less apparent on the light side. But not obvious city lights as in a_c's "Lave is Earth".
Add this line in your planetinfo.plist, inside the "0 7" = { ... } section:

illumination_color = "1500.0 1200.0 1200.0 1";
You should be able to see intensely illuminated cities like this:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

I saw something looking like vaguely phosphorescent dandruff on the dark side of the planet
The nocturnal, bioluminescent, keratinivorous bacteria of Lave rarely makes it into the tourist guides. To the folically challenged locals however, it is a constant menace...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:17 pm
I saw something looking like vaguely phosphorescent dandruff on the dark side of the planet
The nocturnal, bioluminescent, keratinivorous bacteria of Lave rarely makes it into the tourist guides. To the folically challenged locals however, it is a constant menace...
When I was a student at the Lave Academy they told me that the bioluminescent bacteria eat people too! The local lack of follicles prevents the bacteria flying out of the foliage and committing massacres and mayhem as happened in the earlier days.

Barkanioth Sidereas taught us in class that it was a classic case of Darwinian Evolution. Hairy settlers succumbed and perished - only the bald ones survived. Hence the dictatorship.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

another_commander wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:10 pm
Add this line in your planetinfo.plist, inside the "0 7" = { ... } section:

illumination_color = "1500.0 1200.0 1200.0 1";
You should be able to see intensely illuminated cities like this:
It works!
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:49 pm
When I was a student at the Lave Academy they told me that the bioluminescent bacteria eat people too! The local lack of follicles prevents the bacteria flying out of the foliage and committing massacres and mayhem as happened in the earlier days.

Barkanioth Sidereas taught us in class that it was a classic case of Darwinian Evolution. Hairy settlers succumbed and perished - only the bald ones survived. Hence the dictatorship.
Ol' Barky trots that one out to anyone who will listen. He just wants everyone to have a 'military' haircut.

I mean think about it. If their food source was gone then... pretty soon they'd be gone... so...

Just like ol' Barky: if he didn't have green recruits (sometimes actually green in the case of amphibious students) to tell his whoppers to then this story would be dead. Honestly...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

AppleMac and City Lights.

1) I have yet to try a_c's rejig on Tianve.oxp, Digebiti.oxp & Riredi.oxp

2) An unusual clash of OXPs -

Tianve looked the same whether accompanied by my full cocktail mix or not. Your new texture seems to trump all other alternatives, both Povray and FPO!

Digebiti looks good when on its tod. With Povray installed it looks grey/cream but also textured.

Lave is unique. The presence of Povray Planets alone gives Lave a severe case of albinoism. The planet textures are completely absent, as is the vanilla game planet surface. Just a sickly white sphere.

I hope to get back to this with more relevant information. (eg FPO without Povray).
Comments wanted:
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:43 pm
Lave is unique. The presence of Povray Planets alone gives Lave a severe case of albinoism. The planet textures are completely absent, as is the vanilla game planet surface. Just a sickly white sphere.
A combination of Povray winning the "whose texture am I going to use?" race, and then ending up with my normal and specular map on top.

I've added code for the next release which trumps Povray and will circumvent the issue. I'm adding the same code to Tianve, Riredi and Lerelace (ie Taranis, to which I'm adding a custom planet texture with city lights).
phkb

Post by phkb »

Lave 2.1 is now in the Expansion Manager, and includes the increased cloud cover on the planet.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:23 am
Download Lave_2.0.oxz (note: it's a bit bigger now -- 56mb!)
Update for PlanetFall v.2.0

I'm not sure whether it makes more sense to include these landing spots with Lave 2.0 or with Famous Planets (can one do both?)

Here are some landing sights for Lave based on the Lore (see references below).

City: Ashoria
Other City (Leisure?): Port Arcadia
Factory: Shipyards: Cowell & MgRath Shipyards
Leisure: 4th continent (Suther): Daphne Project (conservation, leonids & tree-grubs)

Moon (Basta)
moon_dome: Imperial Palace

Makandal's picture of Lave:

References:
Wiki pages: Lave (Rough Guide) & Lave (Lore)

In my game (Stranger's World OXPs) Lave currently has:
Hippothoon City (Planetary Capital) - this has no relation to our Lore
Cadmus Metropolis Immigration Control
New Sheffield (Visitors Centre)
Pleasure Island (Water Park)
Comments wanted: