My ship overheats and blows up for no reason?!

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

My ship overheats and blows up for no reason?!

Post by Switeck »

I was testing hyperspace mass-locking by stations, planets, and stars...and I've noticed I don't get mass-locked any more even being very near planets and stars.
I know mass-locks keeps the torus drive from working, but I thought it also prevented hyperspacing out too!?

Anyway, that may just be the curse of a poor memory rather than a bug...so on to the bug!

I was VERY near the main planet's surface and any attempt to move would quickly shoot the heat up to max, eat away my shields, then my energy banks, and my ship would explode.
That's not the bug either -- since my ship was deep in the planet's atmosphere this makes sense.

However when I hyperspaced to interstellar space from very close to the planet's surface ...any attempt to move even after jumping caused my ship to heat up rapidly and then die.

This may require moving faster than a dead crawl in the planet's atmosphere before hyperspacing, because I had to get close to the planet somehow...but if I stopped and hyperspaced then tried to move in interstellar space 30+ seconds later it shouldn't kill my ship!

I'm running Oolite v1.91 dev or test release on Windows 7 SP1 (yes, OLD PC!)...but I doubt the version of Oolite matters so long as it's post v1.90.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: My ship overheats and blows up for no reason?!

Post by another_commander »

Thanks for catching this one. Should be fixed in commit d8dabec, which should be out in a few minutes. Please test and confirm.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Seems fixed after the commit...although for others testing this there's a bit of a time lag between when your ship quits heating up before it quits taking damage from already-present heat.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Switeck wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:29 am
Seems fixed after the commit...although for others testing this there's a bit of a time lag between when your ship quits heating up before it quits taking damage from already-present heat.
Seems to make sense to me. The ship got heated up and all the systems not only die from heat but also from the time they are exposed to it. So it may take a moment until the cooling system can effectively reduce the other systems' temperature, and systems already impacted can fail meanwhile.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite