New splash screen and icon

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thoughts on the new icon/splash screen

I like it!
46%
Mixed feelings.
23%
I don't like it.
15%
I think it needs something...
15%

Total votes: 13

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: New splash screen and icon

Post by hiran »

user2357 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:12 am
Reading that "Simplify release process" post now, I'm wondering... Could it perhaps also be OpenOffice itself that contributes to the layout issues with the pdfs? I use LibreOffice (which also natively saves to .odt OpenDocument format), and pdf'ing anything (images, tables, graphs from spreadsheets, name it) never gives me any hassles. LibreOffice is the successor of OpenOffice, OpenOffice having received its last major update in 2014 only. (https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/)

If pdf'ing .odt files continues to present problems, I suggest try opening the .odt source files in LibreOffice, and then try pdf'ing using LibreOffice, in stead of using OpenOffice. Hopefully, it helps a bit. ...if necessary. :)
Do not worry. I did not want to go into the Openoffice/Libreoffice discussion but since we are there the Github PDF build is executed on Ubuntu with LibreOffice.

The layout problems mentioned were all based on the Windows font that is not available on Ubuntu. I switched to another font that is extremely similar, is still from Microsoft but can be installed easily (and free of charge).

Thus the document did not loose the layout and can be built independently of the OS but it is another font. Design desicions like this should be documented somewhere so that we do not run into the same problems again.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
user2357
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by user2357 »

hiran,

I took a look at oolite.space, the Elite Wiki and the bulletin board's page sources in my browser (right-click, View Page Source), and could find (Ctrl+F, "font" and "style") no indication of any specific font being used on the respective homepages. ...unless I just missed it, or didn't know what to look for, or how to look for it.

Could it be that this means that all visitors to these sites simply see the default fonts that are set in their browsers? ...and that we might not have to consider replacing these sites' fonts with FOSS fonts of some kind, because then it might break the sites in some visitors' browsers who do not have those fonts installed on their devices?...
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

user2357 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:58 pm
hiran,

I took a look at oolite.space, the Elite Wiki and the bulletin board's page sources in my browser (right-click, View Page Source), and could find (Ctrl+F, "font" and "style") no indication of any specific font being used on the respective homepages. ...unless I just missed it, or didn't know what to look for, or how to look for it.

Could it be that this means that all visitors to these sites simply see the default fonts that are set in their browsers? ...and that we might not have to consider replacing these sites' fonts with FOSS fonts of some kind, because then it might break the sites in some visitors' browsers who do not have those fonts installed on their devices?...
If there is no font referenced, it would definitely be the browser's default font. Which I strongly doubt that it's in use.
Have you checked for cascading stylesheets? Looking in this forum's page, I can see

Code: Select all

<link href="./assets/css/font-awesome.min.css?assets_version=46" rel="stylesheet">
<link href="./styles/prosilver/theme/stylesheet.css?assets_version=46" rel="stylesheet">
<link href="./styles/prosilver/theme/en/stylesheet.css?assets_version=46" rel="stylesheet">
If you prefer to not interprete all these cascading stylesheets yourself, just inspect a website's elements directly. For this forum's normal text I then see

Code: Select all

font-family: "Lucida Grande", "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif
Several fonts are listed, and the browser will take the first one he can render to the screen.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

user2357 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:24 pm
Would it possible to attach all (or at least the major) previous logos, icons, fonts etc. to the [EliteWiki] Branding wikipage, or, at least, on that page, hyperlink to repositories of all previous resource-materials in this regard (with associated dates of having been in use, and record of first introduction/reveal)? Would it be possible to have that page be the dated, historical record of Oolite branding development and progression?
Don't know if you know about these:

BB Logo competition for v1.75 (2011)
Oolite Icon Competition (2009)

Oolite.org website, wiki, BB maintenance options analysis (2012)
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?