Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Roolite: Tch's Russian OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Roolite: Tch's Russian OXPs

Post by Cholmondely »

Alnivel unearthed this link to Tch's Russian OXPs: https://app.box.com/s/dyo1vedrxuyeyum3atci

They include a gravitation OXP which creates gravitational attraction to planets and moons. Don't know about suns. All the documentation is in Russian!

I get the following error from his Gravitation.oxp: [script.javaScript.exception.notDefined] ReportJSError (OOJavaScriptEngine.m:204): ***** JavaScript exception (Tch_Gravitation.oxp 3.0.2 (2013-12-31)): ReferenceError: globfunc_PlayerShip_Planets is not defined

Lots of OXPs (Russian Systems - Quorte, Landing Module, Station Aegis, Main Stations, Console Information, Functions, Modern Advanced Compass, Tiny Jumper, Automatic Gunlayer, Economics Model, etc.) - with lots of music, with lots of pictures, etc.

Can anybody work out if they are any good with post-v.1.77.1 Oolite? Should they be on our wiki? Can we say anything about them?

References:
Stranger wrote this in one of his essays:
But there is a technical problem here. The number of stars in the system can be selectively adjusted using the star_count_multiplier coefficient without affecting the global parameter sky_n_stars. You can selectively correct their colour, bringing them closer to red in highly dusty regions. But the lighting level ambient_level can only be set directly, the coefficients of its selective correction are not provided. This means that a gamer who does not like the default lighting level of ambient_level = 1 will not be able to adjust the lighting level in such systems through the global setting. This is just the thing which I tried unsuccessfully to explain to Tch – his concept of Dark and Light worlds bends the gamer under the author's vision of the game, which is absolutely unacceptable for me personally.

and also this:
I don’t mean to say that procedural generation is a waste of time. It creates the foundation of the world, freeing the demiurge from the unbearable volumes of monotonous technical work. But procedural generation only sets the stage for meaningful content. Plot, history, cultural layer, lore – call it what you want, without this there is no game. And it is precisely the persistent misunderstanding of this fact that is the reason for the fiasco of the Parallel Reality 002 project (game set developed by Tch in Roolite). Some kind of motivation is needed to stimulate the gamer to wander not just at random no matter where.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?