Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Expansion pack download still failing - ah . .

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Expansion pack download still failing - ah . .

Post by UK_Eliter »

Hello, Commanders

Some months ago I think I reported on the board somewhere that the in-game manager was reporting 'download' failed. Now, perhaps I missed a reply or two to that post (and, if I did, I am sorry!) but/and I still have the problem . . (and disabling my firewall and VPN did not help).

Ah - I see this in the log:

Code: Select all

17:51:45.668 [plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse C:\Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/Oolite-download.plist as a property list.
Parse failed at line 1 (char 2) - unexpected character (wanted '>')
17:51:45.669 [oxz.manager.error]: Downloaded manifest was not a valid plist, has been left in C:\Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/Oolite-download.plist
But now I find this fix on the board. Ought that information not to be stickied somewhere? (Also, I think that, just for a moment, after making that fix, the in-game manager showed some stupidly large number of packs or perhaps bytes to download.)

And . . ooh! Many updates available!
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Expansion pack download still failing - ah . .

Post by hiran »

Has there not been a thread stuck to every board about it?

Well, you can as well use OoliteStarter...
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

hiran wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:39 pm
I'm having trouble finding those stickies. Perhaps I have space-dust in my eyes.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Well, you can as well use OoliteStarter...
Our stuck thread is a different one:
another_commander wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:04 am
Great work timer, much appreciated.

I do seem to have a problem downloading the oxz list, though. Although I added the line "oxz-index-url" = "http://addons.oolite.space/api/1.0/overview"; to my .GNUstepDefaults, the oxz list download never starts. I set oxz.manager.debug = yes; in my logcontrol.plist and saw that the downlead request is issued correctly and to the expected url, but nothing happens after that - a 0 bytes long file called Oolite-download.plist is created in the Caches folder and that's about it.

Can anyone else confirm this please? It is absolutely wonderful that we can have access to the website again, but it seems that the Expansion Pack Manager is still handicapped as far as new oxzs or updates to existing ones are concerned.
I'm afraid that all of this stuff is utter gobble-de-gooque to me.

I waited for an update to Oolite 1.90 and when it never arrived, I just settled for downloading directly from Oolite.space... and then Phkb went into witchfuel injector mode and starting spewing forth oxps with gay abandon...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

UK_Eliter wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:49 pm
I'm having trouble finding those stickies. Perhaps I have space-dust in my eyes.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=288802#p288802
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

@Hiran: ah yes. Thank you for directing me; for some reason, my mind/eye was editing out that announcement.

I do note that it is not ideal for a stickied thread to contain some twenty pages. So perhaps the following would be good: unsticky that one and replace it with a short announcement saying: for at least the time being, do <the-fix/workaround>, and for discussion see <currently stickied thread>. Just my tuppence worth!
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

UK_Eliter wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:17 pm
@Hiran: ah yes. Thank you for directing me; for some reason, my mind/eye was editing out that announcement.

I do note that it is not ideal for a stickied thread to contain some twenty pages. So perhaps the following would be good: unsticky that one and replace it with a short announcement saying: for at least the time being, do <the-fix/workaround>, and for discussion see <currently stickied thread>. Just my tuppence worth!
I could not agree more. :-)
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:08 pm
I'm afraid that all of this stuff is utter gobble-de-gooque to me.

I waited for an update to Oolite 1.90 and when it never arrived, I just settled for downloading directly from Oolite.space... and then Phkb went into witchfuel injector mode and starting spewing forth oxps with gay abandon...
So am I correct in my understanding that you haven't been able to get the DM working in Oolite 1.90 on a Mac?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:58 pm
So am I correct in my understanding that you haven't been able to get the DM working in Oolite 1.90 on a Mac?
Spot on.

I can't find the .GNUstepDefaults to meddle with it. And would undoubtedly bodge it up if I did (with the Witchspace Lobster sneering over my shoulder).

If you look at the a_c's post above, there is a lot of unknown-to-me context which seems to apply, and the "fix" linked by UKEliter at the top does not prescribe a Lobster-proof solution for the dreaded AppleMac.

But as I said above, I'm doing just fine. I get what I need from the Oolite.space Expansions page. Despite avoiding almost all ship.oxps, I have probably a thousand+ oxps on my computer between the different versions etc.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

UK_Eliter wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:17 pm
for some reason, my mind/eye was editing out that announcement.
Ditto. Never even noticed it...
Comments wanted:
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:33 am
Spot on.

I can't find the .GNUstepDefaults to meddle with it.
On the Mac it's not called .GNUstepDefaults. It's called "org.aegidian.oolite.plist"

Here's a quick walkthrough I just created Mac process to update gnustepdefaults file.pdf
The only prerequisite is you need Xcode installed, but I think Apple is publishing that for free, and you don't even need a developer license now.

Let me know if that helps at all.
nepula
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by nepula »

phkb wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:55 am
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:33 am
Spot on.

I can't find the .GNUstepDefaults to meddle with it.
On the Mac it's not called .GNUstepDefaults. It's called "org.aegidian.oolite.plist"

Here's a quick walkthrough I just created Mac process to update gnustepdefaults file.pdf
The only prerequisite is you need Xcode installed, but I think Apple is publishing that for free, and you don't even need a developer license now.

Let me know if that helps at all.
Hi,
Instructions clear but this did not work for me. BUT your instructions in thread "Enabling Expansions on MacOS with 1.90" using Terminal command "defaults write org.aegidian.oolite oxz-index-url http://addons.oolite.space/api/1.0/overview" worked perfectly! Thanks a lot and some more!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

nepula wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:14 pm
BUT your instructions in thread "Enabling Expansions on MacOS with 1.90" using Terminal command "defaults write org.aegidian.oolite oxz-index-url http://addons.oolite.space/api/1.0/overview" worked perfectly! Thanks a lot and some more!
This one worked for me too! Epiphenomenal - I have finally seen the OXZ list in-game for the first time in over half a year!
Comments wanted:
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:52 am
This one worked for me too! Epiphenomenal - I have finally seen the OXZ list in-game for the first time in over half a year!
Yay!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:04 am
Yay!
You, Sir, are quite wonderful
Comments wanted: