My experience w/ T.Flight Hotas X

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Cas Tell
Competent
Competent

My experience w/ T.Flight Hotas X

Post by Cas Tell »

First of all, here's the link to the manufacturer's page:

https://www.thrustmaster.com/en-us/prod ... t-hotas-x/

Installation: Connect to a USB port, it is a real plug'n'play experience, Oolite recognized it right away and I could start configuring in the Game Options. No trouble at all!

Specialties: If you press the Home Button on the chassis which has a built-in LED which is lit green per default, it switches to red and couples the yaw axis to the rocker switch on the thrust lever and the z-axis of the stick. Thus you can use either control to yaw the ship. This is extremely helpful when you dock: You can adjust the rolling speed with the stick and control yaw with the rocker. I like this feature best of all!

Remarks: I've read that some users are concerned by the programmable properties of the device. In factory default state there is no programming involved, the property is simply not used so that it is of no relevance if PRESET or MAPPING are activated or not (as far as I know and as far as I have tested it). Nevertheless, I use it with the green LED between the PRESET and the MAPPING button unlit. (It may be that strange things happen when you press these buttons while playing Oolite, but who should do this and why, except when experimenting with possible havoc?)

Finetuning: I changed the response curves in Oolite and it works superbly fine!

Resume: I can only recommend this device for use under Linux (in my case Kali Linux which is basically a Debian) and I'm glad to have it, it is super fun to play Oolite with this control unit!