Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Enhance my savegame

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

OldThrashbarg
Above Average
Above Average

Enhance my savegame

Post by OldThrashbarg »

I've been missing the opportunity to play oolite online/MP scince day one. Knowing that it won't be implemented soon i was thinking about some sort of common savegame. You upload your savegame and sort of pass it on to others like a continuous narrative.
I'd upload the file here but due to security concerns maybe there can be a better solution.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Enhance my savegame

Post by spud42 »

might be a bit complicated, the next person would have to have the exact same OXZ's installed as well.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

spud42 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:27 pm
might be a bit complicated, the next person would have to have the exact same OXZ's installed as well.
There's A_C's OOlite-in-a-VM thingy. It's a bit heavy though (178Mo IIRC) and it requires Windows.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

interesting.... is there a cross platform VM engine? say VMware that runs on all 3 platforms and a single VM could be passed around?

be interesting..... say each player gets to do a set number of jumps. then has to pass it on... could have a box account where it lives.

next commander would have to hit the ground running, especially if cody got hold of it and stacked a dozen courier jobs on a tight schedule... lol
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
OldThrashbarg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OldThrashbarg »

spud42 wrote:
interesting.... is there a cross platform VM engine? say VMware that runs on all 3 platforms and a single VM could be passed around?

be interesting..... say each player gets to do a set number of jumps. then has to pass it on... could have a box account where it lives.

next commander would have to hit the ground running, especially if cody got hold of it and stacked a dozen courier jobs on a tight schedule... lol
I think VirtualBox is quite universal
Astrobe wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:33 pm
spud42 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:27 pm
There's A_C's OOlite-in-a-VM thingy. It's a bit heavy though (178Mo IIRC) and it requires Windows.
Is there a link or a description? Why would one pass on a VM when you can pass on savegames though?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Link to a_c's alternate binary distribution: BB link.

Rather than passing on a VM, you could use the scenario options in Oolite to create a game that automatically limits the OXP's, so when the player opens the save file, it would only allow the OXP's agreed to by the players involved.
See this page on the wiki: Scenarios.plist.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

OldThrashbarg wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:27 pm
Is there a link or a description? Why would one pass on a VM when you can pass on savegames though?
because if there is an item in the save that depends on a certain OXZ , and the next commander doesnt have it installed then at best items will be missing , a save could be corrupted etc.

i wouldnt call a 178MB VM weighty.

i suppose that a read.me file with the required OXZ's to install is all thats needed. then a new commander could set up a new oolite download the needed OXZ'z and then load up the save...
it would have to be limited to 1 player at a time or we will have multiple branching saves....
OR i could go with
or simply
OldThrashbarg
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OldThrashbarg »

spud42 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 am
OldThrashbarg wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:27 pm
because if there is an item in the save that depends on a certain OXZ , and the next commander doesnt have it installed then at best items will be missing , a save could be corrupted etc.

i wouldnt call a 178MB VM weighty.

i suppose that a read.me file with the required OXZ's to install is all thats needed. then a new commander could set up a new oolite download the needed OXZ'z and then load up the save...
it would have to be limited to 1 player at a time or we will have multiple branching saves....
Ok, some time has passed, but why not agree on a specific version/OXZ?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

OldThrashbarg wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:01 pm
I've been missing the opportunity to play oolite online/MP scince day one. Knowing that it won't be implemented soon i was thinking about some sort of common savegame. You upload your savegame and sort of pass it on to others like a continuous narrative.
I'd upload the file here but due to security concerns maybe there can be a better solution.
Did you see this: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Nexus (Hiran's attempt at introducing a multi-player element into Oolite)?

Not to mention his Oolite Starter which allows transference of saved games with OXP information.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

spud42 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:33 pm

Virtualbox is available to all three relevant platforms.

The list of necessary OXPs could be handled by Oolite Starter - not much is missing.

The bigger problem: How would you sort out race conditions? What if two players start from the same savegame, then one saves and ghe other saves later. Which of the two versions should or would get stored for the next player?
(This is not a technical question. Technically there are different ways to achieve one or the other result. The question is which result we want to have).
Last edited by hiran on Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

spud42 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 am
OoliteStarter already can export the list of installed expansion such that the next player can simply import it.

Plus it extends the savegames to contain OXP information.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite