Marcan Rayger Frontier/Elite fan-fics revisited

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Marcan Rayger Frontier/Elite fan-fics revisited

Post by Zireael »

No pdf format available?
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

No PDF at the moment - do people still read PDFs, though? The Kindle applet and other similar applications are available to pretty much every platform.

The problem with PDFs is that you would have to know the size of the reader's screen; whether to design the layout for a regular A4/Letter or something more fitting for a smaller 7" or 10" display...
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wolfwood wrote:
The problem with PDFs is that you would have to know the size of the reader's screen; whether to design the layout for a regular A4/Letter or something more fitting for a smaller 7" or 10" display...
The vast majority of my ebooks are PDFs. I read PDFs formatted all kinds of ways on my ebook reader (not a kindle, btw). I just resize according to need.. I'd assume most readers have the same ability.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I'd assume most readers have the same ability.
Most readers are not very good at PDF reflow. The notable exception according to some tests that I've read is the Pocketbook Touch Lux.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Heck.. mine doesn't even try to reflow.. but rotate the display sideways, set zoom to 'fit width' and it's good to go. Takes about 3 'scroll down's per page, but at least it's easy to read.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wolfwood wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:41 am
No PDF at the moment - do people still read PDFs, though?
xzanfr wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:28 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the first two, Castor in particular...

I also enjoy your description of the ship to ship combat as well as your writing style - fairly fast paced without dwelling on unnecessary plot details.

I highly recommend reading these - great work Wolfwood :)
Wolfwood, xzanfr - do you (or anybody else) have any of this fiction? The old website has been taken down and I can't find anything anywhere! Just dead links.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
xzanfr
Competent
Competent

Post by xzanfr »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:23 am
Wolfwood wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:41 am
No PDF at the moment - do people still read PDFs, though?
xzanfr wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:28 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the first two, Castor in particular...

I also enjoy your description of the ship to ship combat as well as your writing style - fairly fast paced without dwelling on unnecessary plot details.

I highly recommend reading these - great work Wolfwood :)
Wolfwood, xzanfr - do you (or anybody else) have any of this fiction? The old website has been taken down and I can't find anything anywhere! Just dead links.
Hi Cholmondely
I'm late to the party as ever!
Did you have any joy finding these? I've just looked and they appear to still be on my kindle so might be able to get them off, assuming there aren't any issues with the author.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

xzanfr wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:53 pm
Hi Cholmondely
Did you have any joy finding these? I've just looked and they appear to still be on my kindle so might be able to get them off, assuming there aren't any issues with the author.
No joy whatsoever - and I do want to read them (and don't see why others shouldn't either!).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
xzanfr
Competent
Competent

Post by xzanfr »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:59 pm
xzanfr wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:53 pm
Hi Cholmondely
No joy whatsoever - and I do want to read them (and don't see why others shouldn't either!).
I've found books 1-4 as mobi's if these are any good for you.
I can't upload as attachments to the forum, so drop me a pm if there is some other way I can get them to you.