[RELEASE] Addons for Beginners (Vital Statistics)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

[RELEASE] Addons for Beginners (Vital Statistics)

Post by Cholmondely »

Overview

Downloads data OXP's to help you succeed with Oolite: In-game Ship's Manual, ship identifier, galaxy guide, Market info & helpful HUD.

Ship's Library (with ships manual)
XenonUI (handy guide to the buttons on your astrogation console)
Technical Reference Library identifies ships when you target them (just ships)
GalCop Galactic Registry - guide to the galaxy you are in
The Galactic Almanac - guide to the star system you are in
Market Observer - useful statistics for analysing the F8 markets page (with Market Ads at the bottom)
Vimana-X HUD (flashes warnings for incoming Missiles, High Temperature, Low Altitude, Low Energy & Low Shields)
Hints - overhear some tips for success in the local bar!
HUD Selector - optional extra (for selecting HUDs)!

Detail

There is a lot of information in Oolite. To master the game, one needs to master the information. These handy oxp's give you much of that information at your fingertips (or pincers, if you are a lobstoid). And it is in-game, not something outside of the game that you need to look at. Some of it can only be accessed while docked.

This addon does not require mastery of the arcane art of manipulating MFD's. All the information is either emblazoned across your viewscreen and docked F3-F8 pages, or it is easily accessible through the choices on the docked F4 page.
For more details, erudite disquisitions on the excellence and supremacy of the chosen, glossary and pretty pictures, see Addons for Beginners (Vital Statistics)

Vimana HUD warnings:

Edited to update for v.1.2
Last edited by Cholmondely on Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: [RELEASE] Addons for Beginners (Vital Statistics)

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:39 pm
There is a lot of information in Oolite. To master the game, one needs to master the information. These handy oxp's give you much of that information at your fingertips (or pincers, if you are a lobstoid). And it is in-game, not something outside of the game that you need to look at. Some of it can only be accessed while docked.

This addon does not require mastery of the arcane art of manipulating MFD's. All the information is either emblazoned across your viewscreen and docked F3-F8 pages, or it is easily accessible through the choices on the docked F4 page.

For more details, erudite disquisitions on the excellence and supremacy of the chosen, glossary and pretty pictures, see Addons for Beginners (Vital Statistics)
Looks like a reasonable set of OXPs, and you took care to document it for unexperienced users. I like that concept. :-)
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:46 pm
Looks like a reasonable set of OXPs, and you took care to document it for unexperienced users. I like that concept. :-)
Totally disagree! It is a wonderful set of oxp's, and I take my hat off to each and every one of their creators. It must be marvellous to have the skills to be able to do that sort of thing...

And what is the bet that when Phkb finishes his work on the keyboard, that he won't eventually feed it into his XenonUI just as Cim did with his ship's library...

I have no idea what the developers and modification-designers are like for the other games, but the Oolite bunch are really rather special...
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:57 pm
hiran wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:46 pm
Totally disagree! It is a wonderful set of oxp's, and I take my hat off to each and every one of their creators. It must be marvellous to have the skills to be able to do that sort of thing...

And what is the bet that when Phkb finishes his work on the keyboard, that he won't eventually feed it into his XenonUI just as Cim did with his ship's library...

I have no idea what the developers and modification-designers are like for the other games, but the Oolite bunch are really rather special...
You are absolutely right: the OXPs are wonderful, and I am also happy they exist.
But I also wanted to point out that the choice for the OXP - which you have done - is also great. You collected OXPs that are reasonable to have without adding all the nice to have or gameplay modifying OXPs.

And as so often, the real art is to keep it simple...
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

hiran wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:36 pm
And as so often, the real art is to keep it simple...
Ramen!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

In general, developers are always "different" to the majority of employees in a company. No idea how it is nowadays but in the past a guy running in jeans, a dirty t-shirt and with long hair along to a lot of people in suits could only be IT. Not to forget that even a junior earned similar or more than a team-leader in other fields.

However, I do agree that Oolite members involved in the "dark side" (including myself) are even kind of standing out of the IT norm :roll:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

montana05 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:56 pm
In general, developers are always "different" to the majority of employees in a company. No idea how it is nowadays but in the past a guy running in jeans, a dirty t-shirt and with long hair along to a lot of people in suits could only be IT. Not to forget that even a junior earned similar or more than a team-leader in other fields.

However, I do agree that Oolite members involved in the "dark side" (including myself) are even kind of standing out of the IT norm :roll:
You mean to say an Oolite member is wearing jeans, a dirty t-shirt and long hair such a way that makes 'normal developers' wearing jeans, t-shirts and long jair appear like the lot of people in suits? :shock:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

hiran wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:55 pm

You mean to say an Oolite member is wearing jeans, a dirty t-shirt and long hair such a way that makes 'normal developers' wearing jeans, t-shirts and long jair appear like the lot of people in suits? :shock:
Don't get me wrong, it's just a memory from (very) old days. When I still worked as a developer, we shared the building with the bookkeeping and marketing department. Guess who didn't care about dressing code ? The only suits at IT I ever saw were the department head and his team, plus some newcomers straight from university.
Cody

Post by Cody »

montana05 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:58 pm
we shared the building with the bookkeeping and marketing department.
IT and Sales? Office Wars!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cody wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:07 pm
Nice clip, thank you for that. :wink:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

hiran wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:55 pm

Don't get me wrong, it's just a memory from (very) old days. When I still worked as a developer, we shared the building with the bookkeeping and marketing department. Guess who didn't care about dressing code ? The only suits at IT I ever saw were the department head and his team, plus some newcomers straight from university.
In my company almost everyone is quite relaxed. Few fellows will come to office in suits regardless of a dress code, eventually some managers do. Legal is also part of this habit but that's it.
And I had a strange feeling when I dressed up for an internal hiring interview just to find out my potential new boss showed up in jeans and a worn t-shirt...
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Quite so, the rest of the world has finally caught up with the development departments, now anyone *not* wearing jeans and a t shirt is a bit of an oddity in many organisations.

Personally I miss a collar and tie, but Id be laughed out of town if I showed up in a 3 piece suit.
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

montana05 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:18 pm
Cody wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:07 pm
Nice clip, thank you for that. :wink:
Cool! Thank you, sir!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Version 1.2 is now out.

It adds in

*Hints OXZ,
*Littlebear's Galactic Almanac OXZ
*and replaces the Vimana HUD with Phkb's superior Vimana-X HUD.
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

There is a problem with this OXZ - it cannot be installed by the Expansion Manager.
Please check the download URL in the catalogue.

Code: Select all

{
	"identifier" = "oolite.oxp.Cholmondely.Addons_for_Beginners_(Vital_Statistics)";
	"download_url" = "Oolite.oxp.Cholmondeley.Addons_for_Beginners_(Vital_Statistics).v.1.2.oxz ";
	);
}