Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Mapping keys/buttons to OXP equipment

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Mapping keys/buttons to OXP equipment

Post by another_commander »

hiran wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:39 pm
I'll test as soon as I see a pre-release lying around. :-)
You can test right now if you so wish:
https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite ... /851293455 (Linux)
https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite ... /851293456 (Windows)
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Getting back to the thread topic, are there any concerns about the PR to map keys to OXP equipment? If not, I'll plan to merge it into trunk tomorrow night and move on to the next challenge! Please ignore me. Senior moment. PR has already been merged! Move along, nothing to see here.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

So I am currently on Oolite 1.91.0.7465-230808-ab685be (that is pretty long, a semantic version would be easier to remember).

I noticed while playing on keyboard and in dogfight, I almost only use roll and pitch. So I tried yaw, which only works one-way while in precision control mode.

Let's get this right: My keyboard physical keys layout is like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_ ... RTY_UK.svg

But I am on a german keyboard driver. Thus the keys for yaw are ; (semicolon to go left) and : (colon to go right). When I press Left-Ctrl for precision mode, yaw left still works but yaw right shows no reaction.

It brings up another thought: If for each key the modifiers are important (e.g. n for the selected equipment, shift-n for selecting equipment) then how would I select equipment if I need the shift key pressed at the same time for something else? Or some functions (don't know which ones right now) do not work while I am barrel rolling...
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
phkb

Post by phkb »

There are some keys that can't have shift or ctrl modifiers: pretty much all the important nav keys, fire and maybe one or two others, to deal with this very situation. I thought I caught all the options, but I might have missed one. I'll have to check.

Can't look now though. Watching the Matildas play France in the Woman's World Cup!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Yeah, some penalty shoot-out. The Lionesses are up next!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:15 am
So I am currently on Oolite 1.91.0.7465-230808-ab685be (that is pretty long, a semantic version would be easier to remember).

I noticed while playing on keyboard and in dogfight, I almost only use roll and pitch. So I tried yaw, which only works one-way while in precision control mode.

Let's get this right: My keyboard physical keys layout is like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_ ... RTY_UK.svg

But I am on a german keyboard driver. Thus the keys for yaw are ; (semicolon to go left) and : (colon to go right). When I press Left-Ctrl for precision mode, yaw left still works but yaw right shows no reaction.

It brings up another thought: If for each key the modifiers are important (e.g. n for the selected equipment, shift-n for selecting equipment) then how would I select equipment if I need the shift key pressed at the same time for something else? Or some functions (don't know which ones right now) do not work while I am barrel rolling...
I think I might have worked out the issue. Can you check through the rest of your key config for Ctrl + :. I think it might be getting mixed up with your play and it wasn’t something I was checking for in the settings. Hope that make sense.