1.91 Trunk: Windows installer script fails to run locally

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

1.91 Trunk: Windows installer script fails to run locally

Post by another_commander »

We have a show-stopper bug occurring after the recent commits that removed the PDF documents from the repository.

I tried to build a standard Windows installer on my local checkout of the source using the command make -fMakefile pkg-win and it failed with this message at the installer creation stage:
Dev Environment wrote:
File: "..\..\Doc\OoliteRS.pdf" -> no files found.
Usage: File [/nonfatal] [/a] ([/r] [/x filespec [...]] filespec [...] |
/oname=outfile one_file_only)
Error in script "installers/win32/OOlite.nsi" on line 240 -- aborting creation process
make: *** [pkg-win] Error 1
A file that is required by th installer is now not found because it has been removed. Automated github builds continue to run because the automation scripts contain instructions to generate the missing files on github's runners, but those scripts do not run when we are building locally. This results effectively in a broken repository. I am almost certain that the same issue will be present for Linux when building locally.

Creating such exclusive dependencies on github is not right. The repository should be buildable on the developers' systems first and foremost. Right now, we are totally relying on the github runners to make our installers and depend on github to successfully build.

I think the approach needs to be reconsidered, or a way to reenable local builds be found in order to restore our previous functionality.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: 1.91 Trunk: Windows installer script fails to run locally

Post by another_commander »

Commit 345bec2 seems to have taken care of it. We're back in business with building locally.