Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

OXP distribution

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: OXP distribution

Post by hiran »

Commander_X wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:37 am
I tried the runtime route UK_Eliter took. After sorting-out the same JDK 8 (my default JVM) issue (i.e. "class file version"), and switching to a JDK 11 I happen to have around (

Code: Select all

openjdk version "11" 2018-09-25
OpenJDK Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11+28)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 18.9 (build 11+28, mixed mode)
), there were two exceptions that came out.
First:

ERROR 7328 --- [           main] o.a.c.c.C.[Tomcat].[localhost].[/]       : Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class [com.vaadin.flow.spring.VaadinServletContextInitializer$DevModeServletContextListener]

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Running project in development mode with no access to folder '/home/hiran/NetBeansProjects/oxp-repository'.
Build project in production mode instead, see https://vaadin.com/docs/v14/flow/production/tutorial-production-mode-basic.html
This seemed simple enough to fix, I created the folder, and after another try, the second one came up:

ERROR 7472 --- [           main] dev-updater                              : Command `/home/<MY_LOCAL_USERNAME>/.vaadin/node/node --no-update-notifier --no-audit --scripts-prepend-node-path=true install` failed:

2021-07-08 21:37:01.065 ERROR 7472 --- [           main] dev-updater                              : >>> Dependency ERROR. Check that all required dependencies are deployed in npm repositories.
2021-07-08 21:37:01.073 ERROR 7472 --- [           main] o.a.c.c.C.[Tomcat].[localhost].[/]       : Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class [com.vaadin.flow.spring.VaadinServletContextInitializer$DevModeServletContextListener]

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to initialize Vaadin DevModeHandler
This is where I stopped, as I'm trying as hard as possible to stay away of anything having to do with node/npm.
Oh, that is anything but intended. My usual scenarios are that the applications I create get deployed in environments I have direct control of. It seems I should have tested the deployment not just on my development machine where everything runs anyway.

Thank you for the qualified report. it is absolutely ok to stay away from internals. After all this is just a demo application to show what might be done but it is useless if it does not actually run. So I will check the deployment on my side.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

I apologize running the application may not be as smooth as anticipated.

However to bring back the discussion from technical issues to the original point of improving the process: the distribution at https://app.box.com/s/ta6d8vtjoqd4tmah9oe8gb4t7z9m2nlg also contains a PDF with screenshots of the application. I believe the usage is simple enough it does not require too much explanation but I would like to discuss on that.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

hiran wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:28 am
Commander_X wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:37 am
I tried the runtime route UK_Eliter took. After sorting-out the same JDK 8 (my default JVM) issue (i.e. "class file version"), and switching to a JDK 11 I happen to have around (

openjdk version "11" 2018-09-25
OpenJDK Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11+28)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 18.9 (build 11+28, mixed mode)
), there were two exceptions that came out.
First:

ERROR 7328 --- [           main] o.a.c.c.C.[Tomcat].[localhost].[/]       : Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class [com.vaadin.flow.spring.VaadinServletContextInitializer$DevModeServletContextListener]

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Running project in development mode with no access to folder '/home/hiran/NetBeansProjects/oxp-repository'.
Build project in production mode instead, see https://vaadin.com/docs/v14/flow/production/tutorial-production-mode-basic.html
[...]
Oh, that is anything but intended. My usual scenarios are that the applications I create get deployed in environments I have direct control of. It seems I should have tested the deployment not just on my development machine where everything runs anyway.

Thank you for the qualified report. it is absolutely ok to stay away from internals. After all this is just a demo application to show what might be done but it is useless if it does not actually run. So I will check the deployment on my side.
Confirmed. On another machine (not my development machine) I run into the same problem.
The recommended fix is to compile for production, but even with that I run into the next error.

Previous Vaadin versions (not Spring-Boot-based) have not shown such intense problems. I will have to find a soluiton, not just for this demo application's purpose.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

I would like to add the following. Having recently updated - and uploaded - several instance of expansion packs, I for one welcome anything that makes the process less of a hassle!
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

UK_Eliter wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:31 pm
I would like to add the following. Having recently updated - and uploaded - several instance of expansion packs, I for one welcome anything that makes the process less of a hassle!
So we are already two to propose a change.

While coding my POC I learned the necessary step is actually quite easy and not necessarily to be done in Java. AFAIK the website is already dynamic and uses PHP, so the functionality could be added there as well. Unfortunately PHP is beyond my magic.
hiran wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:08 am
Is there someone somewhat familar with https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite-web ?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

So, I sort-of understood the beginning of this thread, and then got mugged by the semi-colon wielders!

As you know, Dizzy put together a guide for distribution here: The All-in-One Guide to OXZ Packaging and Distribution

As you know, your new wiki page (https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Publishing_your_OXP) directs one to that thread

Having worked my way through the copious and chronic contradictions between my oxz's manifests and their manifest.plists, I have satisfied myself that I am not the one to fillet the thread and write the wiki page. Dizzy at least understood what was going on!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?