[RELEASE] New Cargoes OXP (1.2.3 released 9 February 2013)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] New Cargoes OXP (1.2.3 released 9 February 201

Post by Zireael »

Any chance of this getting updated to use the wonderful capabilities introduced recently?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

There might at some point be a New Cargoes 2, but it would have to be implemented very differently internally. As with many OXPs, getting the basic framework right is fairly straightforward - it's doing all the data entry and balancing which takes the time, and at the moment I'm using that time on developing Oolite itself.
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Sorry for Necro'ing, but I really like this addon, but I find it extremely difficult to actually find some traderoutes.
How about add the import (or especially the export) to System screen same way Explorers Club or Distant Suns do.
(optimally would be it shows after "Gather Trade Route info").
Donno how difficult to integrate though.
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." - Isaac Asimov
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

It's intentionally not straightforward to find out imports and exports, because with good knowledge of them you can reliably make 2-3 times the trading profit of conventional goods, in the long term. Possibly higher than that with careful incorporation of galactic jumps into your trade routes.

The system screen does already include quite a few hints about the import and exports of systems - a lot of them are based around combinations of the data on that screen - but I don't intend to make it more explicit than that.
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Got it. Though it would still require some work to find actual traderoutes, especially if it only showed after Gather Trade Route Information.
Maybe if it faded after x days.

Anyway, gonna find some low-tech information registering materials (pen and paper) and do my own notes :lol:

edit : just had a thought: what if, when E-mail addon was installed, there was an option under Gather Trade Route..that said Subscribe (or Receive Email), which send Import/Export (and possible page 2 of info as well)?

That way its not "in your face" and still requires some digging to find good trade routes.
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." - Isaac Asimov
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Vincentz wrote:
edit : just had a thought: what if, when E-mail addon was installed, there was an option under Gather Trade Route..that said Subscribe (or Receive Email), which send Import/Export (and possible page 2 of info as well)?

That way its not "in your face" and still requires some digging to find good trade routes.
Well, the theory is that when you "Gather Trade Route Information" what you're actually doing is overhearing traders gossiping over drinks, in one of the Station Bars, so "subscribing" shouldn't really be possible. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Vincentz wrote:

Well, the theory is that when you "Gather Trade Route Information" what you're actually doing is overhearing traders gossiping over drinks, in one of the Station Bars, so "subscribing" shouldn't really be possible. :wink:
Yeah, its just, I really like this addon, I do however never really use it because its easier just to buy computers at hightech and furs at low tech. This, however, becomes somewhat bland and generic after a while, whereas this addon might require a few more jumps with same cargo in hold, but it becomes so much more interesting.
I... I am old, and my memory isn't what it used to be, so I kinda quickly forgets who wants Gargle Blasters (well, I guess everyone does, it is said its the best drink in existence).

Maybe instead of "subscribe" it could be "Send memo to self" or something. It would still require that player goes into Special Cargoes/Gather Trade Route info/Clicks Send memo + actually going through (tons) of emails looking for a good trade route. And if it was just for Exports, it wouldn't be served on a silver platter.
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Well, I managed to do it myself (pads self on shoulder, knowingly that most of you guys consider this equals a 2+2=4 equation)

I made an Export only and an Export/Import. The first is what I consider most canon to original mod.

I consider uploading as an addon to the addon, however I won't upload unless I get an OK from mod creator (given that its against original plan of mod).
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

You're welcome to make and release any changes you like in your own OXPs.
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

cim wrote:
You're welcome to make and release any changes you like in your own OXPs.
Actually I thought the earnings were higher, which was why the Export/Import was "hidden away".
Did an AI (computers) run, that would prolly have given more if it was "Standard" computers than Special Commodity Trading :
Less than 20 credits/TC for overpriced computers, where a normal good run would give 40 :?:
Does it take into effect about agri/indu levels? (The AIs were both bought and sold at Rich Indu).

(Did a farming machinery before that, and cant remember earnings. Prolly higher though)
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Vincentz wrote:
Does it take into effect about agri/indu levels? (The AIs were both bought and sold at Rich Indu).
This is one of the factors accounted for, yes. 20Cr/TC would be pretty good for RI->RI trade of the base commodity...

There are other factors beyond "system exports this" and "system imports this" at work too.
TraderJoe
Above Average
Above Average

Re: [RELEASE] New Cargoes OXP (1.2.3 released 9 February 2013)

Post by TraderJoe »

Hello Cim,

I love the New Cargos OXP - it has lifted the whole trader process to a new level and I love the way you can gather really valuable information from "Trader Net" and "Gather Trade Route Information". All a spectacular addition to Oolite and I am very grateful you have put in the time to build this.

I do have a question about auctions. I love the idea of auctions. The thrill of picking up valuable items at bargain prices would excite any trader! But I am not sure I understand the auction process. For ages I never seemed to be in the right place to participate in an auction. Always too early or too late. Then I worked out that if you enter the auction, your clock adjusts to the start time and you can bid (sorry - slow learner!). I am now developing an understanding for the different auction rules but the only one I have been able to buy in is the Angiana Auction, where I select buyout and get the goods. In this auction, each purchase has been at a good price that has enabled me to make a good profit when I take the goods to the right planet, but is there any way to know what your buy price will be?

In the "bid up" auction modes, I place a bid and nothing seems to happen for ages. What would be a normal time for eh auction to remain open, or to see another bid?
In the "reducing price" auction options, understandably, the starting price is high, but it doesn't seem to drop. What would be a reasonable time to wait?
Is there any way you can see an auction count down clock?

Currently I am getting great value out of Angiana auction, but am not getting anywhere with the others - am I missing something?

Many thanks for your development brilliance and in advance for your patience in reading this lengthy question.

Best wishes,

Trader Joe.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

TraderJoe wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:52 pm
In the "bid up" auction modes, I place a bid and nothing seems to happen for ages. What would be a normal time for eh auction to remain open, or to see another bid?
In the "reducing price" auction options, understandably, the starting price is high, but it doesn't seem to drop. What would be a reasonable time to wait?
What should happen is you place a bid (or choose to do nothing) and then the other participants do the same, you get the results, and can then act again - you shouldn't need to wait in real time. I suspect there's a bug of some sort.
DataPacRat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DataPacRat »

The Dark Wheel includes mention of a few particular cargoes, like "What about alien substances: Manjooza, fear glands, Marswurt?" (apparently narcotics, at least illegal), "Thrumpberry flavouring" (as opposed to juice), "sour-cream and pickles", "Vargorn mind-silk", "gold-flake scales of Geretean reptiles", "Lubrication oil", "lavender scented tissue paper", "arcturan burstweed", "tobacco", "Durassion", "Gemstones? There were maroon and silver spectonals for sale, and red-green emeronds", "fossilised Dironothaxaurian life-bones" at least. Any chance they could be thrown into the next release of New Cargoes?
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Does aₘᵢₙ=2c²/Θ ? I don't know, but wouldn't it be fascinating if it were?"
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

cim wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:45 pm
It's intentionally not straightforward to find out imports and exports, because with good knowledge of them you can reliably make 2-3 times the trading profit of conventional goods, in the long term. Possibly higher than that with careful incorporation of galactic jumps into your trade routes.

The F7 system screen does already include quite a few hints about the import and exports of systems - a lot of them are based around combinations of the data on that screen - but I don't intend to make it more explicit than that.
Cim, would I be correct in presuming that the introduction of the F8F8 commodity item screen was partially done in order to facilitate New Cargoes?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?