Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite.org down?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Oolite.org down?

Post by tsoj »

timer wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:30 pm
folk, please rate and give your opinion about current version (especially interested in criticism of the difference between the original and the dev version of the sections "whatsnew" and "screenshots"): http://dev2.oolite.site
Very nice! I like that your new version takes advantage of all the width of the screen, opposed to the old site, which only uses one half of my screen.
Maybe the font of "Basic Game" and "Expansion Packs" on the screenshots page could be a bit bigger, I think the old one is 10-20% bigger. But maybe that's just my imagination.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

tsoj wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:30 pm
folk, please rate and give your opinion about current version (especially interested in criticism of the difference between the original and the dev version of the sections "whatsnew" and "screenshots"): http://dev2.oolite.site
Very nice! I like that your new version takes advantage of all the width of the screen, opposed to the old site, which only uses one half of my screen.
Maybe the font of "Basic Game" and "Expansion Packs" on the screenshots page could be a bit bigger, I think the old one is 10-20% bigger. But maybe that's just my imagination.
I like it too. The changes are subtle enough to be recognized as 'the site'. :-)
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

tsoj wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:30 pm
oh... I changed the layout, now it can be evaluated differently... :oops:
Сreated a module for working with plist format, now (no base yet), it can provide data on extensions - the "Expansion pack" page is now fully functional.
http://dev2.oolite.site/oxps

PS plz do not forget clear browser cache!
PPS Now it's the admin panel turn...
Cobra MK III owner since 1994
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

WTF?
http://oolite.space
now working again...
the original server is accepting requests from my VPS again :?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

timer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:08 pm
WTF?
http://oolite.space
now working again...
the original server is accepting requests from my VPS again :?
http://oolite.space looks just fine on my AppleMac. As does http://dev2.oolite.site/oxps. My only "niggle" is about expanding the descriptions beyond the first 5 oxz's (thanks to the amount of space it takes up on my smaller laptop screen). But you clearly feel differently, and may well be right. NB: Thanks for the reminder to clear my cache!

Might it be an idea to reword the Expansions page?
There are over five hundred expansion packs released for Oolite. There are two expansion pack formats in use in Oolite 1.80 (or higher), usually referred to as OXZ and OXP. The OXZ format is more modern and can be downloaded and installed automatically by the game by selecting the "Manage Expansion Packs" option on the start screen. The OXP format is older and must be installed manually. As the OXZ format is currently new, many expansion packs are still only available in the older OXP format.

Almost all released expansion packs, regardless of format, are also listed on the Wiki's OXP List.
The Wiki is also home to the developer documentation.
If you have difficulty with an expansion pack, it is usually best to report this in its thread in the Expansion Pack forum.
If you are an expansion pack writer, you can upload your manifest files to the list.

The table below lists the OXZ expansion packs which can be automatically downloaded by Oolite 1.80 (or higher), as well as links for manual downloads if you prefer to do that. If you are still using Oolite 1.77.1 or an earlier version, OXZ format expansion packs will not be usable - you will be able to download OXP format expansions from other sites.

Click column header to sort table. Show all descriptions.
underline = addition
strikeout = subtraction

There are well over a thousand five hundred expansion packs released for Oolite. There are two expansion pack formats in use since in Oolite 1.80 (or higher), usually referred to as OXZ and OXP. The OXZ format is more modern and can be downloaded and installed automatically by the game by selecting the "Manage Expansion Packs" option on the start screen. The OXP format is older, easier to tweak and must be installed manually. As the OXZ format is currently new, many expansion packs are still only available in the older OXP format.

Almost all released expansion packs, regardless of format, are also listed on the Wiki's various OXP Lists.
If you have difficulty with an expansion pack, it is usually best to report this in its thread in the Expansion Pack forum.
If you are an expansion pack writer, you can upload your manifest files to the list.

The table below lists the OXZ expansion packs which can be automatically downloaded by the newer Oolites (or higher), as well as links for manual downloads if you prefer to do that. If you are using Oolite 1.77.1 or an earlier version, these OXZ format expansion packs will not be usable - you will be able to download OXP format expansions from other sites.

Click column header to sort table. Show all remaining descriptions.

ie: edit it to read like this:
There are well over a thousand expansion packs released for Oolite. There are two expansion pack formats in use since Oolite 1.77, usually referred to as OXZ and OXP. The OXZ format is more modern and can be downloaded and installed automatically by the game by selecting the "Manage Expansion Packs" option on the start screen. The OXP format is older, easier to tweak, and must be installed manually.

Almost all released expansion packs, regardless of format, are also listed on the Wiki's various OXP Lists.

The table below lists the OXZ expansion packs which can be automatically downloaded by the newer Oolites (or higher), as well as links for manual downloads if you prefer to do that. If you are using Oolite 1.77.1 or an earlier version, these OXZ format expansion packs will not be usable.

Click column header to sort table. Show remaining descriptions.
And maybe change the "OXP List" link from https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_List to https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Category:OXP_Lists

Note on this: The OXP List page in the wiki quickly became out of date as people did not bother updating it and just put their new oxz's on the Expansions Manager instead. When I became active with the wiki I found that updating it was a major chore, and created the new (and easier) Guide to Unlisted OXPs page instead to collect all the forgotten oxps which I was unearthing on the BB.

On the other hand, the OXP List is where Old Murgh listed his Iron Ass OXPs, so it has not fallen by the wayside.

Reminder: Cody has mentioned the need to use screen shots which are in focus. The current ones seem in focus to me - but that might just be my creaking eye-balls!

Might it be an idea to reword part of the Main page?
One of the most important aspects of Oolite is customisation: almost all parts of the game can be modified using simple free text and graphics tools, and over five hundred expansion packs are available, ranging from minor tweaks such as a new ship or replacement sound effects, all the way up to giant missions it could take you weeks to play through.
to
One of the most important aspects of Oolite is customisation: almost all parts of the game can be modified using simple free text and graphics tools, and over five hundred expansion packs are available, ranging from minor tweaks such as a new ship or replacement sound effects, all the way up to adding complex solar systems, navies or giant missions it could take you weeks to play through.

Question: are there any other "giant missions" apart from Xeptatl's Sword?.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:02 am
http://oolite.space looks just fine on my AppleMac.
The problem is that this behavior is unstable... today oolite.org again allow requests from my server, tomorrow maybe not...
As does http://dev2.oolite.site/oxps. My only "niggle" is about expanding the descriptions beyond the first 5 oxz's (thanks to the amount of space it takes up on my smaller laptop screen). But you clearly feel differently, and may well be right. NB: Thanks for the reminder to clear my cache!
ok, returned 5 elements and tiny tweaked the style to more compact table rows.
Sorry, other part of big post I'll read later (after work) )
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

Might it be an idea to reword the Expansions page?
upplied to "about" and "oxp" pages, plz check.

PS http://dev2.oolite.site, and remember about browser cache.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Hi to all. I managed to get a backup of the currently active oolite.org site.
I wanted to test it before merging it into master branch and so I brought it up at http://oolite.ddns.net:8077 .
However, it seems that it can't connect to ooaddons MySQL database to fetch the OXZs.

I even tried from command line using

Code: Select all

mysql -u 167579_dg61666 -h ooaddons-167579.mysql.binero.se -p -D 167579-ooaddons
but I get

Code: Select all

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'ooaddons-167579.mysql.binero.se' (115)
What am I missing? Any ideas?
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

connection to an external server?
there the database server listens on external IP or only on 127.0.0.1 ?
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

timer wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:48 pm
I don’t know how to login and check that on that server.
But how come your dev2 site doesn’t encounter this issue?
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

Getafix wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:40 pm
I don’t know how to login and check that on that server.
But how come your dev2 site doesn’t encounter this issue?
My code never had access to DB and origin server - I just parse src Oolite-manifests.plist by perl script and convert it to json.
Now current static version of site (only html+js+css) use this json file for display oxp table.
New version of site we deploy on GitHub(Free)+CloudFlare(Free) - no VPS needed. Lang is only JS.
Admin panel (dynamic part of site) for edit oxp manifests will be on CloudFlare Workers.

I seen source of site (git) and I understood - what DB structure is. The most valuable for me from current DB is "User" table - column with passwd "hash" - it is important for migrate to new DB. phkb said he downloaded db backup. So if I'll have db backup - authors of oxp will use new version without problems, if not... it will be "merry" process for "restore access".

Of course, all this is ONLY on the condition that the community accepts the option of a new site that is built on an independent resource.

PS:
1) dev dev2 now the same;
2) oolite.site is temporary devel domain;
3) after restore control over oolite.org(only try buy?) - oolte.space will most likely disappear.
4) all login/pass will be shared with active members
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

This would be some odd setup indeed.
I think we are getting to know the old Oolite project infrastructure in small slices. Hosted by many different parties in different locations, and each of them being single point of failure. IMHO I believe it is not worth investigating but rather setup from scratch.

Did not phkb pull a backup of the database?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

Guys I'm about (in an hour from now) to merge the OoliteProject/oolite-web repository changes (from Oolite v1.90 release) into the master branch (github repo).
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

Getafix wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:21 pm
Guys I'm about (in an hour from now) to merge the OoliteProject/oolite-web repository changes (from Oolite v1.90 release) into the master branch (github repo).
Ok, just plz don't destroy our branches: only-static and only-media )
It is now automatic deploy (trigger on git commit) in CloudFlare, and u can see result at dev.oolite.site
html+js+css from only-static branch, images from only-media branch.
Now started coding of admin part (SQLite+JS in CloudFlare)...

@Getafix we very very glad to see you online!!!! "oldies" came back!!! ))
Would you agree to accept an invite(as admin) to the CloudFlare oolite-account and check/help what we are doing?
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

timer wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:48 pm
Ok, just plz don't destroy our branches: only-static and only-media )
Sure!

@Getafix we very very glad to see you online!!!! "oldies" came back!!! ))
...and rustier than ever. :)
The effort that is put by you guys to gather the pieces and recreate a topology, caught my attention.

Would you agree to accept an invite(as admin) to the CloudFlare oolite-account and check/help what we are doing?
I have only partially gone through this thread's posts, therefore, I don't have a solid grasp yet of what has been discussed.
Please, share the invite and I hope I can add some value.