Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Various ideas, OXP and main game?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Various ideas, OXP and main game?

Post by Diziet Sma »

Zark Montor wrote:
extra ranks are 50/50 because some users might prefer the original untampered ranks.
Well, if you follow Pleb's link above, you'll see that the ability for extra ranks will probably also appear in the Oolite core at some point..
Zark Montor wrote:
Firstly, is there going to be any follow ups to the Assassins Guild OXP? I'd like to go a bit Keyser Soze, and wipe the guild out, knowing what they know about my work leaves me a bit uncomfortable...
Hehe.. I like the way you think.. Well, Littlebear, the creator, is kinda up to his eyebrows in legal work these days, (he's a lawyer) and has been for some time, so I'm guessing the answer is "probably not anytime soon"..
Zark Montor wrote:
Is there any way to make donations to Oolite development? I'm not talking loadsa dough, but if we could donate to the development team and maybe some of the creators of the top end OXPs, we might encourage them to continue their fine work!ZM
Hmm.. that's probably something of a grey area, from the perspective of Oolite's "under the radar" status.. Aegidean and the other devs themselves would be best positioned to answer that one.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Zark Montor wrote:
Firstly, is there going to be any follow ups to the Assassins Guild OXP?
Well, Littlebear, the creator, is kinda up to his eyebrows in legal work these days, (he's a lawyer) and has been for some time, so I'm guessing the answer is "probably not anytime soon"..
Leafy got LittleBear's permission to create an [EliteWiki] extra mission for Assassins (he was going to make more, but he's gone walkabout).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Zark Montor wrote:
Firstly, is there going to be any follow ups to the Assassins Guild OXP? I'd like to go a bit Keyser Soze, and wipe the guild out, knowing what they know about my work leaves me a bit uncomfortable...
Might get sued by David B if he thinks Oolite it making any money...

Also as for the extra ranks not much interest was shown in it so I stopped working on it. And I'm now working on HIMSN doing the AI for that. But it's definitely possible if you follow the instructions I've provided! :)
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Diogenese Senna
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Diogenese Senna »

I'd be VERY interested in Extra Ranks, especially any above Elite.

Suggestions - Knight Elite (12800) and Paladin Elite (25600)
Location - Galaxy 5 : Python Explorer : Elite
'Death by Wife is fast becoming a real world OXP mission'
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Zark Montor wrote:
Is there any way to make donations to Oolite development? I'm not talking loadsa dough, but if we could donate to the development team and maybe some of the creators of the top end OXPs, we might encourage them to continue their fine work!ZM
No, not like that. Oolite is very decidedly a not-for-profit project, and the (relatively slow) turnover in the development team is just part of that. All in all, it has been remarkably stable. As for OXP creators, there will also always be a turnover, which isn't a bad thing, mind you, because while some of the ancients may retire, there is also an influx of new blood (and new ideas).

So, from my point of view, no tip-jar, no financial contributions.

However, having said that, we actually have had some (very small) fundraisers in the past, for instance to help Aegidian to pay the hosting fees for these boards. That's not a contribution towards the game (or towards people associated with the game), but a contribution towards the running costs for this community, which is an important difference. And I could easily see something like this happening again in the future. Maybe Aegidian could drop a message whenever the next bill from his ISP is due, and members who feel inclined to make a small contribution for the community could then respond.
Diogenese Senna
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Diogenese Senna »

I'd be happy a throw a Tenner in that direction.
Location - Galaxy 5 : Python Explorer : Elite
'Death by Wife is fast becoming a real world OXP mission'
Zark Montor
Competent
Competent

Post by Zark Montor »

Yeah, i'd be up for a general donation of that nature, £10 seems about right!

Keep us posted on that front.

ZM
I have returned! Less annoying and still enjoying the mighty Oo!
1.86 on self reconned dell studio xps thru Pep 8/64. Runs very well.
Nice to see its still well supported. Oo, Suits you, Sir!
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Yup - up for funding the community.

The moment we start funding "the game" we risk lawyers poking around.
Zark Montor
Competent
Competent

Post by Zark Montor »

Ok, point taken! I just would like to see this project continue, i always felt Elite could have been more on some of the other Computers of yester year, Elite on the Amiga was nice with its filled vectors, but nothing was added to a straight 8 to 16 bit conversion other than the 8 use retro rockets and the Wolf Mark II.
Frontier was just LAME! a real disappointment. Luckily with both of these games, i got pre production copies, thanks to the fact i was working for Silica Shop and i maintained the software reviews for the company system, so i never had to spend any money on them! I, of course, had to buy the C64 version, which i still have, box and all, somewhere in the loft, with a copy of the novella "The Dark Wheel" purchased at the PCW show, at Olympia in 1985!!

As i say, once i've attained Elite, i'll probably start a new commander, unless someone creates an OXP that enables me to take over the Ooniverse!
Since i've found Oolite, i've neglected my Call of Duty clan, hardly touched our PS4 and have missed most of the new blu rays my son has purchased recently.

Its taking over my life! So it must be worth at least a tenner! I mean, Elite on the C64 was £12.95 back in the day!!

Keep up the good work devs and OXP creators, your work is greatly appreciated!

ZM
I have returned! Less annoying and still enjoying the mighty Oo!
1.86 on self reconned dell studio xps thru Pep 8/64. Runs very well.
Nice to see its still well supported. Oo, Suits you, Sir!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Sendraks wrote:
Yup - up for funding the community.

The moment we start funding "the game" we risk lawyers poking around.
Yes, I expect you're right...

Nice idea though Zark. I'd happily chip in too.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Zark Montor wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:51 pm
As i say, once i've attained Elite, i'll probably start a new commander, unless someone creates an OXP that enables me to take over the Ooniverse!
Did you ever get there? ...and what did you do next?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?