Oolite Multiplayer? Please read

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Oolite Multiplayer? Please read

Post by Cholmondely »

Cmdr James wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:56 pm
It would, I think, be relatively easy to have each world gradually replenish its export goods and have the level drop semi randomly when a ship launches, perhaps even assigning the npc the cargo it just bought.

Maybe even tie this in with shuttles bringing the goods up from the surface.

I dont see how this relates to multi player though.
Thanks to Phkb's suggested tweaks to that oxp, Phasted's Real Life Economics finally kicked in while I was trying out his Ship Configuration.oxp. RLE seems to do all of that. I arrived at Isinor - vast quantities of food and furs, with prices continually changing (food bounced around between 0.1 - 0.8₢/TC over a five minute period as I was buying and then had to sell some back as I forgot to buy fuel).

Link is here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 55#p167655
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:20 am
I forgot to buy fuel.
That should be the first thing you do after docking. You never know when you might get blasted back out into space!
Fuel is cheap or free - but out there in the Big Black, it's priceless!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:30 am
I forgot to buy fuel.
That should be the first thing you do after docking. You never know when you might get blasted back out into space!
Fuel is cheap or free - but out there in the Big Black, it's priceless!
Habit. I rely on the AutoRefuel OXP by BryonArn. New ship, no money - so no automatic refuel as no dosh to stump up for it. So I sold back some of the food - and noticed that all of a sudden I was making a loss! Not used to this OXP yet but it seems worth while... what a nice surprise - one tends to take so much for granted...
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cmdr James wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:56 pm
It would, I think, be relatively easy to have each world gradually replenish its export goods and have the level drop semi randomly when a ship launches, perhaps even assigning the npc the cargo it just bought.

Maybe even tie this in with shuttles bringing the goods up from the surface.

I dont see how this relates to multi player though.
Thanks to Phkb's suggested tweaks to that oxp, Phasted's Real Life Economics finally kicked in while I was trying out his Ship Configuration.oxp. RLE seems to do all of that. I arrived at Isinor - vast quantities of food and furs, with prices continually changing (food bounced around between 0.1 - 0.8₢/TC over a five minute period as I was buying and then had to sell some back as I forgot to buy fuel).

Link is here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 55#p167655
I do not mind making the economy more dynamic - in a global way.

Now that there is a way to send events into the various Ooniverses, we can introduce message types that do not have to be understood by Oolite Communicator - rather it should directly forward such messages into the Ooniverse it is connected to. This way we can achieve to have OXPs reacting to such events and a central component deciding when to send which event. The central component can this way bias ooniverses to a certain degree and/or trigger missions that actually are implemented inside normal OXPs. we'd have a great amount of flexibility here.

The only question would be how it could be possible to send events to OXPs via the debug console.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:34 pm
The only question would be how it could be possible to send events to OXPs via the debug console.
Create a base OXP that each player needs to have installed, which for the sake of example we'll call "CrossPlay". Inside this, you can set up a variety of variables and functions to perform all your cross-system gameplay. Then, if player A triggers something (an event that would initiate a multi-player mission, lets say), that would be triggered in their local "CrossPlay" OXP and settings would then be changed. Then, your multiplayer secondary app would poll the settings of the CrossPlay OXP and find a changed setting, which would then be sent to all other connected players. Now, everyone would have the mission/setting/etc.

That's how I imagine it would work in broad terms. As always, the devil's in the detail. For a test run on some sort of community/multi-player mission, I'd probably try for a "Collect 1000t of Computers and deliver them to X", where each player's contribution to the goal can be tracked.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:38 pm
Create a base OXP that each player needs to have installed, which for the sake of example we'll call "CrossPlay". Inside this, you can set up a variety of variables and functions to perform all your cross-system gameplay. Then, if player A triggers something (an event that would initiate a multi-player mission, lets say), that would be triggered in their local "CrossPlay" OXP and settings would then be changed. Then, your multiplayer secondary app would poll the settings of the CrossPlay OXP and find a changed setting, which would then be sent to all other connected players. Now, everyone would have the mission/setting/etc.

That's how I imagine it would work in broad terms. As always, the devil's in the detail. For a test run on some sort of community/multi-player mission, I'd probably try for a "Collect 1000t of Computers and deliver them to X", where each player's contribution to the goal can be tracked.
I like your idea. See my response in https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=278826#p278826
Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Mick »

Tagging this thread for later.....
Right on Commander!!
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Just for curiosity I checked whether/how some other implementation is handling multiplayer.
And as it seems some earlier version actually was able to run LAN games where pilots could deathmatch each other.
https://wiki.vega-strike.org/Development:Network

The latest version however does not come with multiplayer - it seems there were still many issues.
https://www.vega-strike.org/blog/2021/0 ... 0-release/
We have also disabled the networking code for the time being while we focus on the core engine.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

So who would like to give Multiplayer Oolite a try?
I have something that is worth playing - and I need to learn about problems and new ideas.

Who is in for a test ride?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

If we were to implement a complete multiplayer solution (just hypothetically), in the beginning of the thread there are voices warning about network lag and bandwidth problems.

I'd like to point out that BZFlag, a multiplayer game playable over TCP/IP since - ever? - can handle this reasonable well. And I found some description what they are perceiving and doing: https://wiki.bzflag.org/Network It does not resolve the problems, but it handles them with an acceptable realism. Something that could have been created for Oolite as well. Just hypothetically.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:52 pm
So who would like to give Multiplayer Oolite a try?
I have something that is worth playing - and I need to learn about problems and new ideas.

Who is in for a test ride?
Hiran, I just came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GJcMh9lyS8

See P D James at the bottom.

Also, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylkpDi0QXeY

See Philip Kerry, John Tringali, Phil Hibbs, Thomas J?, Shawn GBR, Mysioreu

I wonder if those who were keen on Oolite Multiplayer all drifted away?
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:03 pm
Hiran, I just came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GJcMh9lyS8

See P D James at the bottom.

Also, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylkpDi0QXeY

See Philip Kerry, John Tringali, Phil Hibbs, Thomas J?, Shawn GBR, Mysioreu

I wonder if those who were keen on Oolite Multiplayer all drifted away?
It seems there are indeed still dreamers out there. But none of them active here.