Nicotine and vape

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Nicotine and vape

Post by Cody »

No, I'm talking strictly hospital consultants - a special breed.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Funny, I've decide to try to quit exactly last week. I'm writing this while smoking one - well, the one roll per day that I allow myself. I've gotta appreciate it, so I'm going to pause for a moment before writing the rest...

Back to keyboard.

Vape - I dislike being near people using them because of the overly sweet smell. Plus, it makes it very obvious that you're breathing the air they've just exhaled; in the flu season it's not exactly pleasant.

I considered switching to it (could be a good Xmas gift), but given that I'm actually wanting to quit it would go to waste. Another thing about e-cigarette is that I'm a bit worried that smoking artificial aromas might not be a good idea - there's very little history about the long term effects of deposits of those chemicals in the lungs; and I've read somewhere that they've found that some cheap import products were indeed toxic.

In my little experience nicotine addiction is actually nothing. You can easily get over it by just quitting for one day or two. What's difficult is to get rid of is all of the habits built around the cigarette. You have to rebuild yourself because for long-time smokers, the cigarette is almost part of your identity.

I still smoke one cigarette in the evening but that's only to... reward myself for the hard work on my bad habits. This very last bad habit will find some substitute - maybe a good "welcome back" beer.

And I'm looking forward to the "extremely surreal" time Stormrider talks about.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Astrobe wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:48 pm
I still smoke one cigarette in the evening but that's only to... reward myself for the hard work on my bad habits. This very last bad habit will find some substitute - maybe a good "welcome back" beer.
Ahhhh, the only thing better than a nico hit, A cold dark beer.. $11 Au. a pint now. And me being a gallon man. Well, tis a bit cheaper to drink petrol :lol: :lol:

A few years back, had a neighbour that brewed. For cost he would make me beer to spec. He was really good at it. Very seldom sober then. Probably not the best thing in hind sight.

Met a bloke while living in the Cairngorms, He would have one smoke at precisely 9pm. If he missed his time he would wait till the next day. I asked him why.

"Some people are strange, get used to it"
Don't think I've ever been told truer.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Yup. There are no studies on the effect of vaping. I was smoking tobac long before there were any real studies on that. A couple of hundred years after anyone bothered to ask.
So our anti-smoking na-sayers can be right.

Ask yourself. Do you drive a car? Use electricity? Do a few diminishing smokers really add to your air pollution? Have they ever? Compared with jet travel? Or cows farting?

You are so media fixated on a tiny minority you forget the fossil fuel burning problem because you do not smell it, as it's been there since birth.

Basically.. F**k Off. Try and smell the roses over the petrochemicals that allow you to buy them. Bet you never thought about the clothes you wear and the poisons involved. Even cotton involves hundreds of millions of tonnes of deadly toxins.

And you worry about a smoker!
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

I'll just chime in to say that I replace addiction to cigarettes with addition to so-called nicotine microtabs. Still, they've got to me better for me than the fags.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

I'm thinking the history of the word 'fag' got my post deleted.

Or my ISP is getting heavily under the US comms jury.

Fag. Small bundle of wood that can be carried for an evenings cooking/warmth and light for serfs.

Fag. Portable means of the paper tube of tobacco.

Fag. Male homosexual.

Fag. Short for Faggot, except the tobacco one.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Alex wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 pm
What, by the Oolite board moderators, and when you weren't using the word to condemn homosexuals? I think that's unlikely. Why, my own post, above, used the word!
Cody

Post by Cody »

As far as I'm aware (nothing logged), no posts have been deleted/moderated, Alex - but it'd be cool if you'd ease up a little on the expletives.

<lights another smoke>
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

<lights another smoke>

Damnydoomjusfogut

That is crool with cruella all over it.

I can smell it from here you barsteward..
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Cody wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:14 pm
As far as I'm aware (nothing logged), no posts have been deleted/moderated, Alex - but it'd be cool if you'd ease up a little on the expletives.

<lights another smoke>
"lights another smoke"

Krool crool cruel

Funny enough, it's not really the smoke part, but the habit of rolling a smoke that's the worser. Muscle memory! Vape deals with the nico, but the hands still want to do the rolling. Strange eh.

"expletives" Mmm. I tend to take a bit of care not to swear or use common words that are seen as swearing. Am I miss reading 'expletives'?
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Alex wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:31 am
I was introduced to nicotine at inception. Both parents smoked.
Not unusual for the 60's.
2017 and gave the tobbac away for the vape. still the nico but not the tar.

Any thoughts from X smokers?
Not a smoker but like you..grew up in the fifties with both parents Heavy smokers: 3-4 pack a day. Dad died of lung cancer, told by Drs to quite after his ulcer operation but instead.. he lied, told everyone that he quit but we knew better... he would go to the small bathroom in the hall , shut the door and smoke. when he came out.. the smoke was as thick as a london fog and the smell was something to gag over. we had to leave the door open but that never worked a he would go back in and do the routine all over a gain.. 7-8 times a day.

I have a brother in low who says that diesels don't smell... I love to ruffle his feathers when we get behind a stinky old diesel and calmly suggest that the diesel has a severe case of fuel flatulence.
Did you know that even electric cars have their own smell... that of burning insulaltion when they start up from a red light stop.
Vape smokers here in the us must think that they need to be smelting chimneys and put out as much soke as they can... I marvel at the amount that they put out.... must be 10- times that of a cigarette and I don't believe that it is all "steam" as advertised. hack-hack.
Love this post and cody... put that torpedoe away... smells like a rope burning. UGH.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:39 am
Alex wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:31 am

Not a smoker but like you..grew up in the fifties with both parents Heavy smokers: 3-4 pack a day. Dad died of lung cancer, told by Drs to quite after his ulcer operation but instead.. he lied, told everyone that he quit but we knew better... he would go to the small bathroom in the hall , shut the door and smoke. when he came out.. the smoke was as thick as a london fog and the smell was something to gag over. we had to leave the door open but that never worked a he would go back in and do the routine all over a gain.. 7-8 times a day.

I have a brother in low who says that diesels don't smell... I love to ruffle his feathers when we get behind a stinky old diesel and calmly suggest that the diesel has a severe case of fuel flatulence.
Did you know that even electric cars have their own smell... that of burning insulaltion when they start up from a red light stop.
Vape smokers here in the us must think that they need to be smelting chimneys and put out as much soke as they can... I marvel at the amount that they put out.... must be 10- times that of a cigarette and I don't believe that it is all "steam" as advertised. hack-hack.
Love this post and cody... put that torpedoe away... smells like a rope burning. UGH.

'Fuel Flatulence' HAHHAhha I nearly fell over at that.
Wee word. The more deadly fuels used, we add stinky stuff to. Just so you know it's there. Diesel is not one of them. Stinky and smokey on it's own.
London SMOG Killed a few thousand in some weeks. Combination of cold weather and coal burning for warmth. Catch 22 if you like. London being in a river basin.

Vape is not steam. Steam is water vapour. Smoke vape with nico is a mix of quite a few things, water not being high in the mix. Still better than tobbac or any emission from an internal combustion engine, not to mention Jet engine. Which add hundreds of millions of tonnes of deadly gasses to our air.

Electric cars: Mm. Batteries? Production of electricity? Never mind the cost of oil based materials to make them light enough.
Here's a thought;
Make your car from bamboo and pay kids on bicycles to pull them. Pay them in education on how adults made their air unbreathable.

OOps I do think I may have hit another can of worms.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Alex wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:16 pm
OHIEE! I am occasionally asked an opinion, is that not a consultant?
Just curious - you've presumably been at it for 5 years now. What do you think of it?

I've occasionally thought of trying it (curious about the effects of nicotine), but have yet to find a UK shop that just lets you try before buying...

I did find this thread more informative than anything else I've yet come across.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:41 pm
I've occasionally thought of trying it (curious about the effects of nicotine), but have yet to find a UK shop that just lets you try before buying...
Only just spotted this. If you're not a smoker, you'd be a fool to try vaping. Nicotine is highly addictive, and the vaping craze is mostly being driven by the big tobacco companies, searching for new victims for their product!