[WIP] GalCop's Mid-Space Hangar

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

[WIP] GalCop's Mid-Space Hangar

Post by pleiadian »

I know that there is an OXP called Hyperspace Hangar, and while that's all nice and funky and all that, I think that your ships are "moving with you" in hyperspace is a little too convenient.

So for that reason I'm trying to add a new strategic element to the game, through which you would have to be considering the location you want to use as one of your hangars, or maybe even your home hangar. The idea is to have a lot of space, but it's not infinite. Entire ships and all its equipment can be stored in one such hangar. If you do store a ship, it will be disassembled and put into storage for you - that does take some in-game time, depending on the ship. Inversely, re-assembling a ship also takes time. Additionally each equipment item (except MFDs maybe) is also stored separately for you. That has the side effect of you being able to mix and match your equipment for each ship you own. Maybe I will find a mechanism to store and load ship "configs", like ship setups.

In order to prevent the ever-growing number of accidents in docking bays and traffic lanes, GalCop introduces - for the first time ever in a product - two docking ramps - one for incoming traffic only, and the second one is for exiting ships only. This way both events, arriving and leaving, can happen in two seperate lanes without incident (hopefully).

Anyways, to make that work you obviously need some kind of hangar for that, and I have begun designing it. In essence it's a large funky cube, as that is the most efficient storage space. It'll slowly rotate like the other stations, and has roughly the same size. I have not built in the docking bay yet.

So let me present you GalCop's latest superstructure in progress:

Some more details:

Constructive criticism is welcomed and encouraged!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: [WIP] GalCop's Mid-Space Hangar

Post by Norby »

Nice! So technically this is a station without market but with shipyard and a new interface to store ships locally.

An easy way to separate the incoming and outgoing traffic is a "tube" in RRS and Superhub. This need a single hidden dock subentity only what you can reuse from these packages. In this case the whole central ring on your model could be the docking tube which would be good for somewhat larger ships also.
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

This super docking bay would allow ships with a maximum size (with and/or height) of about 200m to fit through.

Ramen
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Ramen »

Nice work! This will be a wonderful alternative to the OXP I wrote (note: I no longer maintain it. phkb does, and many thanks to him for doing so.) As for Hyperspace Hangar being too convenient, I realized quite early it was like that. In fact, some of the earliest replies I got were jokes about Hyperspace Hangar crashing the economy. I don't have modelling skills, so I didn't even think of this. Just goes to show the power of open source development. I shall now return to my thousand year slumber.
That is not my desk.
I find this lack of milk... disturbing.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Definitely - put this somewhere strategically useful and pray that it never gets attacked by Thargoids / pirates, that the sun never goes nova, etc. etc.

Maybe one or two per galaxy in VERY high-tech systems.

I was going to suggest having different contents in each hanger you use, but it looks like what you're doing is keeping descriptions of the ships, not the ships themselves, so when you get a different ship you're essentially buying a new ship identical to the old one. The fees for this should be HUGE!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

pleiadian wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 7:32 pm
I know that there is an OXP called Hyperspace Hangar, and while that's all nice and funky and all that, I think that your ships are "moving with you" in hyperspace is a little too convenient.

So for that reason I'm trying to add a new strategic element to the game, through which you would have to be considering the location you want to use as one of your hangars, or maybe even your home hangar. The idea is to have a lot of space, but it's not infinite. Entire ships and all its equipment can be stored in one such hangar. If you do store a ship, it will be disassembled and put into storage for you - that does take some in-game time, depending on the ship. Inversely, re-assembling a ship also takes time. Additionally each equipment item (except MFDs maybe) is also stored separately for you. That has the side effect of you being able to mix and match your equipment for each ship you own. Maybe I will find a mechanism to store and load ship "configs", like ship setups.

In order to prevent the ever-growing number of accidents in docking bays and traffic lanes, GalCop introduces - for the first time ever in a product - two docking ramps - one for incoming traffic only, and the second one is for exiting ships only. This way both events, arriving and leaving, can happen in two seperate lanes without incident (hopefully).

Anyways, to make that work you obviously need some kind of hangar for that, and I have begun designing it. In essence it's a large funky cube, as that is the most efficient storage space. It'll slowly rotate like the other stations, and has roughly the same size. I have not built in the docking bay yet.

So let me present you GalCop's latest superstructure in progress:

Some more details:

Constructive criticism is welcomed and encouraged!
Any chance of seeing these images?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?