Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[UPDATE RELEASE] Xeptatl's Sword OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: [UPDATE RELEASE] Xeptatl's Sword OXP

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:20 pm
This can be removed from the list, I think...

This Triangle-Dumbell-station looks fine and original to me...
Done. I presume that the "opened part" of the docking bay is either due to the way you took the picture - or done by design...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Am I to presume the xs-thunderchild is a blackops variant of the HIMSN?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

cbr wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:50 pm
Am I to presume the xs-thunderchild is a blackops variant of the HIMSN?
Not quite sure I understand - but I think Smivs used one of the ships from [EliteWiki] Liners for HIMS Thunder Child.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re:Xeptatl's Sword OXP

Post by Cholmondely »

Smivs was greatly in favour of HIMSN and offered ThunderChild for use as a naval vessel. The consensus of the time decided against. He also created his own version of a history for HIMSN in Xeptatl's Sword (the eventual lore for HIMSN was developed by Disembodied and Cody).
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

I was a bit confused with/at the logo, colo(u)rs in combination with HIMSN...

( custom skin used here :wink: )

Nice bit of explaining lore from our resident historian :!:
Cody

Re: Re:Xeptatl's Sword OXP

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:04 pm
The consensus of the time decided against.
The cruiser really didn't fit with HIMSN (too big, not consistent with the look/style we wanted). Neither did the carrier, to be honest.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:20 pm
I was a bit confused with/at the logo, colo(u)rs in combination with HIMSN...

( custom skin used here :wink: )

Nice bit of explaining lore from our resident historian :!:
I would have thought that textures in line with those of HIMSN would make sense, and might well be in line with what Smivs wanted to do (presuming that there are no great glaring inconsistencies between our vestigial HIMSN & Xeptatl's Sword)

When you finish the texturing, I hope to test it out (I hope that Sniper-Lock will grant me the necessary combat skills to cope!).
Comments wanted:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:55 pm
... presuming that there are no great glaring inconsistencies between our vestigial HIMSN & Xeptatl's Sword...
HIMSN pretty much fits with the core game, as regards the Griff-style/ships (apart from the aforementioned carrier), whereas XS does not.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Cody wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:13 pm
HIMSN pretty much fits with the core game, as regards the Griff-style/ships (apart from the aforementioned carrier), whereas XS does not.
Well, as much as anything it keeps XS kinda special and unique and the Xs -thunderbird an one off venture...

(perhaps both carriers are closer in appearance to each other than to the other HIMSN ships)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:13 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:55 pm
... presuming that there are no great glaring inconsistencies between our vestigial HIMSN & Xeptatl's Sword...
Of course.

But if one wants to add XS, why should it not fit in (at least superficially) with HIMSN? I'd have thought that Smivs would have wanted that.

But if you can debug him (pry him away from his bugs for a minute or two), you could ask him!
Comments wanted:
Cody

Post by Cody »

cbr wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:47 pm
Well, as much as anything it keeps XS kinda special and unique...
<nods>
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I guess I have to admit that I just can't find the time or energy to pick this one up again and finish it. Still, I'm quite confident that the unfinished version I released to this thread should work just fine. It's just the matter of updating the models and someone should probably test fly it :mrgreen: . So, if there is someone ambitious enough to pick the oxp and finish it, please don't hesitate, just make it happen.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

spara wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:53 am
I guess I have to admit that I just can't find the time or energy to pick this one up again and finish it. Still, I'm quite confident that the unfinished version I released to this thread should work just fine. It's just the matter of updating the models and someone should probably test fly it :mrgreen: . So, if there is someone ambitious enough to pick the oxp and finish it, please don't hesitate, just make it happen.
I would hope that you don't need to. I'm presuming that the only work that needs doing is to add the handful of retextures which you mentioned, and cbr seems willing to have a stab at it (if we can feed him enough cookies)! I can give it a test-run (presuming that oxp's can compensate for Cholly's crummy combat capabilities). If anything else turns up to need doing we might send an urgent message over to Finland, but there are probably enough of us here to sort it out...

But you might need to pick up the pieces from the duel over Thunderchild's livery and find somewhere safe to inter them...
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Re:Xeptatl's Sword OXP

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:45 pm

smallish station ( 512 x 512 x 600 ) with partial oxp textures...

As Spara said this oxp is technically working, you could put it in the oxz manager Cholmondeley :!: :?: :idea:
cbr: thank you!!

More than happy to do so, but

1) Do you think that we should test-drive it first?

And 2) I'd like to add a shiplibrary.plist for the non-secret contents (presumably the stuff as listed here: Xeptatl's Sword (Ships, Stations and Objects))

And 3) I'd like to include Library OXP entries for the PAD for relevant people/systems as encountered

Conclusion: So we could put your and Spara's v.3.0 up now, and then test-drive it and add in the relevant bits and bobs, eventually putting up v.3.1 on the Expansions Manager. Would you rather take that route?

Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Xeptatl's Sword OXP

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:59 pm
For a one man station perhaps still to big, perhaps in the future an even smaller one will be made.

As mentioned there were 1000s of stations so I took a non asteroid approach...
I know little about this oxp. But if the monitor station is supposed to be hidden, then the asteroid carapace is presumably some sort of disguise to make it blend in with an asteroid field... or whatever...
The Society have over 1000 monitor stations around the Eight Galaxies, which are, as the name suggest, surveillance and monitoring posts. They intercept Thargoid communications and monitor Thargoid activity as part of the Society's remit. They are normally situated close to the Sun and are similar to Rock Hermit bases, but have a much better range of facilities and equipment as they also act as bases for operations carried out by the Society's Agents.
I'll see what I can add in terms of 2 & 3 and then bung it up, P.G.!

By the way, any chance of a retexture for this (I am willing to bet that you could come up with something looking a million times more interesting!).

GalDrivePod:
Last edited by Cholmondely on Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted: