Current state of Mac version?

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Current state of Mac version?

Post by another_commander »

Let's start with uploading all the crash logs to a site like pastebin.com, with a link to each of the pastes here. We need to know which 1.91 version you are using and if there is anything in the logs that can provide any hints what is going on.

My guess is that you are using a quite old version and a few crash cases have been fixed recently.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

As far as I know there has only been the one Apple Mac version (Oolite development version 1.91.0-220208 (x86-64 test release) under Mac OS X Version 10.15.3 (Build 19D2064)) - the one you persuaded Getafix to create.

If you have produced another, surely it would make more sense for me to try that one out and then report back with a new set of logs.... But I don't see it anywhere....
Last edited by Cholmondely on Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

OK, at the time of that Feb 2022 version there were some crash points in the code (which were also crashing the Windows port but maybe not as often as you describe), which were fixed later. Unfortunately, we do not have any Mac builds later than that for testing.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I've posted the first five sets of reports

The crash happened while priming equipment.

The AppleMac report is on top, followed by lots of space (a dozen carriage returns), and then the latest.log

Would it help if I changed the format in some way for the other crash reports?

1st crash: priming equipment
2nd crash: changed view
3rd crash: (forget what I did)
4th crash: left game
5th crash: while looking around
6th crash: slowing down
7th crash: while looking around
8th crash: ILS was about to turn ship towards station for docking (mislabeled as 7th but with correct description)
9th crash: saved game did not load (no AppleMac report)
10th crash: changed view
11th crash: just flying (did I change the view?)
12th crash: did nothing but had just changed the view
13th crash: had just arrived at the witchpoint beacon
14th crash: just as I docked
15th crash: just docking with a Rock Hermit

Edited to show progressive pasting and binning of sundry crash reports!
Edited to say "Finished!"
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

This was actually quite helpful. The program did not exactly crash here, it aborted because a condition that should be true at that time was found to not be true and the game bailed out. It was sound related and I am copying here the actual point in the code where it decided to go for a cup of tea, just in case someone with access to a Mac would be willing to look into it further.

Code: Select all

Assertion failed: (buffer == _lastBuffer), function -[OOSoundChannel getNextSoundBuffer], file /Users/getafix/Oolite-dev/oolite/src/Core/OOALSoundChannel.m, line 121.
The method where it fails in OOALSoundChannel.m is below. I have marked the bail-out point.

Code: Select all

- (void) getNextSoundBuffer
{
	if (!_bigSound)
	{
		// we've only loaded one buffer so far
		_bigSound = YES;
		_lastBuffer = _buffer;
		[self enqueueBuffer:_sound];
	}
	else
	{
		// _lastBuffer has something in it, so only queue up
		// another one if we've finished with that
		ALint processed = 0;
		OOAL(alGetSourcei(_source, AL_BUFFERS_PROCESSED, &processed));
		if (processed > 0) // slot free
		{
			// dequeue and delete lastBuffer
			ALuint buffer;
			OOAL(alSourceUnqueueBuffers(_source, 1, &buffer));
			assert(buffer == _lastBuffer);	// <-------------------------- this is line 121 where it aborts
			OOAL(alDeleteBuffers(1,&_lastBuffer));
			// shuffle along, and grab the next bit
			_lastBuffer = _buffer;
			[self enqueueBuffer:_sound];
		}
	}
}
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

another_commander wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:17 am
This was actually quite helpful.
Helpful? Me? I don't know what you've been drinking, but I obviously could do with some!

Next 4 sets also paste binned - see post above
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

another_commander wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:17 am
This was actually quite
Done!

And just to say that I've now had several hours playing the Strict/Vanilla Game on this "old" version of 1.91 (very painful when one's combat skills are as lousy as mine - and nowhere near as interesting as the cocktail versions). No crashes yet!

They should be up on Paste-bin for 6 months. But I will hopefully still have the originals...
Comments wanted:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

All of the crashes with the exception of #9 are abort signals following the failed assert statement at line 121 of OOALSoundChannel.m, as we've already seen above.

#9 appears to be a normal game exit, based on the log. Was that really a crash or is the posted log not the right one?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

another_commander wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:18 pm
All of the crashes with the exception of #9 are abort signals following the failed assert statement at line 121 of OOALSoundChannel.m, as we've already seen above.

#9 appears to be a normal game exit, based on the log. Was that really a crash or is the posted log not the right one?
Alas, dying brain cells, etc. I just don't remember. Maybe there was something else wrong - ie being unable to load the saved game.

Are there any other .oxp cocktail recipes you recommend for other possibly interesting results? I'm happy to give it a go, if that's the case.

PS: I trust that all is well over at your end of the planet! Here in the UK, our Tory party is doing a most magnificent job of keeping us all entertained... I do hope that you are managing to avoid such light relief over there in the cradle of democracy...
Comments wanted: