Issue with engine exhaust positioning - Spearhead Interceptor

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Issue with engine exhaust positioning - Spearhead Interceptor

Post by cbr »

I used wings3d 1.5
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Rendell001 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:48 am
Thats terrific, thank you for doing this, this gives me something to go on - I don't know how I got the initial values so wide of the mark.
Did you fix it?

Your original 2009 download for your .oxp is still here: http://app.box.net/shared/lgkdleesxn

The wiki page is here: Spearhead Interceptor Mk.I

Let us know if want a wiki account so that you can tweak it - or if you wish one of us to do so for you...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Rendell001
Average
Average

Post by Rendell001 »

Hi there, been a while I know...

The last two years have been pretty fraught and I confess that I got mixed up with the newer vesrion of Wings 3d. I'm practically starting from scratch even though I still have the orginal mesh / dat files.

I still would like to complete this properly but I'll need to go and watch some tutorials on YT or something - life tends to get in the way of projects like this.

Thanks for giving me the prod though!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Rendell001 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:54 pm
Hi there, been a while I know...

The last two years have been pretty fraught and I confess that I got mixed up with the newer vesrion of Wings 3d. I'm practically starting from scratch even though I still have the orginal mesh / dat files.

I still would like to complete this properly but I'll need to go and watch some tutorials on YT or something - life tends to get in the way of projects like this.

Thanks for giving me the prod though!
Is the newer version any good? Do you recommend it? Or is the older version better for those who already know how to use it?

And there are some helpers which Svengali created if you can work out how to use them:

See OXP howto model (see Tool: Library MatFinder at the bottom of the page)
And Library OXP (see Library_devtools.oxp at the bottom of the page)
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Rendell001
Average
Average

Post by Rendell001 »

So the main issue was that in the time period between when I'd originally designed the Spearhead and when I'd come back to it in 2020, Wings had undergone major updates which made the older Wings files incompatible. AFAIK, older files have to be converted in some way to get them load up in 1.5 or later...

Those helpers sound interesting though - can you post a link or something?
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Rendell001 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:48 pm
So the main issue was that in the time period between when I'd originally designed the Spearhead and when I'd come back to it in 2020, Wings had undergone major updates which made the older Wings files incompatible. AFAIK, older files have to be converted in some way to get them load up in 1.5 or later...

–But you do have your old .dat files, yes? Converted to .obj which wings imports, they are just as valuable as any (possibly outdated) wings file, –except if you've saved a scene of many different things together.

I also recently had to relearn Wings after 14 years away, and it's grunty in the beginning, but you can be all that you were before long. :D
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Rendell001 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:48 pm
More links:
1) Downloads
Matfinder
Devtools (look in Test OXP's)

2) New wiki page

Montana05 might know how to use them. Svengali, unfortunately, passed away a year ago.

Devtools:

Comments wanted:
Rendell001
Average
Average

Post by Rendell001 »

Okay I've installed the Matfinder library and the other library that goes with it - seems to work fine in the f4 page ingame.
I can scroll through the list of objects installed so that's a good start however the Spearhead interceptor is most likely not compatible in it's current form and is not on the list. Will need to know how to fix that before I can use this very handy tool to edit it.

Btw, many thanks to you all for pointing me in the right direction!