Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Capturing in video a beginnner's first journey on Oolite.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

chomwitt
Above Average
Above Average

Capturing in video a beginnner's first journey on Oolite.

Post by chomwitt »

I tried to make a videocapture of a beginners first trip from Lave to Leesti.
Unfortunately i lost the the part of jumping to Leestl due to technical reasons.
Anyway . The interesting i think is that my video captures my agony to find the Leesti station
constantly being masslocked by ... asteroids ??

Also my anxiety made me rush in without permission - clearence sth that cost me a small fine but
i think my landing wasnt so bad...

Nevertheless i managed to make some money!

https://peertube.linuxrocks.online/w/3r ... z5oTiJCvwi
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Capturing in video a beginnner's first journey on Oolite.

Post by Cholmondely »

Well done! Hope it was fun.

2 notes:

1) The mass-locking was not due to asteroids but to 2/3 police vessels in the bottom left of your scanner (the purple lollipops)
2) Making the sense of prices on the F8 screen without Market Observer loaded (or lots of experience) is like combat wearing a blindfold.

Further Note: Tutorial class 2 gives a gentle introduction to the scanner - or use the OoliteRS (reference sheets) which were downloaded onto your computer when you originally downloaded the game.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
chomwitt
Above Average
Above Average

Post by chomwitt »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:34 pm
1) The mass-locking was not due to asteroids but to 2/3 police vessels in the bottom left of your scanner (the purple lollipops)
Interesting and strange. An asteroid cant masslock me?
2) Making the sense of prices on the F8 screen without Market Observer loaded (or lots of experience) is like combat wearing a blindfold.
Thanks. Indeed usefull addon.
Further Note: Tutorial class 2 gives a gentle introduction to the scanner - or use the OoliteRS (reference sheets) which were downloaded onto your computer when you originally downloaded the game.
I've read the basic about scanner. But shouldn the compass firstly help me avoid masslocks?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

chomwitt wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:13 pm
Interesting and strange. An asteroid cant masslock me?
Nope! You can even dock with a rock hermit on torus drive (if there are no other ships about - and you're good enough).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
szaumix
Deadly
Deadly

Post by szaumix »

I love stuff like this. Vicariously experiencing other gamers' single player experience is something I'm a big fan of.

Seeing someone else play stock Oolite (close suns, elite style HUD etc et al) simultaneously gives me nostalgia, and makes me thank the black monks I finally bit the bullet and began to try non cosmetic mods! Man do I ever not miss close suns. But -- be warned -- mods open a never ending revolving door of more and more mods, then you're tweaking and balancing everything you can.
I've read the basic about scanner. But shouldn the compass firstly help me avoid masslocks?
Not at all within the compass' purview. If masslocks bother you, Redspear has some great mods to make masslocks less constant and annoying.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Capturing in video a beginner's first journey on Oolite.

Post by Cholmondely »

szaumix wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:07 am
I love stuff like this. Vicariously experiencing other gamers' single player experience is something I'm a big fan of.

Seeing someone else play stock Oolite (close suns, elite style HUD etc et al) simultaneously gives me nostalgia, and makes me thank the black monks I finally bit the bullet and began to try non cosmetic mods! Man do I ever not miss close suns. But -- be warned -- mods open a never ending revolving door of more and more mods, then you're tweaking and balancing everything you can.
Not at all within the compass' purview. If masslocks bother you, Redspear has some great mods to make masslocks less constant and annoying.
And [urlhttps://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Telescope]Telescope[/url] will show you the MassLock boundaries of ships/stations/planets etc.

Telescope's Masslock borders are colour-coordinated. Green for anchorages, red for offenders/thargoids, yellow for other powered craft, etc
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
chomwitt
Above Average
Above Average

Post by chomwitt »

I've posted a new complete version , more streamlined , fewer errors , added also keyboard input.
https://peertube.linuxrocks.online/w/nn ... mS7aUfZQsZ
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Impressive progress from first attempt! Using Nav beacon to build approach vector for docking, using starboard/port views for orientation - you improving your skills in right direction.
Right on, Commander!
chomwitt
Above Average
Above Average

Post by chomwitt »

stranger wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:24 pm
Impressive progress from first attempt! Using Nav beacon to build approach vector for docking, using starboard/port views for orientation - you improving your skills in right direction.
Right on, Commander!
Thanks!.
chomwitt
Above Average
Above Average

Post by chomwitt »

The Telescope's Masslock borders reminded me of Shallow Space's sphered zones. That zones were beautifully crafted and i think they managed to
convey a visualization of information like weapon ranges or radar. The had highlighted also the intersection of the sphere with the ship's level.

https://pixelfed.eu/i/web/post/440760425781793843
I found also a video(0:32-0:44) that depicts better how those sphered zones look in game dynamically.

From the developer's posts :
- We have the 3D improvements to the UI, spheres show ranges (Green - deep scan radius, Red - weapons radius, Yellow - status effects radius.)
Also i found that :
Back over to the tactical simulator we tried a system of shaded spheres to denote ranges, be it scan ranges, status effects or weapons and we found it to work extremely well. Of particular note is the highlighting of the intersection of the spheres with the battlegrid greatly aiding in depth perception.
Now that i think it .. those zones are usefull when you are out of them. They structure your space. But i guess overdoing it and you space would look like a level from bubble bubble.. :lol:
How much could you add structure to space.. could you also have a layer of space weather (solar wind , flares etc) or space debris density layers or a layre depicting the structure of gravitational field (1)- lagrance areas- etc.

When i think of true scale of space (in solar system terms) i like to revisit To Scale: The Solar System

ps: I hoped i helped by putting a few things on top of other things! (or i should say for this occasion... on bottom of other things.. ?)