(WIP) Hermitage

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: (WIP) Hermitage

Post by phkb »

Wiki doc has been updated to match latest version.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Following up on a couple of items I hadn't directly addressed.
zx_cb wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:15 pm
Also to note, cargo "selling" issue hasn`t fixed on my end, as well as ship price (or as I noted, any upgrade price from F3 menu) not being deducted from player`s account.
Hopefully the above is now fixed for you. With regard to the price not being deducted when purchasing upgrades, as mentioned previously, I've got some debug flags on at the moment to aid in testing. Once everything is bedded down and stable, I'll turn them off and then purchasing an upgrade will have a cost and installation time component.
zx_cb wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:15 pm
As a side note on miner difficulties to scoop moving splinters, maybe it`s worth force awarding them a Cargo Stopper equipment from GalCop Missions OXP. Should really help their efficiency.
It's certainly possible, but at the moment that's a player-only piece of kit. I'd need to code up some NPC AI to handle it. It might be easier to tweak the current scooping AI to make it a bit smarter.
zx_cb
Competent
Competent

Post by zx_cb »

phkb wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:37 am
Hopefully the above is now fixed for you.
Nnnnope. Still happens. Also, the ship`s listed sell price goes up with each swap, both for my main and one bought through the Hermitage.

Mission creation is still being shortened by pesky moth that fried itself on the contacts. Submitting it for completion at the main station returns:

[script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (BulletinBoardSystem 2.1): TypeError: item.data.holding is undefined

Hired miners got better, surviving more than the initial run outside the station and returning to their duty after docking, but are not being saved and disappearing after I reload the game. Defender pilots are still on the hired list after reload, but there`s no mention of them appearing in the log whatsoever, and when I undocked and shot my station none appeared to defend it.

This is logged after I dock my ship anywhere, not only to my RH:

[script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Hermitage_Refinery 0.8.2): TypeError: worldScripts.oreProcessor._splinter is undefined

Also worth mentioning that if the Ship Configuration OXP is present, recently introduced upgrade components do take up installed equipment weight, although just being stored in the hold and doing nothing for the ship itself.
zx_cb
Competent
Competent

Post by zx_cb »

There`s one particular *extremely frustrating* issue completely unrelated to the Hermitage that I`d like to discuss. Maybe you could point me in the right direction.

As much as I love the elaborate (and expensive) weapons variety provided by Laser Cannons OXP, they all break irreversibly. The four basic laser types are being added to the broken equipment list and can be repaired, either on docking or by repair bots\auto-repair system if present. But all the cannons (and Eco lasers, to that extent) - "Laser Failure Detected" - and poof! - they are just gone. Running an LMSS with secondary MilLaser is a workaround, but losing several hundred thousand Cr is hard. It happened that I was able to catch the event in the log:

[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (<unidentified script>): Error: Ship.awardEquipment: Invalid arguments ("EQ_LBOOST_CANNON_FWD") -- expected equipment type.

What can be done about it?
phkb

Post by phkb »

zx_cb wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:36 am
But all the cannons (and Eco lasers, to that extent) - "Laser Failure Detected" - and poof! - they are just gone
That's the effect of the Laser Booster OXP. Eco Lasers and Laser Cannons do not implement any form of Laser breakage.
zx_cb wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:36 am
[script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (<unidentified script>): Error: Ship.awardEquipment: Invalid arguments ("EQ_LBOOST_CANNON_FWD") -- expected equipment type.
And that error is because Laser Booster is not designed to work with OXP lasers. It will only work with the 4 core laser types. My recommendation is to drop that one, and you should be golden.
phkb

Post by phkb »

zx_cb wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:25 am
Nnnnope. Still happens.
What!? They told me they fixed it! It's not my fault!

Random Star Wars quote aside, that is really irritating. I made sure I tested that exact scenario, of having a ship with cargo, storing it and swapping for a ship with less cargo, and everything went fine. I have to suspect there's another OXP interaction in play here. Now that I have a full set of your OXPs in an environment, I'll do some more tests there and see what I can see.
Also worth mentioning that if the Ship Configuration OXP is present, recently introduced upgrade components do take up installed equipment weight, although just being stored in the hold and doing nothing for the ship itself.
I always run with ShipConfig installed, so it shouldn't be having an impact.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Quick one: what cargo, if any, did you have on your ship before swapping it for the one in the hangar?
zx_cb
Competent
Competent

Post by zx_cb »

phkb wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:16 pm
Quick one: what cargo, if any, did you have on your ship before swapping it for the one in the hangar?
Please have the savefile I mainly use for testing anything Hermitage, it is created right after arriving on one after confirming ownership transfer (under version 0.7.4)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lbskijjzw9hkk ... -save?dl=0

Aside from usuals, lots of per-kg defined goods, Gold, Platinum, Luxuries also (with SW Economy in play)
phkb wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:11 am
And that error is because Laser Booster is not designed to work with OXP lasers. It will only work with the 4 core laser types. My recommendation is to drop that one, and you should be golden.
Ask a pro, get a pro answer - love it. Easy fix on my end, never used it anyways.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Well, that was illuminating!

I spent a bit of time debugging what was happening when you swapped from your Serpent Class Cruiser to something else, and then swapped back. In doing so I’ve uncovered some bugs in other OXPs, so it’s been quite a fruitful expedition.

First, Ship Storage Helper was not handling any OXP-related commodities. It also was dropping the “Large Dish” item from Telescope Extender due to equipment conditions preventing it from being added. So, I’ve put in fixes for both those issues.

Next, I found that all the separated lasers were not getting added back to your ship, again because equipment conditions were preventing them from being applied. So I now have a patch for Separated Lasers to publish as well.

Even with those fixes, I still couldn’t track down where the change in credits was occurring. I eliminated all OXP related possibilities, which left somewhere in the core code. And after a while of tracing through the code, looking at what happens when your ship is replaced… I still don’t know what’s happening! I’m sure it’s in there somewhere, but even if I found it, I’m not sure it would be a bug per se. So in the end I just forced the player credits to stay the same after the transfer with another small patch to Ship Storage Helper.

As for the value displayed for each ship stored in the hangar, that’s trickier. When you get a ship delivered, the initial price shown is the original sale price of the ship. However, once you swap to that ship, and the swap back to your original, it will show a new calculated price, based on what equipment the ship has. And if your ship has gained or lost equipment, the price will change. The difficulty comes in how many OXPs might be adding default equipment to a ship that I didn’t have when I put the original ship values together, and each piece will alter the price a bit. Meaning what when you store the ship, the price will be different. The price should stabilise, though, so when you store it for the second time the price will be consistent from that point.

In summary, then, I’ve got two other OXPs to release to address this problem, which I’ll do shortly (we have a power outage at the moment so my dev machine is offline). Plus, wiki uploads are broken, so it might be a little while before they’re available in the download manager.
Last edited by phkb on Tue May 31, 2022 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
phkb

Post by phkb »

and when I undocked and shot my station none appeared to defend it.
This is by design. If you shoot at your own station, defender responses are disabled.
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, here are the new versions of the required OXPs: You'll need to manually remove Separated Lasers and Ship Storage Helper before your install these new versions. For Hermitage, extract the "Hermitage.0.8.3.oxp" folder to your addons folder, and remove the previous versions.

For Hermitage, the changes are:
  • Added overlay masks for screens that display ship models, to make sure foreground text is always visible.
  • Tweaked recharging requirements and reliability for Life Support systems.
  • Fixed integration error with Ore Processor.
  • Fixed issue with GalCop Certification missions causing JS error when completing.
  • Switched contracted miner role to be "scavenger".
  • Fixed issue with setting the commodity amount when booking a transport.
  • Added note on Fuel Reserve details page indicating when a transport has been scheduled.
  • Updated readme.txt file.
zx_cb
Competent
Competent

Post by zx_cb »

phkb wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:08 am
You'll need to manually remove Separated Lasers and Ship Storage Helper before your install these new versions. For Hermitage, extract the "Hermitage.0.8.3.oxp" folder to your addons folder, and remove the previous versions.
After minor tweak to match the new Ship Storage Helper name exactly to its original version that is referenced by Hermitage`s manifest, first thing I noticed is that "script.load.world.listAll" shows all Hermitage scripts loaded at 0.8.2 version. I double-checked that the version in AddOns folder is 0.8.3, also there is a "[dataCache.rebuild.pathsChanged]: Cache is stale (search paths have changed). Rebuilding from scratch." line in the log.

I assume that you just didn`t updated the corresponding text in .js files, since ship switching is now working as intended. Certification mission also completes, but after saving and reloading it fails to spawn the updated RH:

[checking]: creating hermitage_1_4.50_30_no -- rockhermit
[script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Hermitage_Main 0.8.2): TypeError: system.addShips("[" + hmkey + "]", 1, pos, 0) is null

Also, this happens when trying to reactivate something in Facilities Management menu:

[script.javaScript.exception.notDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (Hermitage_Management 0.8.2): ReferenceError: costs is not defined
phkb

Post by phkb »

Apologies. I thought I’d got everything nailed. Seems I still have some work to do!
zx_cb
Competent
Competent

Post by zx_cb »

phkb wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:39 am
Apologies. I thought I’d got everything nailed. Seems I still have some work to do!
No problem :) I`m happy to help and eventually you`ll have everything nailed. Looking forward for the update!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

So, with both v.0.82 & v.0.83 I've problems moving stuff into my ship from either the Hermitage market or the Hermitage storage (when docked at the Hermitage). I could do this with the older 0.7 versions, but not with these.

My modus operandi is to sell off the local stuff from the RH itself (computers/luxuries) in Raale for a good profit, buy furs etc - and a pulse laser - and then come back to Rexebe with rather more dosh and start kitting out the Hermitage. But I can't do this any longer.

On the other hand I could do nothing re transferring goods between RH market <-> storage from the main orbital when I began the game (which made good sense as the Hermitage was still locked up).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?