Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Galnet

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Galnet

Post by Cholmondely »

What is Galnet?

According to E:D wiki:
GalNet is a galactic data network and information aggregator corporation owned by the Pilots Federation. It has a near monopoly on market information, galactic news, and communication and data management systems for ships and stations. GalNet provides the latest information on important galactic news and Powerplay activity.
But from people who don't play E:D (or didn't at the time): -
phkb wrote: Fri May 13, 2016 11:09 pm
"Why didn't this news appear on GalNET? Surely it's important enough to warrant it."
my ammo crate wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:49 am
Jeremy did a thorough GalNet search and found the file he was looking for.
Captain Hesperus wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:41 pm
I was informed of this disturbing turn of events by Rus, while we were docked on Onrira High 3. I'd had to stay docked because I had to find someway of making up some of the money I'd lost so I could pay the mutinous rabble that passed for a crew on the ol' 'Dubious Profit'. This information he'd gained while on GalNet Hyperchat with one of his Lizard friends, who also happened to be a Bounty-hunter and was trying to get the dope on where I was bound next.
And from our wiki:
SPACE
Space: First for News Across Eight Galaxies

''Intergalactic Gossip''

Spectacular news items, not rarely half made up. Sensationalist articles and anti-authority opinions.
Objective or reliable are ''not'' keywords to use when searching for their GalNET-location.

Makes for great trumble food and comes in handy when your sanitary unit is clogged. Planet-dwellers love it though, and will expect to find it in a spacer's library, when they travel off-planet.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Galnet

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

For Oolite, GalNET existed as a fanfic plot device involving long range communications (never actually in game), waaaaaay before it became a thing in E:D.

Seems like Braben shamelessly pirated it from us. Yer welcome, Dave, you jerk. :roll:
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:45 pm
For Oolite, GalNET existed as a fanfic plot device involving long range communications (never actually in game), waaaaaay before it became a thing in E:D.

Seems like Braben pirated it from us.
But might it not have been in Frontier or FFE? Commander Frantic used to run a Galnet website back in the pre-Oolite days. Where did he get the name from?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I don't recall it from FE2, nor is there any mention of it (that I can see) in the FE2 literature (the printed stuff from the original game).

Ain't it strange how one thing leads to another on the internet. I just found myself reading through a 2013 thread on the ED forum.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:10 pm
But might it not have been in Frontier or FFE? Commander Frantic used to run a Galnet website back in the pre-Oolite days. Where did he get the name from?
Maybe in a very primitive form in FE2. Those ingame news channels got wind of major events days or even hours after the fact, and the player could keep up with the news from anywhere in the galaxy. Though there wasn't any handwavium for how that worked.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor