Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Documentation Included with First Versions of Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

user2357
Dangerous
Dangerous

Documentation Included with First Versions of Oolite

Post by user2357 »

Greetings, commanders

1. When, i.e. which version, and on which date, was documentation first included with the earliest Oolite download, please?

2. What did that documentation look like? Which files were included? Where might I obtain copies of those files, please?

In v1.90, in the Oolite/doc folder there are: AdviceForNewCommanders.pdf, OoliteReadMe.pdf, OoliteRS.pdf and README.TXT.

According to the timestamps on the files downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/oolite ... s/1.77.1a/, they have been there since 2013-09-22, at least, if not before, along with FAQ.TXT as well (but FAQ.TXT has since, apparently, been dropped from the Doc folder).

OoliteReadMe seems to be updated with each new version.

OoliteRS merely has 'Oolite created by Giles Williams, Jens Ayton and contributors © 2003-2013', which speaks about Oolite, but not about OoliteRS itself.

AdviceForNewCommanders has '© 2008' at the end, five years before v.1.77.1.

The v.1.77.1 CHANGELOG.TXT starts with 'Changes between Oolite 1.69 and 1.69b', but a Ctrl+F search of the document does not contain 'advice', so it is unclear which version first included AdviceForNewCommanders, also since CHANGELOG.TXT apparently contains no dates.

The earliest version of the 'Getting Started' page (http://oolite.org/starting/) was published approximately 2014 jul 16, sometime between 2014 jun 28 (https://web.archive.org/web/20140628033 ... olite.org/) and 2014 aug 4 (https://web.archive.org/web/20140804062 ... olite.org/).

The earliest record (https://web.archive.org/web/20060414174 ... _Main_Page) indicates that the Oolite Wiki was published 2006 apr 14, if not before.

At least, it seems as if it could not have been before 2004 jul 12 when Public Release 1.06 was first announced. (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48)

I have also been to the Old Version at https://sourceforge.net/projects/oolite-pc.berlios/, but those all seem to be installers, and I'd prefer not to have to install the game, and possibly mess up my current install, just to get to some files. Besides, the Old Version only goes back to v1.62, 2006-01-13, a year and a half after v1.06. What happened between these two dates?

I have also requested permission to be admitted to the Oolite Releases Google Drive, as advertised at the bottom of http://oolite.org/download/, but I'm still awaiting email approval of my request.

So... I'm looking for any and all information on the earliest publication dates and/or Oolite versions associated with:
AdviceForNewCommanders.pdf
OoliteReadMe.pdf
OoliteRS.pdf
README.TXT
FAQ.TXT
Getting Started
The Oolite Wiki
and any other, similar documentation that might have existed previously.

...and copies of those earliest documents would also be greatly appreciated, please.

Why am I always asking such difficult questions? ...or meta-rhetorical ones? :P

Thanks for your kind consideration and possible assistance in this regard.

Sincerely
user <o
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Documentation Included with First Versions of Oolite

Post by Cholmondely »

user2357 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:05 pm
I have also requested permission to be admitted to the Oolite Releases Google Drive, as advertised at the bottom of http://oolite.org/download/, but I'm still awaiting email approval of my request.
I find Google Drive a pain in the unmentionables - I can access the material there less than half the time. They seem to be going the way of Imageshack (spit!).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:30 pm
I find Google Drive a pain in the unmentionables - I can access the material there less than half the time.
Yes, either sign-in or create an account! Nasty! Is there an alternative for archived Oolites?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
user2357
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by user2357 »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:30 pm
I find Google Drive a pain in the unmentionables - I can access the material there less than half the time. They seem to be going the way of Imageshack (spit!).
Then I urgently suggest that whatever files might be stored there, be rescued ASAP, and hosted somewhere safer, and more easily accessible. Backing up is always a good idea. ...and redundancy in backups doubly so. :wink: ...please, anyone who is able... This is our history and our cultural heritage we're talking about here!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Would our Wiki be an alternative?
Cody

Post by Cody »

I'd prefer not to have to install the game, and possibly mess up my current install, just to get to some files.
That shouldn't be a problem - you can have multiple installs, all working happily without interfering with each other.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

At least, it seems as if it could not have been before 2004 jul 12 when Public Release 1.06 was first announced. (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48)

I have also been to the Old Version at https://sourceforge.net/projects/oolite-pc.berlios/, but those all seem to be installers, and I'd prefer not to have to install the game, and possibly mess up my current install, just to get to some files. Besides, the Old Version only goes back to v1.62, 2006-01-13, a year and a half after v1.06. What happened between these two dates?

So... I'm looking for any and all information on the earliest publication dates and/or Oolite versions associated with:
AdviceForNewCommanders.pdf
OoliteReadMe.pdf
OoliteRS.pdf
README.TXT
FAQ.TXT
Getting Started
The Oolite Wiki
and any other, similar documentation that might have existed previously.

...and copies of those earliest documents would also be greatly appreciated, please.
I wasn't there at the alpha and beta beginning but since around 1.08 in the late summer 04 I remember it as there were handy little DropUpgrade patches once or twice every week (a really great time!) until the milestone v1.30, I just can't remember the extent of included documentation.

I *feel* that Darkbee created the RS around November 04. which was for a while an extra download at Oosat, and he kept upgraded until v1.51. Sadly it has gone missing from what is left of Oosat.

Another thing that ought to be nicely archived and not left to livejournal mercy is Giles' dev log documenting his steps from April 04–Sept 06.
Cody wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:43 pm
To be sure!
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Looking back through my old file archive, I have the sources for versions 1.0b to 1.30, the earliest version (1.0b) had a simple readme.rtfd file with the key controls and a short development history.

I'll put the 1.0b source up here: http://www.aegidian.org/oolite_beta_1.0_src.zip
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
user2357
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by user2357 »

Cody wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:43 pm
Commander Cody, although Mr. Gimlet's advice for New Commanders exists on the wiki, it does not answer my question of on which date and with which version of the simulator it was first included. Although I've been through most of the wiki, I do not know if other documentation included with the simulator software is available on the wiki. If it is, I doubt, though, whether it would, like Mr. Gimlet's Advice, also not indicate it inclusion date and version history. I would greatly appreciate being corrected, if such information is available on the wiki, please. Thanks.
user2357
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by user2357 »

Cody wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:31 pm
I'd prefer not to have to install the game, and possibly mess up my current install, just to get to some files.
That shouldn't be a problem - you can have multiple installs, all working happily without interfering with each other.
Thanks. That's a relief to know. :D Will try it as a last resort.
user2357
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by user2357 »

Old Murgh wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:49 pm
I wasn't there at the alpha and beta beginning but since around 1.08 in the late summer 04 I remember it as there were handy little DropUpgrade patches once or twice every week (a really great time!) until the milestone v1.30, I just can't remember the extent of included documentation.

I *feel* that Darkbee created the RS around November 04. which was for a while an extra download at Oosat, and he kept upgraded until v1.51. Sadly it has gone missing from what is left of Oosat.

Another thing that ought to be nicely archived and not left to livejournal mercy is Giles' dev log documenting his steps from April 04–Sept 06.
Thanks, Old Murgh. Good to hear from someone who was there close to the start. :D

On my 1.90 RS, in the bottom, right-hand corner, it says, "Reference Sheet by KZ9999". Would "KZ9999" be an alias for Darkbee? Perhaps I should follow up, and try to establish contact with KZ9999 and/or Darkbee here on the BB. :)

Giles' dev notes are ... WOW! 8) History! Identity! This is who we are! :D

How do we go about backing up and preserving those notes? I had a sitecrawler program many yonks ago, around about that very same time, that could download any number of specified pages/"sub-url-addresses" from a website. Do such software still exist? Would something like that work on livejournal? Guess I'll have to do some research. I'd appreciate any participation and contributions from the floor as well. :)
user2357
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by user2357 »

aegidian wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:28 am
Looking back through my old file archive, I have the sources for versions 1.0b to 1.30, the earliest version (1.0b) had a simple readme.rtfd file with the key controls and a short development history.

I'll put the 1.0b source up here: http://www.aegidian.org/oolite_beta_1.0_src.zip
Thank you, kindly, sir. Much appreciated. :D :D

Edit: I've just downloaded it, and looked at ReadMe.rtfd/TXT.rtf, and ... it is beautiful. :') I'll keep on working through the folders with great enjoyment. Thanks, again, Mr. Williams. :D :D
Cody

Post by Cody »

user2357 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:21 am
Perhaps I should follow up, and try to establish contact with KZ9999 and/or Darkbee here on the BB.
Be aware that sending a PM to someone who has "moved on" no longer generates an email notification.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Good to see Sir Giles again with a timely appearance and excellent records. 8)
On my 1.90 RS, in the bottom, right-hand corner, it says, "Reference Sheet by KZ9999". Would "KZ9999" be an alias for Darkbee? Perhaps I should follow up, and try to establish contact with KZ9999 and/or Darkbee here on the BB. :)

Giles' dev notes are ... WOW! 8) History! Identity! This is who we are! :D

How do we go about backing up and preserving those notes? I had a sitecrawler program many yonks ago, around about that very same time, that could download any number of specified pages/"sub-url-addresses" from a website. Do such software still exist? Would something like that work on livejournal? Guess I'll have to do some research. I'd appreciate any participation and contributions from the floor as well. :)
Yes, the notes are a fascinating read. Had the BB been intact it would have shown even more clearly how he interacted with us early groupies with fixes and running with new ideas.

I don't know of the smart and efficient way of grabbing such text, I'd be very interested to see the clever solution, rather than slowly by hand.

KZ9999 wasn't around then but I feel certain a different individual than Darkbee.
Cody wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:15 am
Perhaps I should follow up, and try to establish contact with KZ9999 and/or Darkbee here on the BB.
Be aware that sending a PM to someone who has "moved on" no longer generates an email notification.
True, but there's a small chance a quote from an old post can prompt an email. Worth a try..
Darkbee wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:07 pm
El Viejo wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
legal narcotics trading can bring buckets of credits per ton.

'Legal narcotics trading'... tsk, tsk, what is the Ooniverse coming to.

It's people like you that give contrabandistas a bad name!

errr... wait... what! :?
Greetings Darkbee! Apologies for awakening you, you wouldn't have any old copies of your original Oolite RS around?
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

As a first I'd try the Internet Archive and their Wayback machine at https://web.archive.org/web/*/oolite.org

So here you can see how oolite.org looked like end of 2008: https://web.archive.org/web/20081218034 ... olite.org/
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite