[UPDATE RELEASE] Xeptatl's Sword OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [UPDATE RELEASE] Xeptatl's Sword OXP

Post by spara »

Yup. The monitor station was the one the update got stuck on. I wanted to replace it, but could not find a suitable substitute. Retexturing also did not look good enough. The station is a low tech, one man surveillance station, if some-one wants to create one. Otherwise the models are "good enough". At least up to my standards :D

Oh and by the way. That is the original Oolite rock hermit. More or less.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Otherwise the models are "good enough". At least up to my standards
surely!

I see some texture similarities with the katic hermit from Coyote's oxp,
here a quick ingame swap with the monitor box station texture

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

cbr wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:47 pm
I see some texture similarities with the katic hermit from Coyote's oxp
You do?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I tried that at the time, but both me and Smivs felt the new hermit is too high tech. I remember removing all the pipes and everything, but it was still too 'good'. The best station to be used as a substitute in my opinion would have been the jaguar station, but that rock was a bit too big. Oh my. Looks like something needs to be done :D I have a pretty clear vision of what the statoin should be like, so I'll see of I can find something suitable.

Still, if someone fancies making models, the station needed should be low tech, one man surveillance station. Hole in a rock type of thing.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Made a quick check and yes, the mission kicks in on gal5. The mission takes the player around the eight though.

I changed the version to 3.0 to avoid confusion, the link remains the same. Should it be uploaded to the wiki, it's about 20 MBs? But please note, this is not a final finished version. It's pretty much the original experience with fixes galore to make this masterpiece work with a modern version of Oolite (1.81->).

It should be playable throughout, but that's not guaranteed :D. I did play through the mission in 2015 and back then it was playable from start to finish.

This version goes back to 2015 and the development was stuck on updating the old monitor station (which was just the original Oolite hermit with some added box in front). And then RL got the better of both of us and the project was stalled.

Here it is anyway. It should be functional, but consider it beta. Anyone interested in fixing it or polishing it or whatever, please do that. It's an awesome mission oxp with some really cool twists.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

spara wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:33 pm
Made a quick check and yes, the mission kicks in on gal5. The mission takes the player around the eight though.

I changed the version to 3.0 to avoid confusion, the link remains the same. Should it be uploaded to the wiki, it's about 20 MBs? But please note, this is not a final finished version. It's pretty much the original experience with fixes galore to make this masterpiece work with a modern version of Oolite (1.81->).

It should be playable throughout, but that's not guaranteed :D. I did play through the mission in 2015 and back then it was playable from start to finish.

This version goes back to 2015 and the development was stuck on updating the old monitor station (which was just the original Oolite hermit with some added box in front). And then RL got the better of both of us and the project was stalled.

Here it is anyway. It should be functional, but consider it beta. Anyone interested in fixing it or polishing it or whatever, please do that. It's an awesome mission oxp with some really cool twists.
Thank you for taking the trouble. I'd often wondered about this one (own website disappeared, no copies available, etc.)

What is our policy with the Expansions Manager? (Realising of course, that given the liberal nature of Oolite, not everybody will stick to it 100%?)

We now have 3 oxp lists, so I'd be tempted to put it on the others and wait until a finished version comes out. Liners & a_c's specular maps for the vaniila game ships both weigh in at more than 100Mb, so 20Mb should not be an issue.

As an utter red herring, O courageous custodian of ancient artefacts, do you have any of PAGroove's earlier versions of Famous Planets (the ones with music & textures)? I found his older version of Liners on Cdr Cheyd's website, but have none of his other earlier work.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I mean it would probably be best to put the oxp the the wiki instead of my box. I see no problem in putting it to the expansion manager. It should work just fine even though a couple of the models are very outdated. I'm just not sure if it's wise for me to put it to the manager since I'm not that active anymore. At least for the moment.

Sorry Cholmondely, my archives are quite depleted now. No version of good old Famous Planets has survived on computer.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

spara wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:02 pm
so I'll see of I can find something suitable.
Still, if someone fancies making models, the station needed should be low tech, one man surveillance station. Hole in a rock type of thing.

Hole in a rock?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

That would make a great mini Rock Hermit, possibly set as a pirate hideout in an Asteroid group.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:47 pm

Hole in a rock?
Looks great! I've not tried the mission, but presumably a surveillance station should be near invisible, so to speak. Would a more natural/asteroidal-looking dock make more sense (no reds/white, but rather just chiselled out rock)? And I presume that Xeptatl's Sword wants something small on the asteroid front. Or maybe something big but with a small dock? Any idea as to the biggest-size ship that can dock in there? Maybe an adder/shuttle/transporter/worm should be the biggest? Hopefully, Spara might give some feedback on this one.

Reference: Redspear's chart showing his Jane's downsizing of the core ships
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

This dock 192width x 64h x 247deep...

For this modeller, white/beige means it does not have a diffuse map attached ( but the standard colors ).
The red face means it is selected, otherwise also would have a tint of white/beige.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

cbr wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:16 pm
This dock 192width x 64h x 247deep...

For this modeller, white/beige means it does not have a diffuse map attached ( but the standard colors ).
The red face means it is selected, otherwise also would have a tint of white/beige.
Alas, we dumb pilots have no idea what a "diffuse map" might be! I get your point about the "red" back wall.

In addition to Switeck's comment, I do think that your asteroid as it stands looks absolutely perfect for this:

DocWild's 2010 Mining OXP
Comments wanted:
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Hole in a rock?
Nice. Excellent I would say. For the dock, nothing fancy. Maybe just the rock texture or something dark metallic. The dock should not stand out in any way.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

spara wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:47 am

Hole in a rock?
Nice. Excellent I would say. For the dock, nothing fancy. Maybe just the rock texture or something dark metallic. The dock should not stand out in any way.
cbr: if you can manage this for Spara then that will be two major oxp projects that you will have personally helped rescue from oblivion!
Comments wanted:
Cody

Post by Cody »

I'd be interested to see what the broken station looks like (broken, as in missing a chunk by design.)
It's so long ago, I can only remember it was fun/tricky to dock at.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!