Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ship Rotation

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Ship Rotation

Post by hiran »

When switching views while rotating the ship I always stumble over the effect that the view changes, then I notice the ship rotation to come to a standstill and pickup after that again. This looks most strange to me when I barrel roll to evade some pirates but need to switch my front and back views.

Is this just a visual effect? Is my ship contantly barrel rolling and it looks as odd as I descibe?
Or is the ship for a moment stopping the rotation, then going the other direction as it looks?

Any case: Why so?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Ship Rotation

Post by Cholmondely »

I'm not sure that I understand this. What are you doing, what else are you up to, and just where does it go squiffy?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:13 pm
I'm not sure that I understand this. What are you doing, what else are you up to, and just where does it go squiffy?
Just fly straight. Start rotating your ship (the longitudinal axis) and keep rotating. While doing so, switch view from front to aft. You will notice the ship is rotating, then stops rotating, then rotates the other way...
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

hiran wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:16 pm
Just fly straight. Start rotating your ship (the longitudinal axis) and keep rotating. While doing so, switch view from front to aft. You will notice the ship is rotating, then stops rotating, then rotates the other way...
Not here it doesn't. I suspect an oxp may be causing that.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cody wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:22 pm
hiran wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:16 pm
Not here it doesn't. I suspect an oxp may be causing that.
I just went to a vanilla game and you are right: it does not happen there.
In my 'real' game I have about 90 addons. Will try to figure out which one introduces the behaviour...
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

Isn't there an oxp (or maybe an in-game option) that reverses the controls when you look aft?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

JD wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:18 pm
Isn't there an oxp (or maybe an in-game option) that reverses the controls when you look aft?
Two.
- Reverse Y Control (Norby)
- Reverse control with inertia (Norby & cag)

Or the old favourite from the 1980's: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=129474#p129474
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody

Post by Cody »

The other option is practice!
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:49 pm
We added inertia for keyboard players. If you're using a stick/gamepad, you'll want to turn it off using "Config for AddOns" on the F4 screen (you'll need to install Lib_Config if you don't see it)

The idea is to have your controls operate the same way in each of the four internal views. When you switch to your aft view while continuing to roll right, that control continues to roll right with respect to that view, ie. roll the ship left. Without the inertia, assuming you're using key controls, the immediate reversal of roll would toss you across the cabin unless your center of mass lies exactly on the roll axis.
"Better to be thought a fool, boy, than to open your trap and remove all doubt." - Grandma [over time, just "Shut your trap... fool"]
"The only stupid questions are the ones you fail to ask." - Dad
How do I...? Nevermind.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:49 pm
JD wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:18 pm
Two.
- Reverse Y Control (Norby)

Or the old favourite from the 1980's: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=129474#p129474
Indeed I have this OXP oolite.oxp.Norby.ReverseControl.oxz which resolves to http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/ReverseControl.
This explains, and now I can think of whether I like it or not.

Thank you for shedding light on that mystery. :-)
Cody

Post by Cody »

cag wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:14 am
The idea is to have your controls operate the same way in each of the four internal views. When you switch to your aft view while continuing to roll right, that control continues to roll right with respect to that view, ie. roll the ship left. Without the inertia, assuming you're using key controls, the immediate reversal of roll would toss you across the cabin unless your center of mass lies exactly on the roll axis.
As I was cruising back to my home system last night, this kept nagging away at me. Somehow, it just doesn't fit.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cody wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:15 pm
cag wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:14 am
As I was cruising back to my home system last night, this kept nagging away at me. Somehow, it just doesn't fit.
For years I got used to operating the same controls regardless whether my car is if forward or backward mode.
It is the same for boats with outboard engine.

But what is strange: When you need to break down to a standstill.
In cars you slam the brakes and focus on steering. If the car goes to the left, you turn the steering wheel right.
With outboard engines, you put the engine in reverse mode and focus on steering. If the boat goes to the left, you steer left.

So do not confuse driving the car and the boat otherwise you will end up spinning. And yet no-one tried to come up with auto-reverse controls for boating...