YouTube playthroughs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: YouTube playthroughs

Post by Cody »

If you were going to use precision mode, the button needs to be close to your thumb, for instant switching.
Otherwise, it's worth setting your joystick axes up properly. See Dizzy's guide here.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Yeah I tested out precision mode long ago and I couldn't quite get the hang of it. Having to switch back and forth just made my brain fry a little. If I really need precision I could change my joystick's curves externally - I may even try that at some point, just to see what it feels like.

if only I could get the throttle device to work...
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Cody wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:36 am
The vanilla game has a lot going for it. Add a hud of your choice, Povray Planets, Glowroids, Torus Stations, and ZygoSky - even better!
I think if I were to do a mid-level modded game, it would be those plus whatever OXP lets me see the galactic average differentials. Because boy oh boy do I miss that.
Cody

Post by Cody »

arquebus wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:16 am
If I really need precision I could change my joystick's curves externally...
You can do it internally whilst flying:
... press the <pause> key, followed by F2, then choose "Game Options", and finally, "Joystick Configuration". After each change, press the <pause> key again to un-pause Oolite and test out your changes. Repeat as required.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Add a hud of your choice, Povray Planets, Glowroids, Torus Stations, and ZygoSky...
I forgot to include a sun distance modifier (set to whatever feels right).
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:17 am
The vanilla game has a lot going for it. Add a hud of your choice, Povray Planets, Glowroids, Torus Stations, and ZygoSky - even better!
I think if I were to do a mid-level modded game, it would be those plus whatever OXP lets me see the galactic average differentials. Because boy oh boy do I miss that.
Spara's Market Observer is the magic OXP in this regard.

Phkb's XenonUI gives the tips on the side of the page giving the option possibilities and the decoding for planet icons on the F6 pages.

BGS (BackGroundSet) gives the better docking/jump sequences.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:25 pm

Phkb's XenonUI gives the tips on the side of the page giving the option possibilities and the decoding for planet icons on the F6 pages.

I'm having to strongly resist the urge to put those into my vanilla game.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:29 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:25 pm

I'm having to strongly resist the urge to put those into my vanilla game.
Better off not to - I think the way you are doing it makes a lot of sense. Your playthroughs are in effect commenting on modern Oolite. What you are now doing gives you the ability to understand in your bones the massive, massive difference all those .oxp's make.

And if you look carefully at the F3 list, you will understand the basic equipment much better. Which gives a much better understanding when the oxp's come in with their hundred variations on the theme.

By the way, when you eventually do get a laser, do get an ECM too. Pirates will often keep a last missile for their final comment when losing, and ECM can scupper that! And don't forget the EEU which gives your shields a massive edge in combat (especially useful with more than one enemy).
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:36 pm
By the way, when you eventually do get a laser, do get an ECM too. Pirates will often keep a last missile for their final comment when losing, and ECM can scupper that!
I appreciate your confidence that I will remember to use it!
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

And if you look carefully at the F3 list, you will understand the basic equipment much better. Which gives a much better understanding when the oxp's come in with their hundred variations on the theme.
If there's one thing Oolite needs, it's a way to sort or filter the outfitter. I imagine it's non-trivial to have some kind of categorization (given that category information is, presumably, not a thing in existing OXPs), but that would be even better. Nested menus...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:42 pm
If there's one thing Oolite needs, it's a way to sort or filter the outfitter. I imagine it's non-trivial to have some kind of categorization (given that category information is, presumably, not a thing in existing OXPs), but that would be even better. Nested menus...
I feel that we would first have to categorise all the equipment - all 316 pieces. This is a non-trivial issue.
Comments wanted:
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:14 pm
I feel that we would first have to categorise all the equipment - all 316 pieces. This is a non-trivial issue.
Yes, that is the issue. But I would be willing to do it! I'd go through all 316 and categorize them and tag them and make a spreadsheet and everything.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:34 am
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:14 pm
Yes, that is the issue. But I would be willing to do it! I'd go through all 316 and categorize them and tag them and make a spreadsheet and everything.
Lengthy excursus on this subject is now to be found here
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

I've explained your Jalapeño pepper on your Touch Portal thread (look under the big picture of the Coluber HUD)

The blue sphere which blew you up last week and did not blow you up tonight.

This is used for two different things.

Growing blue sphere: Quirium Cascade Mine
The reason that the Tionisla Orbital Graveyard does not exist in the era of Elite Dangerous
And the chap who actually performed this act of egregious vandalism, Drew Wagar, has now spent the past half decade complaining about the fact that TOGY is not in E:D!

Static Blue Sphere
: this is what the entrance to the witchspace tunnel looks like from the outside. If you have a Wormhole Scanner you can then target it and find out where it is going to - and then jump in yourself if the urge strikes you...
Comments wanted:
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Yeah I knew the red bottom on the pepper was full cargo, I just couldn't remember what the top part represented!

I can definitely recognize the two different blue spheres, because I *have* seen the expanding blue one, I think. The other more recent one stayed the same size, so that was a witchspace tunnel entrance.