Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Griff »

I didn't realise the 'organic thargoids' were missing too :)
i've given them a quick check in Oolite v1.90 and they seem OK

Organic Thargoids 2009
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jAyYL0 ... sp=sharing
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Excellent. For future reference and to anyone interested here are Griff's old all-in-one files from pre-oxz era. https://app.box.com/s/raw152biz9vom7i3c535bhqeiiq0subn These are the last ones we used before they were oxzified. I still remember :D. There was one resource oxp and a choice between replace or addition shipdata oxp. Dates inside the files are 2012/2014, so these are probably newer than the ones from Griff's archives. Is it still worth extracting the special thargoids from these?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:19 pm
I've no objections at all to any of my oxp files getting re-released or edited or anything like that...
Please check your PMs.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

spara wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:46 am
Excellent. For future reference and to anyone interested here are Griff's old all-in-one files from pre-oxz era. https://app.box.com/s/raw152biz9vom7i3c535bhqeiiq0subn These are the last ones we used before they were oxzified. I still remember :D. There was one resource oxp and a choice between replace or addition shipdata oxp. Dates inside the files are 2012/2014, so these are probably newer than the ones from Griff's archives. Is it still worth extracting the special thargoids from these?
Awesome archiving work Spara! :)
I think once the Thargoids started having gold & silver versions they didn't change again until i lost them in the oxz versions so they may not be worth the work recovering as i'm sure they'll be the same as the ones from the 2009 oxp version above

i managed to find some "all in one bundles" Cmd. Cheyd was very kindly hosting at deephorizonindustries.com
they all seem to contain the silver & gold thargois
griff_shipset_all_in_1_v1.1.zip
griff_shipset_all_in_1_v1.2.zip
griff_shipset_all_in_1_v1.2.1.zip
griff_shipset_all_in_1_v1.2.2.zip
griff_shipset_all_in_1_v1.2.21.zip

i don't think there's a lot of difference in the ships, some new asteroid models seem to appear in the later few releases as well as a gecko and a missile, maybe these were just texture changes maybe

the change log from the last version 1.2.21 just lists these fixes, (lo, two versions got put out on the 19th june!), i think after this the oxp starts getting split into the version spara has above

Code: Select all

Changelog:
01 August 2011 (v1.2.21) - Removed "griff_demoscreen_alloy" from demoships.plist 
				 Fixed fer-de-lance player shader error
19 June 2011 (v1.2.2) - Removed AI's folder as these are now in the alloy&wreckage oxp, fixed missing 'forward_weapon' setting on player flyable cobra IIII
19 June 2011 (v1.2.1) - Moved alloys & wreckage out of shipdata-overides.plist to allow default Oolite models to spawn again in-game
14 June 2011 (v1.2) - Removed the Debris & wreckage - they were causing compatability problems with other OXP's and were possibly the culprit responsible for frame rate issues some Commanders were suffering
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Are Griff_Organic_Thargoids_2009.oxp and griff_thargoids_normalmapped_2009.oxp replacements or additions? There are shipdata-overrides in both of their config folders that negate the roles of Tharglet and Thargoid ships. This leads me to believe that they are replacements but the recent discussion in this thread seems to indicate that they are additions, hence my confusion. If they are replacements would the removal of the shipdata-overrides turn them into additions? Having them as additions would be the preferred outcome.

In the shipdata file for griff_thargoids_normalmapped_2009.oxp the depreciated shininess setting is still in use. Much improvement could be made by updating this to the newer gloss setting. For older OXPs created before the gloss setting was in use a bit of experimentation on my part has found that gloss = 0.75 works fairly well in punching things up to a desirable level. Your mileage may vary.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the bugfixes Nite Owl :) these Thargoids should definitely play alongside any others!
I've updated the oxps to remove the "shipdata-overrides plist" and add in the gloss setting instead of shininess, the organic thargoids were missing 'materials' settings completely so i've added some in too, i'm not too clued up on game balancing setting and stuff like that, i tend to just prefer to work on ship models and textures so if there's any further problems with the oxps especially shipdata-plist stuff just let me know and i'll make the changes, if anyone thinks they bug free enough or worth turning into an oxz then please do :)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Griff wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:00 pm
I've updated the oxps to remove the "shipdata-overrides plist" and add in the gloss setting instead of shininess, ...
Just writing some blurb for Norby's Ambience Collection. It seems a tad dated to me.

Is the "Griff Station Bundle" now superseded by the new Stations in Oolite 1.88/90 with all the new graphics capabilities?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:07 pm
Is the "Griff Station Bundle" now superseded by the new Stations in Oolite 1.88/90 with all the new graphics capabilities?
Probably - but I've kinda lost track, what with gloss (which doesn't work) getting thrown into the mix.
At least I've got the Silverbacks again, which is what I was after!
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Posed a few questions over in the screenshot thread as far as gloss and a few other lighting items are concerned. The answers to those questions were kindly provided by another_commander IN THIS POST. The earlier posts in this thread with regards to gloss are NOT correct given that almost all of Griff's work does include shaders and their definitions. My best guess as to why definitions under materials and definitions under shaders would BOTH be included in a shipdata.plist is for those people that, even in this more modern era of computer capabilities, have Oolite set to the lowest graphic setting which turns off shaders and their definitions.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Cody

Post by Cody »

spara wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:46 am
Is it still worth extracting the special thargoids from these?
I've lost track again - did those variants make it into an additional oxz?
What about the Blackdog plus two - did that make the oxz cut?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I'd like to add one or two pictures for a wiki page for "Respray for Griffs" OXP by Capt Murphy.

As usual, I know nothing about this sort of thing...

Are any of these any good?

From Dertien's Griff repaint Variety

Or are they misleading?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

That's a different oxp i think Cholmondely, Dertien's awesome re-texturing of the ship models from scratch, the Capt. Murphy oxp kept the textures and effects map from the griff oxp and presented the players ship on screen with various options to re colour the texture maps in real time! And then save it out so the changes were kept in game!! It was pure coding voodoo!!! I'm sure i have it and a compatible version of the shipset somewhere on my pc, i'll have a dig about and post up some screenshots
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

got some screenies of the Capt, Murphy respray OXP - not sure why the intro screen is the only one displaying as a clickable thumbnail, they all should be doing that :?

Screenshots taken with Oolite-1.77.1.exe and the following OXP's
Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.25.oxp
Respray_for_Griffs_0.4_2012.06.24.oxp
Ship_Storage_Helper_0.20_2012.06.24.oxp
Griff_Shipset_Replace_v1.34.oxp

Intro Screen

Random Doolux code screen - tapping Enter applies a randomised colour scheme to the ship

Adjust paint RGB values Directly - Main Page
Allows the player to adjust either the paint colour or the decal placement for the ship

Adjusting the paint...
Tapping the Enter key adds or subtracts the current 'Adjustment Precision' value from whichever RGB component is selected (OOlite's shaders store the colour using 3 floating point numbers representing the pixels Red, Green and Blue value in the range 0.0-1.0. eg 0.0,0.0,0.0 is black, 1.0,1.0,1.0 is pure white, 1.0,0.0,0.0 is pure red

Decal Adjustment

Oxp as it appears in Ship Outfitting
Imagepic upload edit
Last edited by Griff on Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:35 pm
It was pure coding voodoo!!!
You're not wrong!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Griff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:54 pm
got some screenies of the Capt, Murphy respray OXP
Great! I'll get onto it.
Comments wanted: