Copying OXPs from one install to another

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Copying OXPs from one install to another

Post by arquebus »

I have Oolite on my PC and on my Mac. For some reason, the Mac version downloads OXPs about 3x faster than the Windows version. If I then copy the OXPs from the Mac to my PC, they work just as expected, but they don't show up as "installed" when I go to the list.

Is there an additional config file I need to move over as well? My goal is to keep both versions at parity so that I can share saves between them.

(This was working fine doing in the hard way - downloading twice, waiting 3x longer for the PC downloads - until something borked my Windows copy and all the OXPs disappeared. I'd like to be able to reinstall the game and just copy my OXPs over from the Mac.)
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Copying OXPs from one install to another

Post by Cholmondely »

arquebus wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:21 am
I have Oolite on my PC and on my Mac. For some reason, the Mac version downloads OXPs about 3x faster than the Windows version. If I then copy the OXPs from the Mac to my PC, they work just as expected, but they don't show up as "installed" when I go to the list.

Is there an additional config file I need to move over as well? My goal is to keep both versions at parity so that I can share saves between them.

(This was working fine doing in the hard way - downloading twice, waiting 3x longer for the PC downloads - until something borked my Windows copy and all the OXPs disappeared. I'd like to be able to reinstall the game and just copy my OXPs over from the Mac.)
One presumes that there are similar problems copying oxp's from any computer to any other computer: the copied oxp's would not show up as installed on the second Expansions Manager...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:27 am
One presumes that there are similar problems copying oxp's from any computer to any other computer: the copied oxp's would not show up as installed on the second Expansions Manager...
I would assume so, just wasn't sure where else to put the question, as I'm only going in the one direction. And to be clear, they don't show up as installed, but they definitely are installed, as the game is clearly modified based on what's been copied over. It's just that the installed expansions list doesn't show anything.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Ok, so it does look like Oolite recognizes that the OXPs are installed, it just sees them as "manually" installed (which, technically, they are). It would be nice if I could cheat the game into thinking that they're not manually installed, but I can live with it this way.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

On Windows, Oolite looks for OXP's in two locations: C:\Oolite\AddOns, and C:\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\ManagedAddOns. If you copy the OXP's into C:\Oolite\AddOns, they will be treated as manually installed. If you copy OXZ files (and note, only OXZ files) to C:\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\ManagedAddOns, the OXZ should show up as if it was downloaded and installed via the Expansion Manager.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

phkb wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:52 pm
... the OXZ should show up as if it was downloaded and installed via the Expansion Manager.
Yep, that it does!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

phkb wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:52 pm
On Windows, Oolite looks for OXP's in two locations: C:\Oolite\AddOns, and C:\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\ManagedAddOns. If you copy the OXP's into C:\Oolite\AddOns, they will be treated as manually installed. If you copy OXZ files (and note, only OXZ files) to C:\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\ManagedAddOns, the OXZ should show up as if it was downloaded and installed via the Expansion Manager.
Ok, so...weirdly, I don't have that second directory.

The only folder I have inside E:\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUStep\Library is Caches.

Do I need to install at least one OXZ from the Expansion Manager in order to get the right folder?
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

arquebus wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:53 am
Do I need to install at least one OXZ from the Expansion Manager in order to get the right folder?
That would work. Or you could manually create it. Either way.