Random outing of oxp's

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Random outing of oxp's

Post by Cholmondely »

I loaded HIMSN some time ago on the dreaded AppleMac. It worked.

But!

Perusing my latest latest.log I found this:

Code: Select all

01:08:09.672 [plist.parse.failed] OOPropertyListFromData (OOPListParsing.m:72): Failed to parse /Users/accountname/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/Himsn_alpha_test.oxz/Config/characters.plist as a property list.
Unexpected character { at line 1
I've done absolutely nothing to it. Zippo. But all of a sudden it is giving Oolite a major attack of constipation.

Any ideas?

Could there be a fiendish Frontier/E:D virus which has singled HIMSN out for attack?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Random outing of oxp's

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:17 am
Could there be a fiendish Frontier/E:D virus which has singled HIMSN out for attack?
Probably not only HIMSN, I am still trying to figure out what your Mac dislikes at SIRF. In the meanwhile, I removed tones of white space (just in case) and checked every comma at least 5 times.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Another thing to check is the double quotes. A " character is different to both “ and ”, and Macs tend to be picky about which ones are in play. (Hint: they only like ")
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

phkb wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:58 pm
Another thing to check is the double quotes. A " character is different to both “ and ”, and Macs tend to be picky about which ones are in play. (Hint: they only like ")
Thank you for that phkb, checked and no errors found. On another thought, how likely would it be that a Mac disagrees with a constellation like that:

"name" = "Gecko 'Dragon Class'";
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

montana05 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:51 pm
phkb wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:58 pm
Thank you for that phkb, checked and no errors found. On another thought, how likely would it be that a Mac disagrees with a constellation like that:

"name" = "Gecko 'Dragon Class'";
I have a similar effect, yet it is on Linux and with savegames (which are in XML PList format). The error looks like this:

Code: Select all

[plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse /home/hiran/oolite-saves/Jaeger.oolite-save as a property list.
Parse failed at line 1 (char 2) - unexpected character (wanted '>')
Yet when I use XML parsers and validated the grammar using XSD validation I just cannot find anything wrong in there, especially not in the location mentioned in the error message.

Thus I suspect there may be some flaw in Oolite's plist parser (unlikely) or the error location report (more likely). After all I had vi-ed the file before the error occurred but no backup to easily see what I had done... (Yes, I know I had it coming...)
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

hiran wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:59 pm
Thus I suspect there may be some flaw in Oolite's plist parser (unlikely) or the error location report (more likely). After all I had vi-ed the file before the error occurred but no backup to easily see what I had done... (Yes, I know I had it coming...)
Macs seem to always report line 1, even if the error is somewhere else. I could check and log anything under window, but I don't have a Mac available, so I only could check known problems and guess for additional ones.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

montana05 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:24 pm
hiran wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:59 pm
Macs seem to always report line 1, even if the error is somewhere else. I could check and log anything under window, but I don't have a Mac available, so I only could check known problems and guess for additional ones.
So you confirm the error location is wrong - at least for Macs.

For me the problem is on Linux. How about I make my savegame available for you? Then you could check how the Windows version reacts to it...
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

hiran wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:28 pm

For me the problem is on Linux. How about I make my savegame available for you? Then you could check how the Windows version reacts to it...
I tweaked your savegame a bit and now it's working, at least under windows: https://app.box.com/s/ecjt236xjsn1wfhd2bt7by1yoge96ov9.

The error was really in line 1, just compare both files and you will easily spot it. :wink:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

montana05 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:37 am
hiran wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:28 pm

I tweaked your savegame a bit and now it's working, at least under windows: https://app.box.com/s/ecjt236xjsn1wfhd2bt7by1yoge96ov9.

The error was really in line 1, just compare both files and you will easily spot it. :wink:
What? The problem was just the missing header line? Such an obvious thing (that should be optional anyway), and I am shooting with parsers, validators and whatnot...
:oops:

Thanks a lot for taking that look. :D