Fer de Lance Lightspeeder

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Re: Fer de Lance Lightspeeder

Post by UK_Eliter »

Redspear,

Sorry about that link. I've fixed it in the post above.

I look forward to trying out your ship!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

UK_Eliter wrote:
Sorry about that link. I've fixed it in the post above.

I look forward to trying out your ship!
Much better.

montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Great looking ship, a shame I missed it all the time. However, 48,500 Cr seems a bit low except you really want it to be a give away. :wink: Another small mismatch, max missiles (shipdata) 2, shipyard 3 missiles.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tsoj »

montana05 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:38 am
However, 48,500 Cr seems a bit low except you really want it to be a give away.
The Balanced Ship Prices OXP I wrote for 1.91+ can solve issues like these. For example, the FdL Lightspeeder would now cost 207,425¢, mostly because of its high recharge rate and speed.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Great looking ship, a shame I missed it all the time. However, 48,500 Cr seems a bit low except you really want it to be a give away. :wink: Another small mismatch, max missiles (shipdata) 2, shipyard 3 missiles.

Looks like I didn't finish editing the shipyard file (probably when I took a break from struggling with getting the texture to stick to the model).

Good news is that they're both easy fixes :D Coming soon...

tsoj wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:24 pm
The Balanced Ship Prices OXP I wrote for 1.91+ can solve issues like these. For example, the FdL Lightspeeder would now cost 207,425¢, mostly because of its high recharge rate and speed.
The issue here (at least to my mind) is a simple editing omission.

I think I mentioned in your thread that I've previously made a similar calculator myself. While it may not match your results, it does highlight the issues around combining shidata properies and then extracting a representative value from them. Besides which, I need a suitable value for anyone not using your oxp :D
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:20 pm

Looks like I didn't finish editing the shipyard file (probably when I took a break from struggling with getting the texture to stick to the model).

tsoj wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:24 pm
The issue here (at least to my mind) is a simple editing omission.

I think I mentioned in your thread that I've previously made a similar calculator myself. While it may not match your results, it does highlight the issues around combining shidata properies and then extracting a representative value from them. Besides which, I need a suitable value for anyone not using your oxp :D
But a Fer-de-lance will surely be one of the few exceptions to the rule anyway? ... ZPG's now famous well designed and understated luxurious interior is the hallmark of this ship, and it's what keeps the ship selling year after year - even though the ship itself is decidedly average (or below average) in many other areas... But buyers of the Fer-de-Lance are not interested in low end economy ships. The Fer-de-Lance buyer is looking at a different kind of value - engineering with no expense spared (inspect the equipment bays of a Fer-de-Lance and note how thoughtfully it has been laid out, and how the factory has gone to extra attention to de-burr all the parts leaving no sharp edges behind which catch your clothing) combined with a cabin that has been tastefully and luxuriously designed. They are not after showy 'bling' like the ratted out Cobra Mk.3 with chrome exhaust covers and 'Type R' stickers slapped on the back. Enter the bridge of the Fer-de-Lance and notice how well laid out the controls are on the Walnut Dashboard - specially devised by the leading designers at Aegidian Industries. Dock a Fer-de-Lance and notice how the fuel scoop retraction system remains powered up for a few minutes in case you forgot to close it: do that in a Cobra and you'll have to go through a complete power-on sequence to get the scoop shut again. To the buyer of a Fer-de-Lance, the value is not being the fastest or the showiest; the value is a ship that's not seemingly built to cause the captain annoyance. A Fer-de-Lance owner is not a chav; a Fer-de-Lance owner has class.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:35 pm
...how the factory has gone to extra attention to de-burr all the parts leaving no sharp edges behind ...
Rounded corners? How very Jobsian!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:38 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:35 pm
...how the factory has gone to extra attention to de-burr all the parts leaving no sharp edges behind ...
Rounded corners? How very Jobsian!
If I'm stuck in a spaceship cockpit and am getting bashed about by the unspeakables, I'll go for rounded corners, Jobsian or not. I don't need any more bruises than I already have, thank you! If I had your combat skills, it might be different.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

There might be more, I didn't look into the OXP just stumbled over the mentioned while retrieving information for the wiki page. Btw, would you like to continue with the page or should I finish it ? I added a (very) small storyline, hopefully to your liking.

EDIT: Just finished the page, please have a look :D
Last edited by montana05 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:45 pm
If I had your combat skills, it might be different.
My combat skills have packed their bags and gone! It's evasion all the way now!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:06 am

There might be more, I didn't look into the OXP just stumbled over the mentioned while retrieving information for the wiki page. Btw, would you like to continue with the page or should I finish it ? I added a (very) small storyline, hopefully to your liking.

Thank you. Looks good - at least you know what you are doing and what you are writing about! I could find very little information in Hiran's gleanings and was girding my loins to pester you anyway! Where did you manage to find all the missing information? No price, no dimensions, no yaw rating etc! And your screen shot is very good!

I noticed that the stats are also missing from the Sothis TC page, if you can tell me where to look (and which stats need, shall we say, "interpretation" from the raw .plist form!).
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:18 am
Thank you. Looks good - at least you know what you are doing and what you are writing about! I could find very little information in Hiran's gleanings and was girding my loins to pester you anyway! Where did you manage to find all the missing information? No price, no dimensions, no yaw rating etc! And your screen shot is very good!

I noticed that the stats are also missing from the Sothis TC page, if you can tell me where to look (and which stats need, shall we say, "interpretation" from the raw .plist form!).
All required information could be found in shipdata.plist and shipyard.plist, the exception are the dimensions which I usually get from earlier mentioned Gallery OXP. My pictures are from there as well, using a snipping tool and a graphics program for backgrounds and/or improvements. The Lightspeeder might be a bit overdone. :roll:

The price is always in the shipyard.plist, the yaw is most of the time not defined, in this case it is similar with the roll.

While all details are available in basically 2 files you should be a bit careful. The wiki should reflect the player ship and often the NPC's and the player version are different.

Energy banks are max_energy / 64, I usually round up or down to half a bank.

Mounts could be found with "weapon_facings". 0 = no mounts, 1 only fore, 3 fore & rear, 15 all sides. Once again, shipyard (player) is the one should be on wiki.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much with this short intro. :) Btw since I was already with FdL I created the SS version from CaptSolo as well.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:47 am

All required information could be found in shipdata.plist and shipyard.plist, the exception are the dimensions which I usually get from earlier mentioned Gallery OXP. My pictures are from there as well, using a snipping tool and a graphics program for backgrounds and/or improvements. The Lightspeeder might be a bit overdone. :roll:

The price is always in the shipyard.plist, the yaw is most of the time not defined, in this case it is similar with the roll.

While all details are available in basically 2 files you should be a bit careful. The wiki should reflect the player ship and often the NPC's and the player version are different.

Mounts could be found with "weapon_facings". 0 = no mounts, 1 only fore, 3 fore & rear, 15 all sides. Once again, shipyard (player) is the one should be on wiki.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much with this short intro. :) Btw since I was already with FdL I created the SS version from CaptSolo as well.
I saw!

Between Hiran, you & I, we will have the most updated wiki since it was created, I think! Marvellous!
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:06 am
montana05 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:47 am

I saw!

Between Hiran, you & I, we will have the most updated wiki since it was created, I think! Marvellous!

And... thank you for the details.
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

montana05 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:06 am
I didn't look into the OXP just stumbled over the mentioned while retrieving information for the wiki page. Btw, would you like to continue with the page or should I finish it ? I added a (very) small storyline, hopefully to your liking.

Never. Looked. Better. :shock:
Did I really turn the shaders up that high or have you tweaked it?

I was ready to hate your story (no offence, I'm just fussy :lol: ) but it's perfectly respectful and restrained relative to what I was trying to do. Nice job. :)

I did have a story in mind for if I ever extended this (re)design methodology to a shipset but it took me so long to fix the texture to any (one of my) ship models that some of my earlier designs would now be major rescue operations (sadly).

eg. Krait

and arguably its successor, the Mamba

I just wasn't modelling with a good understanding of textures (or particularly of models :P ) back then.

Re finishing the page, I think it might be best if I do it as I'll need to check the specs and pricing at the very least.

Thanks again.

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:07 am
And well done to the lot of you!
I admire your industry and vision.