Sideway movement.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Sideway movement.

Post by Cholmondely »

chomwitt wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:59 am
One thing that i forgot to say is that i am lefthanded . I think that should be noted.
Done!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

hiran wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:19 pm
So many nice OXPs out there, but their use - through the limitation - is really annoying. I need to prime my equipment before leaving the station. For defense reasons one is already the barrel roll. For mobility I want the fuel generator on the other key. Out in space I bump into a derelict ship, and although I purchased the towbar I cannot activate it.
Have a look through the TINKERER'S WORKSHOP thread. Yes - it is many pages long but is well worth the time spent. In that thread you will find code that allows many OXPs/OXZs to be "turned on" every time you launch from a station or make a jump. What you would normally spend time doing with the Shift+N, N, and B keys upon each launch or jump can be automated. My Special Equipment list is at least 20 items long and none of them need activation upon each launch or jump. In order to do this you would have to be comfortable with editing plists and JavaScripts. Give it a shot as it is well worth the time and effort if you want to automate this process.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
chomwitt
Above Average
Above Average

Post by chomwitt »

Here is the later changes to my ergodox Oolite layout.
- I used the ergodox option to config a button to send Shift + Key in one press
- I moved closer to my movement keys the left and rigth view (it helps my a lot while approaching a statio from a safe angle)
- I created a small group of map related 'green' keys ( not all buttons can have led color in ergodox).
- i reorganized a little the battle related keys but since i am totaly unexperienced in that are propaply would be changed alot .
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

chomwitt wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:41 am
- I moved closer to my movement keys the left and right view (it helps my a lot while approaching a station from a safe angle)
- I created a small group of map related 'green' keys (not all buttons can have led color in ergodox).
- I reorganized a little the battle related keys but since I am totally unexperienced in that they probably would be changed a lot .
Done!

Green Keys - movement and/or map-related
Red Keys - battle-related

(I found I needed to separate out the Missile Keys for StreamDeck - there are too many of them and they are too complex!). I hardly ever use them, so I keep on forgetting what they do.

My tactics are to stock up on defensive equipment (Barrel Roll OXP, Fuel Injectors, ECM, Extra Energy Unit, Energy Grid before I start adding the offensive stuff). Oh - and I use Laser Arrangement to move my laser to the aft position as I'm always running away!

How do you define your blue & yellow keys?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

- I moved closer to my movement keys the left and rigth view (it helps my a lot while approaching a statio from a safe angle)
- I created a small group of map related 'green' keys ( not all buttons can have led color in ergodox).
- i reorganized a little the battle related keys but since i am totaly unexperienced in that are propaply would be changed alot .
I like the way you documented it. No tables with key codes or make/break codes. Something that users really can understand, print and apply.
Despite the fact that you would need a human style keyboard for that.

Is it possible to get some similar documentation for the default keyboard mapping into the reference sheet?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:37 pm
I like the way you documented it. No tables with key codes or make/break codes. Something that users really can understand, print and apply.
Despite the fact that you would need a human style keyboard for that.

Is it possible to get some similar documentation for the default keyboard mapping into the reference sheet?
I think that Phkb keeps the RS updated. It's not easy to do. I had a stab at a rejig (different categories for vanilla standard, vanilla optional & optional optional (ie OXP)). It proved much tougher than I expected and I ended up giving up. What do you think of Gimi's pdf (also needing an update)?
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:56 am
chomwitt wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:57 am
Yep. Here is an image of my ergodox layout..
Its my first try of course but i think the green movement buttons are the least possible
to change in future changes since i tested them more!.

As a newbie i cant try now OXPs or mod them but i'll have it in mind. Thanks.
Added to the http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Keyboard_Issues wiki page.

Are you happy with the addition to the page? Does it need tweaking?
Cool ! :D
I am glad if my layout is helpfull to anyone.
I will post any changes.
One thing that i forgot to say is that i am lefthanded . I think that should be noted.
Hope you and yours are all well (and surviving the joys of domestic incarceration)!

As regards this: any significant changes that should be posted on our wiki?
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cool ! :D
I am glad if my layout is helpful to anyone.
How goes it?
Comments wanted: