Changing Key Mappings?

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Changing Key Mappings?

Post by Cholmondely »

I wonder if that
Coyote wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:08 pm
I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!
chap could come up with a Spanish layout? Do you suppose it would be Spanish, Catalan, Basque or Latin-American?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:16 pm
I wonder if that
Coyote wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:08 pm
I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!
chap could come up with a Spanish layout? Do you suppose it would be Spanish, Catalan, Basque or Latin-American?
Hmmm, all these input locales (aka keyboard drivers) do not rearrange the keys - they just change the interpretation. Which means they tweak the translation from scan codes (make/break codes) to characters that applications usually work on.

But Oolite works on scan codes so the input locale does not matter. Having one picture per keyboard type is absolutely sufficient. Unless someone modifies that and then might come up with his own mapping.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:34 pm
I think I just now understood the overlay functionality. That picture is meant to be printed, cut, folded, glued and just placed onto the real keyboard!
Really nice idea! _lol_
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:06 pm
I think I just now understood the overlay functionality. That picture is meant to be printed, cut, folded, glued and just placed onto the real keyboard!
Really nice idea! _lol_
That's how it worked with the original Elite. The game for the BBC computer came with an overlay that fitted the keyboard.

See here for overlay: https://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Elite/b ... upTape.jpg - the white strip of card in the bottom right corner. It sat on top of the red function keys - see here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/BBC_Micro

Now you know!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

That's how it worked with the original Elite. The game for the BBC computer came with an overlay that fitted the keyboard.

See here for overlay: https://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Elite/b ... upTape.jpg - the white strip of card in the bottom right corner. It sat on top of the red function keys - see here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/BBC_Micro

Now you know!
I have seen such strips - even create some for myself for Paradox for Windows - way later than what you referring to.
The way that BBC micro is built it seems to be asking for strips to be placed on top of the function keys.

But these DIY key caps were really new to me. So easy to create, so easy to rearrange...