Recovering "Lost" OXPs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:37 pm
... the Great Deletion...
<chortles> I like it! The Great Deletion is, I believe, why Jens has a lower post count than one might expect.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Any idea where there's a link to this one?
spara wrote: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:00 pm
Buyable Map OXP ver 0.3.1 (28.8.2012)

Author: spara

_The_Story_

In the world of Oolite, everything comes with a price tag. When you start your game, you get a shining new Cobra mk III with a factory installed map-module. It's somewhat disappointing to notice that your map-module is a bit dated. All you've got is a map with the names of the systems and the current statuses of the "Old Worlds." All other information about the other systems is simply unknown.

You can explore the unknown systems and your map gradually updates itself or you can buy a new map module for the current galaxy with full information and replace the factory installed one. You can also buy short range update on main stations.

The bought-in map-module is a bit fragile, so it can be damaged. If that happens, you simply put back the old one and use it until you get the broken one fixed. The original module is indestructible.

_What_it_does_

This oxp hides information of unknown systems from the short range scanner screen and the system data screen. When you visit an unknown system, the new system is updated to the map. When you visit the main station of a system, you can buy an update that updates all nearby systems the map.

If you buy the galactic map equipment, you will get the whole galaxy of data, but your old map does not get updated. If your bought map get's damaged, your old map module is in use again.

You will need a different map for every galaxy.

_Word_of_warning_

This oxp alters the properties of systems when the player is in the short range scanner screen. The properties are restored in the other views. If another oxp reads system properties when they are altered, problems may occur.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Sorry - just found it (Searching seemed to yield no result!).

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12273 - [RE-RELEASE]Buyable map OXP
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody

Post by Cody »

I thought you meant the oxp, not the thread (which was easily found). Are you using the search plug-in?

The link to the oxp doesn't seem to work, btw.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:21 am
I thought you meant the oxp, not the thread (which was easily found). Are you using the search plug-in?

The link to the oxp doesn't seem to work, btw.
Failed to get anywhere with the plug-in, but I did bookmark the Yahoo search page, for what it's worth.

Neither of us will ever get anywhere downloading the oxp. - remember the fun we both had with with Asteroids 3D last month? We need Maik to prise it open for us.
Comments wanted:
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:15 pm
Neither of us will ever get anywhere downloading the oxp. - remember the fun we both had with with Asteroids 3D last month? We need Maik to prise it open for us.
:lol:
Does this link work for you? I copied it to my box account...
Cody

Post by Cody »

Yep, that works! Thanks, your wizardliness!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

maik wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:20 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:15 pm
:lol:
Does this link work for you? I copied it to my box account...
Thanking thee, O Maik of Might and Munificence!
Comments wanted:
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Cody wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:50 pm
Yep, that works! Thanks, your wizardliness!
Good. Here is the “magic” recipe: open your link on my phone, which directly opens it in the app. Copy the file to my box account. Create a link for sharing and post it. Done :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

I don't have a phone, nor an app (and I only have a free box account), so that magic won't work for me. <sobs>
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Cody wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:59 pm
I don't have a phone, nor an app (and I only have a free box account), so that magic won't work for me. <sobs>
So is my box account, so I wonder what it is that makes it react differently yo the original link :?:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

maik wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:20 am
Cody wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:59 pm
So is my box account, so I wonder what it is that makes it react differently to the original link :?:
At a guess, Cody and I came from a country whose Empire was amassed under the aegis of Mars. Lucky Austria, though, enjoyed the protection of Venus. We Brits are just too brash and the Box dislikes our vulgar approaches.

On a more serious note, rather than storing all this stuff for posterity in yet another Box box, could we not save it on the wiki in some way? It takes .oxz's. Why not tweak it to take oxp's too? Or does the zipping somehow transmogrify the ontological essentials?
Last edited by Cholmondely on Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:30 am
On a more serious note, rather than storing all this stuff for posterity in yet another Box box, could we not save it on the wiki in some way? It takes .oxz's. Why not tweak it to take oxp's too? Or does the zipping somehow make a difference?
Easy enough to make a oxz out of it, my first question would be: Is this package still functioning ?
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Bypassing Montana05's comment above (I'm not sure that I'm still functioning, never mind the package!),

two new additions to the list:

1) Cloud City.oxp by Dr Beeb for Zarece et al.: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5932

2) Seosu.oxp/Capisastra.oxp by dear old Selezen: see http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Capisastra_OXP on the wiki! Seosu is not mapped on Galaxy 4 - but maybe Selezen managed to include it in his .oxp!
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 pm
1) Cloud City.oxp by Dr Beeb for Zarece et al.: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5932
Never hear of that one before, thank you for that.
Cholmondely wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 pm
2) Seosu.oxp/Capisastra.oxp by dear old Selezen: see http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Capisastra_OXP on the wiki! Seosu is not mapped on Galaxy 4 - but maybe Selezen managed to include it in his .oxp!
This one I am aware of, I didn't touch it for a personal reason, I would probably completely re-model and re-texture all ships.

I have currently several OXP's in the queue for upload (updates and new ones) waiting that I finish Montanas Ressource Pack 01 next release. The code is almost done, but the testing will require some time.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.