SIRF - update Released

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: SIRF - update Released

Post by montana05 »

Nite Owl wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:52 am
montana05:

Check your Private Messages. A download link for my "Station Only" version of S.I.R.F. is there - v2.60no. Looking forward to what you think of it. Thank You in advance for your time and effort.
Thank you, just downloaded the file. It will take me 2 - 3 days before I got enough time to have a close look at it but expect me to come back to you asap.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Another option, of course, is to publish the tweaking formula on the wiki!

I don't know if you saw Aegidian's post here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16790
''Post by aegidian » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:19 am''

I hesitate to post this, but I've been reminded recently of the value of candour, and I therefore ought to.

I have come to the conclusion I do not like the concept of OXZs.

Oolite's chief advantage has been that it is easy to mod and edit, ideally with the simplest of text editors and graphics editors. OXZs seem only to get in the way of doing that. I like the expansion manager, and appreciate the ease it allows new users to download mods, but in my opinion the OXZ format (in hiding information from users) hinders those new users who want to peek and poke behind the curtain - and they are our most important new users.

So my answer to the question posed in the Opinion Poll is a reluctant, but forthright, NO, OXZs are a mistep and should probably be quietly deprecated.

Sorry.

The expansion manager however, is a positive step, but should be rewritten to handle OXP folder hierarchies instead of OXZs, and check, mark and note when a managed folder has been changed (by consulting a checksum or hash) and warning the user in the manager that the OXP and its dependents may no longer work as intended, with the option of downloading and re-installing to fix any issue.
I think his concerns are valid - and can be partially mitigated by publishing tweaks on the wiki for the various listed OXPs there (something I've been slowly trying to do).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:48 am
Another option, of course, is to publish the tweaking formula on the wiki!

I don't know if you saw Aegidian's post here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16790

I think his concerns are valid - and can be partially mitigated by publishing tweaks on the wiki for the various listed OXPs there (something I've been slowly trying to do).
A more recent note here:
another_commander wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:51 pm
The UI code is so convoluted and complicated that I wouldn't even dream of changing the current Manager's layout at this time.
Personally, I wouldn't consider renaming a file and extracting it as a big challenge, it should take less than 5 minutes. Regarding posting tweaks on the wiki: For sure it offers some benefits but keeping a valid overview could prove difficult. Imagine an official version with a number of tweaks posted on the wiki, some maybe tweaks of tweaks. It would take time and probably will be confusing for a newcomer to figure out all of them.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Regarding this oxp/oxz

Perhaps a option could be to:

1] Update the 'old' oxp/oxz to current coregame status in an useable as-is version, let's call that sirf-2.80

2] make an addon called sirf-2.80-montana which includes the new effects, new/changed ships

The oxz/oxp will then be useable in a way remembered by players.
The oxz/oxp-montana addon includes the new effects/new ships/new weapons, kinda like a harder version of the original
for players wanted to have more of a challenge ( prepared to be lasered )

And I experienced the montanacised oxp's/oxz's to be a bit more powerfull than their precursors ( observation not critique/criticism )
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

cbr wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:40 am
montanacised oxp's
Thanks for making me smile on a wired day :lol:
cbr wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:40 am
And I experienced the montanacised oxp's/oxz's to be a bit more powerfull than their precursors ( observation not critique/criticism )
Ok, back to the topic. Of course, you are correct, since I am using multiply lasers (actually implemented with V 1.83) the ships are becoming more powerful. The fact that most ships OXP's available were created before this version and therefore usually only have a single mount doesn't mean that it couldn't be changed.

Regarding SIRF OXP: After a first glimpse in Night Owls tweak I would call it a compact version, perfect for players who like to stick close to the core-game. I plan to proofread it and then publish it as an alternative variant. Information will be on BB and on wiki and in future every player is free to decide which package fits better his expections. :wink:
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

montana05 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:51 pm
I could tweak a second version, lets call it SIRF Redux for now. Replacing the Geckos with core-ships is easily done, the same for the variable station tech levels. Probably Night Owls version got most included already. Are there any other modifications you would like to see ?

Regarding the explanation in the expansion manager, I usually use it as a (very) short description while the wiki page offers all details.
Well, since you're looking at slicing and dicing the OXZ anyway, you'll be re-writing that. But what had narked me was the way the "oneliner" description gave me one set of expectations, but the OXP delivered some very different ones.
As a sideline, I'm still looking at the question of why the "open wiki page in browser" option doesn't work on Linux. It seems complex, but to be honest I never knew such an option existed. I'd only go to RTFwiki in the event of discovering a problem, and I'd rely on the "oneliner" to choose what to install (or delete).
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

RockDoctor wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:24 pm
montana05 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:51 pm
I could tweak a second version, lets call it SIRF Redux for now. Replacing the Geckos with core-ships is easily done, the same for the variable station tech levels. Probably Night Owls version got most included already. Are there any other modifications you would like to see ?

Regarding the explanation in the expansion manager, I usually use it as a (very) short description while the wiki page offers all details.
Well, since you're looking at slicing and dicing the OXZ anyway, you'll be re-writing that. But what had narked me was the way the "oneliner" description gave me one set of expectations, but the OXP delivered some very different ones.
Point taken, I will try to improve the descriptions or at least include a remark for the wiki page. Additionally, I decided that with the next release the killer-Geckos will be outsourced to a ship OXP. What will remain are only the defenders so no attacks from assassins or pirates anymore.

Nite Owls compact version still will probably be the best choice for you, a plain station without any bells and whistles like extra cargo, escape pods, ...
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

montana05 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:46 pm
or at least include a remark for the wiki page.
The link to the Wiki page is in the existing description (manifest file?). There is an ongoing issue with the Linux (and Mac? ) versions that the link isn't put onto the system clipboard when you press {some key} - I'll just check that in a moment . But that is a mainline program problem, not an OXP-ers issue. (As I understand it.)

{some key} is the "i" key - and in Windows it pastes the wiki page link onto the clipboard, but not on the Linux version.
--
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

This is Nite Owls tweak: SIRF Compact. I did some minor edits, but mainly it's his creation. Please have a look and if you approve I will upload it to the manager as well.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Thanks!

Extracted straight to Addons :)

Hmm the 'habitat' rings are rotating a bit fast for my taste but "rotational_velocity" seems not to have any influence.
Removing all variables with rotational names doesn't stop them rotating, how and why are they still rotating et al?

Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

No idea about the rotational stuff. Hopefully montana05 will know. This is why maintaining such things is not for me.

Not sure if the version posted above will be the first official release version or not. Set up a download with a newer version for monatana05's approval. It has some very minor changes and a large bit of .plist formatting for the vast amount of subentites that the S.I.R.F. has. Either formatting works so it is just a matter of what one is use to and how one learned to do it in the first place. Once montana05 gets a chance to look it over an official release of the S.I.R.F. Compact version should be forthcoming.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

cbr wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:26 pm
Hmm the 'habitat' rings are rotating a bit fast for my taste but "rotational_velocity" seems not to have any influence.
Removing all variables with rotational names doesn't stop them rotating, how and why are they still rotating et al?
I just had a look at Nite Owls latest update, it includes some small adjustments to fit better with the original. I will check the rotation, basically I got a pretty good idea why the subs are still rotating, but I need to do a test-run first. :wink:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

V 1.01 is now available at the same link as before. Additional to the prior mentioned changes the rotation of the subs is now slowed down.

Regarding rotation:
If you remove "rotational_velocity" the subs will stop rotating themselves, however, with "rotating" = yes; and "station_roll" set the entire station will still continue to spin.
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

montana05 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:43 am
This is Nite Owls tweak: SIRF Compact. I did some minor edits, but mainly it's his creation. Please have a look and if you approve I will upload it to the manager as well.
I shall park my Miner and hit the OXP Mangler.
--
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Just having a look around the resource pack http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Montan ... ce_Pack_01 ; I'm liking the idea.

The "narcotics" cargo pods are of course, a joke. A way of attracting GalCop's attention while the real smuggling happens in pods labelled for "Radioactives" and "Biohazard" (and possibly "Holy Artefacts"), while the "narcotics" pods contain Oxo cubes, oregano and rabbit shit. Or am I betraying too much of my thoroughly spent youth? (He says, sipping a late night cup of vege Oxo instead of caffeine solution.)

Multiple types of escape pods - fairly obviously, given the variety of spacecraft. Don''t tell me - let me guess - picking up a poor dude in a spacesuit should be done at low speed, not pedal to the metal, rubber-side down. Otherwise ... you're going to need a screen wash next time you dock?
Download meter clicking away. Ill be back in a bit.
--