Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

JD
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by JD »

RockDoctor wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:01 am
If that's not Grendel, it's his Mommy ... whose name escapes me. Actually, is she ever actually given a name?
Wikipedia wrote:
Grendel's mother, who is never given a name in the text,
Thought not.

I go for Grendel.

And that's correct. One MBP for the RockDoctor.
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

ffutures wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:06 am
Would "to wound the autumnal city" be an acceptable answer for no. 1? Or would you prefer the book title?
Interesting.

I was expecting the title, but I'm intrigued to see how this plays out, so I'll allow it.
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

JD wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:50 am
I'm intrigued to see how this plays out, so I'll allow it.
The feeling I'd got is that - RBQ-like - we'd individually chip away at the clues given, until someone gets enough strands together to either hang themselves, or pull the edifice into the harbour. Is that how you envision it?
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

ffutures wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:06 am
Would "to wound the autumnal city" be an acceptable answer for no. 1? Or would you prefer the book title?
Interesting.

I was expecting the title, but I'm intrigued to see how this plays out, so I'll allow it.
Okay, then answer no. 6 (and the title answer for no. 1) is Dahlgren by Samuel R. Delaney.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Is 3 then Babel 17?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

ffutures wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:59 pm
Okay, then answer no. 6 (and the title answer for no. 1) is Dahlgren by Samuel R. Delaney.
Yep, Dahlgren. So that's the 1/6 key question answered.
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:03 pm
Is 3 then Babel 17?
Well, number 2 actually, but close enough. Have a meaningless bonus point.
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

RockDoctor wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:15 pm
I'm intrigued to see how this plays out, so I'll allow it.
The feeling I'd got is that - RBQ-like - we'd individually chip away at the clues given, until someone gets enough strands together to either hang themselves, or pull the edifice into the harbour. Is that how you envision it?
I hadn't really considered the "chipping away" angle. I just had in mind that some questions would have to be answered before others could be tackled. As questions 1 & 6 are really the same question, with one answer, I was intrigued when ffutures demonstrated that he knew the answer while not fully revealing it. It effectively left question 1 answered but not question 6, a scenario I hadn't anticipated.

Still, just 3 & 4 to go now (or just 4 for the win).
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, number 3 is is the rock group Heaven 17 - there's at least one other with 17 in the name, but this is the right one for various reasons.
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

ffutures wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:02 pm
OK, number 3 is is the rock group Heaven 17 - there's at least one other with 17 in the name, but this is the right one for various reasons.
Correct! One MBP to ffutures, and one question to go.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

JD wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:36 am
ffutures wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:02 pm
Correct! One MBP to ffutures, and one question to go.
OK...

For no. 4, the film is A Clockwork Orange. In the music shop scene in ACO there's a moment when Alex is standing next to a top ten list. Heaven 17 is near the middle of the chart, Cyclops is near the bottom. While Cyclops has nothing to do with Dahlgren, the word Grendel keeps running through the protagonist's mind in the book.

https://youtu.be/C6rm9Kn8QeI

It isn't incredibly clear, but the chart is just about readable near the end of the clip.
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

ffutures wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:22 pm

OK...

For no. 4, the film is A Clockwork Orange.
It is indeed. Horrorshow quizzing!

One further link (according to Wikipedia, I don't remember this from the book) is that when the protagonist thinks he hears the name "Grendel Grendel Grendel Grendel" over and over again, he later realises that he'd actually misheard "...gren Dahlgren Dahlgren Dahlgren Dahl..."

Anyway, the poisoned chelloveck goes to ffutures.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

1/6 was easy, there aren't that many books like that.
Which gives you either Babel 17 or The Ballad of Beta-2 as the answer to number 2, and Babel 17 is a fairly important work while The Ballad of Beta-2 is pretty minor, and there are WAY too many groups with a 2 in the name.
I could only find two groups with 17 in the name for 3; one was a big South Korean boy band that didn't seem to have much connection to SF (and used the word rather than the number), the other was Heaven 17, whose Wikipedia entry mentioned A Clockwork Orange.
That made number 4 easy, and a clip showing the rock group names was easy enough to find, which confirmed that it was what was wanted.
Simple, really...

Okay. Let's try something different, which I hope will be fairly easy.

Here are six words. FIVE are acronyms, all of them from SF. Give me the source and meaning of the acronym. So far as I know each is unique to one SF source, although it may also be used outside SF, but if you can find another and prove it you'll get the point and a Meaningless Bonus Point. The SIXTH is a ringer, tell me why.

1: FROOMB
2: TMA-1
3: HYDRA
4: UNIT (this might be a trick question)
5: ELE
6: UNEXA

Only one answer per post, please, and please allow a little time between posts for others to have a go!
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

#2 - Tycho Magnetic Anomaly - 1 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Used in both the book and the movie to describe the Monolith found in the Tycho crater on the moon. If memory serves the Monolith orbiting Jupiter was referred to as TMA-2. Cannot recall if either was ever actually referred to as "The Monolith" or "A Monolith" in either the book or the movie? No matter what you may call it, it is still full of stars.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

4 - UNIT - is I assume the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce, from Doctor Who.