Oolite Wikipedia - some issues

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Oolite Wikipedia - some issues

Post by maik »

Just acknowledging your messages, hope to find time today to even look at it. I will keep you posted here.
Reval
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: At home in the Xexedi Cluster, driving an FE Asp II, Laenina's Flux.

Post by Reval »

Many thanks, maik - much appreciated by all.
Dor 'call me Grocer' Reval (a Xexedian Laver) was always considered a little backward.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

maik wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:32 am
Just acknowledging your messages, hope to find time today to even look at it. I will keep you posted here.
Thank you for sorting out the mess! I finally stuck up Montana's picture of Quirium Crystal - it must have taken me 20-odd tries!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Help!

How do I get the number to fit on the page? I put in some commas at the end, but they have no effect!

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Lore
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Try entering <br /> at the points you wish to insert a line break.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

another_commander wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:02 am
Try entering <br /> at the points you wish to insert a line break.
Alas, far too many of them - and it will look ragged. Is there nothing easier?
Comments wanted:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Hmmmm... write the number in scientific format e.g. 1.5454E128 or something?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:55 am
How do I get the number to fit on the page? I put in some commas at the end, but they have no effect!
Put this code at the start of the line:

Code: Select all

<span style="overflow-wrap: break-word;">
And this at the end:

Code: Select all

</span>
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Help!

We need some new icons for Oolite versions 1.89, 1.90 & 1.91. (It probably does no harm to add in 1.92 etc as well.)

This is for the Template:IconOXP page on the wiki: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Template:IconOXP which then gets used by other OXPs...

While I do realise that we can't upload files at the moment, this will hopefully be fixed soon. I'm afraid that I don't (yet) have the skills to do this myself.

Cholmondeley

(You can see the effects of not having the icon at the bottom of the new BPlanets page on our wiki).
Comments wanted:
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:39 am
Help!

We need some new icons for Oolite versions 1.89, 1.90 & 1.91. (It probably does no harm to add in 1.92 etc as well.)

This is for the Template:IconOXP page on the wiki: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Template:IconOXP which then gets used by other OXPs...

While I do realise that we can't upload files at the moment, this will hopefully be fixed soon. I'm afraid that I don't (yet) have the skills to do this myself.

Cholmondeley

(You can see the effects of not having the icon at the bottom of the new BPlanets page on our wiki).
I just added 1.90, which is the next stable version after 1.88. Should we add development versions (like 1.89) as well? There do not seem to be icons for recent development versions in general, and I think we should focus wiki pages for OXPs on users as the target group, not developers... Other thoughts?

Also, other artistic expressions for the 1.90 icon highly welcome, it doesn't look all too great :?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

maik wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:40 pm
I think we should focus wiki pages for OXPs on users as the target group, not developers...
Yep!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

48 pix wide, hmm...

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

maik wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:40 pm
I think we should focus wiki pages for OXPs on users as the target group, not developers...
Not fussed about 1.89... And no opinions about new icon - except that it means more work for somebody.

... But thank you for the new icon!

As regards the wiki pages, I agree that users must be the focus.

But I would appreciate something reasonably simple aimed at people such as myself in terms of giving some sort of context for those tiptoeing onto the Dark Side. (Just remembering Aegidian's expostulations of the evils inherent in OXZ's.)

This would ideally include
* Simple guides to Tweaking (there is a certain amount there, which I'm hoping to expand upon as I fall upon more examples).
* Simple explanations as to what these bewildering .plists are all about and what they are good for
* Probably other stuff which I do not understand enough about to moan about

I've looked at a couple of shorter simpler .oxp's and virtually every single word in them is incomprehensible to me.

I was hoping that my interest in Oolite would encourage a minor capability in programming. Thus far, nothing. It's all opaque as ever.
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

I've started (very gingerly) editing one or two of the OXP scripting pages in our wiki.

To me, it's almost all gobbledegook. I've just rewritten the Links section for the OXP howto page in words I understand. I also restructured it what I hope is a more useful manner.

Can you please let me know if I got anything wrong?
See Also

Tools
List of software that is helpful for creating OXPs (eg. editorial packages for javascript or 3D model creators)
List of Planets used in OXPs for planets already used by other OXPs. Helps authors avoid overlapping with or breaking other OXPs.
OXP howto Game Balance to avoid conflicts from accidental gameplay changes.

Tutorials for Tools
Oolite Tutorial - Meshwork Shipbuilding (OSX only)
Oolite Tutorial - Wings 3D Shipbuilding (Cross-platform) both these links seem broken

OXP tutorials
Getting started with OXZ Development An .odt for Open Office: By Bugbear (2012). 2 example OXPs: a pirate-ridden solar systems warning tool & Witchspace Blockades
OXP Tutorial creating a new spaceship - and then tweaking it in different ways
creating a dockable station

OXP Performance BB thread (mostly 2017-8): improving your OXP (speed, etc)

Packaging and distribution
The All-in-One Guide to OXZ Packaging and Distribution.
OXP Distribution The All-in-One Guide to OXP Packaging and Distribution (and OXP_standards for advice on which ways of doing things are supported and which are not).

Gameplay Balance Indicator and Difficulty Indicator. Add these to your wiki page to show effects on Game Balance and the Difficulty Level of your OXP/OXZ. The first indicates the impact on play (equipment making the game easier/more difficult), the second indicates the suggested Elite Rating needed to attempt the mission/defeat the ship etc.Is my synopsis here correct?

OLD page
See Also

The All-in-One Guide to OXZ Packaging and Distribution.
Gameplay_and_Balance_Indicator and OXP_Levelindicators. Add to your wiki page to show affects on Game Balance, and difficulty level of your OXP/OXZ.
OXP howto Game Balance to avoid conflicts from accidental gameplay changes.
OXP Tutorial
OXP Performance
How to create dockable stations
List of software that is helpful for creating OXPs
OXP Distribution for best practices on OXP packaging and distribution, and OXP_standards for advice on which ways of doing things are supported and which are not.
List of Planets used in OXPs for planets already used by OXPs. This is to help authors avoid overlap or breaking other OXPs.

External links

Oolite Tutorial-Meshwork Shipbuilding
Oolite Tutorial-Wings 3D Shipbuilding
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Why is the wiki Frontier's Zaonce page tagged "Deletion because of capitalisation"?

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Zaonce - see bottom of page

What does this actually mean?

Edited to add: worked it out. In the early days of the wiki, there was a taboo against using more than one capital on the name of the wiki page
Last edited by Cholmondely on Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted: