Recovering "Lost" OXPs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Recovering "Lost" OXPs: The Assassins Guild

Post by dybal »

LittleBear allowed me to put a CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 notice in The Assassins Guild OXP, so I did... it's on the Expansion Manager, details in the index in the first post of the topic.

The OXP is still in legacy scripting and a candidate for a re-write in JavaScript if anybody wants to do it... I'm reluctant to do it because of, as River Song would say, "Spoilers!" :P

I'm copying here the parts of my communication with LittleBear relevant to the licensing issues and his willingness for us to maintain and upgrade The Assassins Guild OXP:
dybal wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:17 pm
montana05 and I have been trying to "recover" OXPs that aren't in the Expansion Manager - too many were in box.com and can't be downloaded from there anymore - and montana05 came up with a copy of Assassins OXP.

I looked at the readme.txt and while it's clearly a group effort, you started it, and since you're still around in the forum, I would like to ask you if you are still maintaining it, and if not, if you are ok with someone else maintaining it (that probably would need an explicit license added to it, or some note to that effect in a post in the forum, so a manifest can be added to it, if it's still functional - I guess the ships at least still are)
LittleBear wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:26 pm
I'm fine with you maintaining or updating it if you'd like to. It was the first OXP I wrote though and the orginal legacy script is about 15 years old. I think it still works but it could really do with being updated to Java. Its also probabley way too difficult now and a lot of the ships could do with having their engery knocked down a bit. But if you want to take it on that'd be great.
dybal wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:13 pm
Are you OK with me putting a CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 notice in it?

If you are, I will insert a manifest in it, upload it to the wiki, create a manifest for it in oolite.org so it's available in the Expansion Manager and annotate it in the "lost OXPs" topic as "available, presumed working, but could profit from a revision" (I might tackle it in the future... but I guess Galactic Navy is more in need of the attention :D )
LittleBear wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:59 pm
Yes thats fine.

PS: I classified it as 'missions'... if anybody knows better, please let me know and I will change the classification
Last edited by dybal on Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Recovering "Lost" OXPs

Post by montana05 »

Isis Interstellar plus some other ships uploaded to the archive. Many thanks to Norby. :)

Renegade Pirates OXP uploaded, many thanks to LittleBear :)

Edit:
ADCK's Eagles recovered and uploaded
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

If it is any help, I came across an old thread mentioning 3 missile .oxps:

Vector.oxp (I would guess that another_commander has a copy of this tucked away somewhere)
MaegilsMissiles.oxp
MilitaryMissile.oxp

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8473

there might be another one or two .oxps hidden away in there too!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:10 pm
If it is any help, I came across an old thread mentioning 3 missile .oxps:

Vector.oxp (I would guess that another_commander has a copy of this tucked away somewhere)
MaegilsMissiles.oxp
MilitaryMissile.oxp

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8473

there might be another one or two .oxps hidden away in there too!
The Vector OXP is on the Expansion Manager and here.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

It's worth noting that Svengali, the author, has declared that the current version of Vector is broken in any version of Oolite after 1.76, so if you try it out, don't be surprised to discover things aren't working.
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

phkb wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:48 am
It's worth noting that Svengali, the author, has declared that the current version of Vector is broken in any version of Oolite after 1.76, so if you try it out, don't be surprised to discover things aren't working.
Strange... I have a Vector SE (dataKey vector_player) in the collection and have used it for a couple dozen hunting/salvaging game sessions without noticing anything, either as exceptions in Latest.log or unexpected behaviour - now I wonder what I'm missing.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

dybal wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:52 am
- now I wonder what I'm missing.
Richmans World?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Link to a lo-o-ong alphabetical list of 2009 .oxp's (264 of them)

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6153

Alphabetical list is the last 2/3 of the first bulletin.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

I had a quick look at Norby's distribution of Isis Interstellar. Up to my knowledge (please correct me if I am wrong) Sothis Station, Spectre, Phantom and Wasps were never published, I need to have a closer look at these. I could remember that one or two of the others had some small bugs in the shipdata.plist. However, I will rename the files so the links could be replaced accordingly to the originals and probably create some wiki pages for the new ones.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

dybal wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:52 am
phkb wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:48 am
Strange... I have a Vector SE (dataKey vector_player) in the collection and have used it for a couple dozen hunting/salvaging game sessions without noticing anything, either as exceptions in Latest.log or unexpected behaviour - now I wonder what I'm missing.
I'm fairly sure the issue was in the balance of the OXP after some drastic changes in the core game at that point (AI most likely) rather than actual bugs.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Vector oxp ships are salvageable if license and author allows albeit without the oxp other functionality.

Here I removed the requirements and a bunch of plist to see if at least the models do show up...
( 1.91 oolite trunk )
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

New materials for GalTech are (nearly) ready, Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser got an emission map now but need some (small) fixes with diffuse, will be finished tomorrow. I do have a problem with Arachnid Mark 1 and Serpent Class Cruiser, since I got no experience with shaders at all I got no idea how to add a normal map there, any expert could help with some advice ? :)

Btw, I did assign some multiple lasers as well, not sure so if this should be added to a fix (maybe as an alternative ship) or in an entirely new package.
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

montana05 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:54 pm
Btw, I did assign some multiple lasers as well, not sure so if this should be added to a fix (maybe as an alternative ship) or in an entirely new package.
Do you have a user for oolite.org to add manifests to the Expansion Manager?

If you do and want to add it to the fix, we can ask phkb to transfer them to you, otherwise after you are satisfied with the work sent them to me and I will add them to the fix OXP (or create a new one if you prefer so).
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

montana05 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:54 pm
I do have a problem with Arachnid Mark 1 and Serpent Class Cruiser, since I got no experience with shaders at all I got no idea how to add a normal map there, any expert could help with some advice ? :)
Do you need help with creating the normal maps themselves or you have them ready and need help to add them to the ships? In the second case, can you upload the relevant shipdata.plists to pastebin or someplace similar so we can have a look?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Perhaps the difficulty lays not in the normalmap creation or adding them via 'materials'

But more in how to add normalmaps to ships with custom shaders ( custom effects )...