Get your Oolite Bulletin Board browser search plugin here!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Get your Oolite Bulletin Board browser search plugin her

Post by JazHaz »

I use the chrome search a lot. So simple to use, I type 'oolite' followed by a space in the address bar, then my search terms.

Even though it was my idea originally, I thank those who've made searching this BB so much easier.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

UK_Eliter wrote:
I resurrect this thread in order to say: thanks, Diziet Sma, for the information on the Google search plugin.
Thanks, mate.. and thanks to everyone who's contributed along the way..

@ JazHaz.. Indeed it was.. thanks again! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Edited link in original post.. The Mycroft Project site has changed something in their classification structure which broke the link.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Get your Oolite Bulletin Board browser search plugin here!

Post by Diziet Sma »

It seems that Google Chrome no longer supports the OpenSearch standard.. so the Mycroft Project plugin no longer works.. <sigh> So much for "Don't be evil".. (oh wait, that's right, the motto -and principle- had to go, because it was interfering too much with maximum financial gain)

Anyhow, having just today discovered this latest evilness, I now present the solution.

Open up Chrome's Settings page, scroll down to the 'Search' section, and click on the button marked 'Manage search engines...'

Scroll down to the bottom of the "Other search engines" section, and you will see 3 sections, labeled "Add a new search engine", "Keyword", and "URL with %s in place of query".

Enter "Oolite BB" for "Add a new search engine"
Enter "oolite" for "Keyword"
Enter "http://www.google.com/search?q=site:aegidian.org%2Fbb %s" for "URL with %s in place of query"

Now hit the "Done" button, and you're done! (you need to enter all three parameters in the one hit.. if you move to another tab or otherwise leave the page, everything you've already entered will be gone, so copy the search string to your clipboard before you start!)

To use, just enter the keyword 'oolite' into the address bar and press space. The title will change to "Search Oolite BB", and you can just type in your search terms and hit the 'enter' key to get your results. Enjoy!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Google execs will be among the first against the wall when the revolution comes, along with Suckface and his ilk!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Hmm... just tried adding the browser plugin in Firefox 79 (new install) and nothing happens. And according to this post, I have a suspicion nothing will ever happen. Anyone else having difficulty?

And also, anyone know a way to manually create your own search provider in Firefox?
Cody

Post by Cody »

I'm using the latest Waterfox (Classic), and I just removed the plug-in, then re-installed it successfully.
I expect the 'problem' will migrate from Firefox to Waterfox eventually though. Pity, it's a useful tool.

Just checked: no luck installing the plug-in in Firefox 79
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!